ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New Head Unit? Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-03, 03:43 PM
sk8er251cc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Head Unit? Should I?

I was thinking about getting an alpine head unit but I'm afraid of losing the cleaness of my car. Has anyone gotten a new head unit and gotten someone to install a custom wood trim around it? Please send pics.
Attached Thumbnails New Head Unit? Should I?-ben-stock-head.jpg  
Old 11-12-03, 04:40 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

ive seen a head unit installed with custom wood trim but i cant seem to find the website or a picture. i remember the guy who installed it saying he took a piece of wood trim and did the cutting and trimming with a lazer! if u go to any car audio shop, the owner will give u a funny look and say, "oh no! its one these things!" making a custom plate is pain in the a$$ b/c of the way the air vents and aircon buttons line up in a slight curve. a simple plate made of mdf and vinyl will cost u $200! imo, if you're more concerned with appearance than sound, dont go for the head unit. the stock audio unit is very decent. my reason for changing my unit was because my car didnt come with a cd changer and i though it would be cheaper to go with an mp3 unit instead, but that wasnt the case.
Old 11-12-03, 04:55 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm.. my friends audio shop does it for $100 (make the mdf wood & vinyl trim) but he made it for me for $50... if you go with a new head unit.. make sure its a very knowledgable shop...

alpine isnt so great IMO
Old 11-12-03, 05:13 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

I don't remember who, but someone around here uses the stock radio face with the wood on it, and just puts it on top of the aftermarket head unit, so it conceals the new head... If that makes sense.
Old 11-12-03, 06:17 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i would keep it stock if i were you it just looks cleaner..plus it doesnt stop you from having nice sounds out of the stock head unit..Im runnig 2 rockford fosgate 12's w/ a punch amp and it sounds great.nobody knows i have sound until i turn it on.
Attached Thumbnails New Head Unit? Should I?-system.jpg  
Old 11-12-03, 09:29 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I definitly like the look when you keep it stock... So much cleaner then having a big black area then this ackward little head unit staring back at you.. Anyway, just my opinion.. that's why I liked the setup I described earlier.
Old 11-12-03, 09:45 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by sk8er251cc
I was thinking about getting an alpine head unit but I'm afraid of losing the cleaness of my car. Has anyone gotten a new head unit and gotten someone to install a custom wood trim around it? Please send pics.
I would keep the HU the way it is, especially with the unique stock wood trim. The '00-'01 ES stereo is already pushing 195-watts, pretty substantial for a stock system IMO. The placement of the button controls and dials on the stereo matches well with the rest of the interior, something that I'd hate to mess around with
Old 11-12-03, 11:12 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would keep it stock as well, it is very clean
Old 11-12-03, 11:21 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep it stock man, lexus radios have great highs already, just add subs.
Old 11-12-03, 11:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

in 90% of the cars i'd say chunk the factory system, however that is not the case in a Lexus. Our systems are comparible with %70 of the aftermarket head units on S/N and power output. No need to change, just upgrade the rest with high end components.
Old 11-13-03, 10:34 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd keep it stock, I love the easy-to use buttons on the stock unit, and the bird's eye maple on the Platinum Series is just too gorgeous to replace. And I agree with Lexusk8 and OLT about the high quality of the factory Pioneer unit.
Old 11-13-03, 08:15 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Default New Head Unit? Should I?

sk8er251cc,

Just a thought but, the picture you posted shows what looks like to be a large 'double din' factory radio. If it is in fact a double din, then you could replace it with an Alpine double din radio and flush mount it so you don't have to replace the maple trim. Then the volume **** on the left of the radio can just be there as a dummy to keep the stock apearance.

I have been using Alpine for approx. 23 yrs and I just love them. I think they sound really great!

Good luck!
Old 11-13-03, 09:10 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New Head Unit? Should I?

Originally posted by RX469
sk8er251cc,

Just a thought but, the picture you posted shows what looks like to be a large 'double din' factory radio. If it is in fact a double din, then you could replace it with an Alpine double din radio and flush mount it so you don't have to replace the maple trim. Then the volume **** on the left of the radio can just be there as a dummy to keep the stock apearance.

I have been using Alpine for approx. 23 yrs and I just love them. I think they sound really great!

Good luck!
The radio is actually trapezoidal (the part with the wood and the part with the plastic are one unit. The area that the wood covers does give the illusion of a double-DIN (see the area I circled in blue), but alas, does not pull out separately
Attached Thumbnails New Head Unit? Should I?-radio.jpg  
Old 11-14-03, 05:32 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by squarehat
The radio is actually trapezoidal (the part with the wood and the part with the plastic are one unit. The area that the wood covers does give the illusion of a double-DIN (see the area I circled in blue), but alas, does not pull out separately
That's an interesting observation squarehat, I never really paid attention about that. I think this actually makes it more difficult or nearly impossible for a thief to steal the ES stereo
Old 11-14-03, 09:29 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I wouldn't say to steal it because its not that hard to remove....however I'd say its a challenge for them to move iut on the black market. (You'd have to find a lexus owner looking to replace their headunit with the exact same one...well not a super hard thing to do if you stand outside of the dealer and try to scalp it LOLZ)

Quick Reply: New Head Unit? Should I?