ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Interior LED conversion?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,932 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Then I sincerely hope I am wrong..
Wrong how? This current setup works fine I just don't like the somewhat inconsistent beam pattern. It is not unsafe, it doesn't blind anyone and is better than the HIDs they replaced. Which are not that great honestly especially once you're used to LED bulbs.
I understand, just the idea for the future..
I appreciate it.

For the wiring I don't want to de-pin anything at least not yet. With some luck I'll find some headlights at a salvage yard where I can harvest the parts I need. I might buy some different bulbs not sure I'm thinking about it.
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Wrong how?
I wasn't off to a good start with LED headlights, it may be different now that manufacturers gained more experience, but back in the day, especially with all the craze for aftermarket HID or LED headlights just starting to take off, it was such a disaster that I can't seem to get over it even today.

I trust your judgement, I am pretty sure you understand how the headlight is supposed to work, where my trust ends is in the idea that other people will follow your advice to a tee, most will just see what they want to see and claim that this is how it's supposed to be, I've seen it all too often, and this is the part where I would like to be proven wrong, if you know and understand what you are doing, doesn't mean that everybody does.

It would be interesting to see if it's possible to build something around an OEM HID headlight with the factory Auto Aim and a different housing design, which I do prefer a bit more. I still have my old beat up HID headlights that I can experiment with, maybe one day..

Originally Posted by LeX2K
With some luck I'll find some headlights at a salvage yard where I can harvest the parts I need.
Pretty much all Lexus HID headlights, at least of that era, came with this connector, but a 2nd-gen GS did come with a standalone male housing, here are a few pictures of its ballast, unless you can find a Diesel Toyota casually sitting at the junkyard to take it off of its fuel filter it would likely be the best bet. Otherwise, it won't take but a minute to re-pin the old housing back in its place with no consequences, just sayin'.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; Yesterday at 10:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,932 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
I wasn't off to a good start with LED headlights, it may be different now that manufacturers gained more experience, but back in the day, especially with all the craze for aftermarket HID or LED headlights just starting to take off, it was such a disaster that I can't seem to get over it even today.
5 years ago LED bulbs were a joke maybe there were exceptions but I never found any. They tried all kinds of crazy designs, 4 sided emitters, 3 sided COB panels etc. none of them worked properly. Now there are many good ones they learned to put the emitters such that the output is as close to the original filament as possible. It works, and why it works is the LEDs fire left/right and have about 120 degree field which is enough to flood the bowl and produce about the same beam pattern. For projector there is less of an issue but single lens projectors by their nature reduce light output which is why most auto makers don't use them anymore.
I trust your judgement, I am pretty sure you understand how the headlight is supposed to work, where my trust ends is in the idea that other people will follow your advice to a tee, most will just see what they want to see and claim that this is how it's supposed to be, I've seen it all too often, and this is the part where I would like to be proven wrong, if you know and understand what you are doing, doesn't mean that everybody does.
People are stuck in the past, and once a narrative takes hold it sticks. I see over and over again people saying don't use LED bulbs you'll blind everyone. They've never tried themselves but are convinced it is true. I have shown people flat out that the output is good, they don't care.

What's crazy to me is people are willing to sacrifice safety, halogen bulbs are straight up a joke on a country road.
It would be interesting to see if it's possible to build something around an OEM HID headlight with the factory Auto Aim and a different housing design, which I do prefer a bit more. I still have my old beat up HID headlights that I can experiment with, maybe one day..
Best way IMO is graft for example an H7 bulb panel/socket onto the HID unit this will work. You can buy LED bulbs that replace HIDs but selection is limited otherwise I would have tried a set. I personally don't find the auto leveling useful it does the self check and ends up in the same place all the time. I've even had several people in the car and the difference in height doesn't justify the complexity.

I'm sure at some point I'll come across the proper connectors that's about the least of my challenges for this project.