ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replacing Mode Servo Motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 07:29 AM
cqjpboyd
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Mode Servo Motor

I need to replace my mode servo motor on a 2006 Lexus ES330.

Air is only blowing from the front windshield vent and the four side dashpanel vents. According to my owner’s manual that would be the “Front Windshield Defrost” mode. No mater what mode I select, nothing changes.

My question is, when I remove the defective mode servo motor, will the three vent levers/pins stay in the “Front Windshield Defrost” position? Are those levers/pins easily moved by gravity or by touching them? If the levers/pins do not move, I should be able to connect the new mode servo motor to the wire harness and select the “Front Windshield Defrost” mode, and the black disk on the back of the servo motor should move into the correct position for that mode. My thought is if I then install the new servo motor, the black disk should be in the correct position (Front Windshield Defrost Mode) to accommodate the levers/pins. That’s assuming none of the levers/pins moved.

Does this make sense?
Old 01-07-24, 02:59 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello,

There is nothing really that will hold all the doors in place, so once you take the Servo off, some of the doors will move to an arbitrary position, at least as far as I am aware. You will then have to approximate the position of the doors to the position of the tracks, aligning them in such a way that they stay in place on their own, while also being in line with the tracks. Below is a video of a newer Camry, while the setup is different, it will at least give you an idea of what to expect.

In this thread, it appears that the Plate was not aligned with the doors, it seems like OP has missed one of the doors entirely, causing an issue described, but since he never followed up, there is no way of knowing what in particular was the cause.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 01-08-24, 12:46 PM
cqjpboyd
9th Gear

Arsenii,

Thank you for your response. I was hoping the levers/vent doors would stay in the "Front Window Defrost " position when I remove the defective servo, but I guess not. Is it correct that if I connect the wire harness to the new servo, and select the "Front Window Defrost" mode, the black disk on the new servo will rotate to the correct position for that mode? I guess what I'll have to do is move the levers so air comes out of the just the front windshield vent and the four side vents which is the "Front Window Defrost" mode and hope the tracks on the new servo line up with the pins on the levers and hope they don't move. Or, could I position the levers/vent doors in some mode where they stay in place, then with the wire harness connected to the new servo, select that mode and hope the tracks are lined up when I reinstall it?
Old 01-08-24, 01:35 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

The thing is that this system is somehow assembled at a factory, so there has to be a specific position where all the doors stay put. With that, the only way to know would be to get a Factory Service Manual for your car, here is an official Toyota website where you can get a 2 day access to all Service Manuals for about $25.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 02-06-24, 01:29 PM
poorsoigrabwrench
8th Gear

I've replaced driver/passenger blend servos(tried to clean with no luck) and I just removed them, plug new one in but don't seat it, then turn ignition on and they both just moved. Then remove key, and screwed in new servo. Not sure if that's correct but I have heat on both sides now.