ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New to me 2000 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-24, 04:32 PM
andrade922
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New to me 2000 ES300

Hey guys,

I bought this Platinum edition ES300recently and I want to start giving it some TLC. I aim to get 300k miles on this baby. Currently at 92k miles. Some pics here HERE
Seller told me this car had one owner who would regularly take the vehicle to the dealership for maintenance. When I pulled the cabin air filter it was filthy making me think otherwise.
The vehicle turns on without any issues and shifts smooth with the A/C on blast. I haven't had time to register the vehicle yet to test more of its components but from my visual inspection and thoughts I have developed this list of things to do. (Not in any order)
Seller told me they put in a new battery and new brakes (which I will inspect).
  • Timing belt and water pump (I will out source the labor)
  • Oil change
  • Transmission flush
  • Engine and cabin air filters
  • New spark plugs
  • Replace all cracked power steering hoses
  • CV axles
  • New tires.
  • Maybe valve cover gaskets (No leaks visible)
  • Add a fuel additive (Seafoam?)
I also noticed the coolant reservoir is below the low level. I plan to keep an eye on the temp gauge and add coolant to the radiator and after it hits running temperature check the level again and inspect for any leaks.
No check engine lights on but I want to buy a OB2 scanner just to be sure.

Are there any other repairs/maintenance that I should add to the list?
What do you think about using Seafoam?
Thanks

Last edited by andrade922; 01-26-24 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-26-24, 06:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by andrade922
  • Add a fuel additive (Seafoam?)
I've tried Seafoam as a fuel treatment the only thing I noticed is when the stuff was in the tank, mileage dropped drastically. I noticed no improvement after that. On the cabin filter dealers are known to charge for work they never do. I know that's not a nice thing to hear but I have considerable experience with this it's all too common. Don't assume the dealer did everything they charged for.

Don't forget about brake fluid.
The following users liked this post:
andrade922 (02-12-24)
Old 01-27-24, 01:44 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 348 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I've tried Seafoam as a fuel treatment the only thing I noticed is when the stuff was in the tank, mileage dropped drastically. I noticed no improvement after that. On the cabin filter dealers are known to charge for work they never do. I know that's not a nice thing to hear but I have considerable experience with this it's all too common. Don't assume the dealer did everything they charged for.

Don't forget about brake fluid.
He’s very right. A few *small* side comments

1- Especially don’t assume plugs were done; I’ve found two of these where they never did the rear bank plugs (very hard to get to) yet claimed to have been done. They did the front bank, which could be easily examined, but lied about the rear. Put in top-quality iridium plugs so you can rest easy for 100 or 125k (yes they will last that long). You need several intake gaskets for the full job, so google it. Also the PCV valve. Doing PS pump or hose will be easier at this time as you create a lot of extra clearance.

2- Absolutely don’t forget brake fluid; good point.

3- SeaFoam is good stuff, but only when you need it, or else it does nothing as L2k noted. Chemtool B-12 is stronger (so use less) and cheaper. Maybe one dose for peace of mind? (Or use PEA - more below). If the car sat a long time w/o running, a single dose is not a bad idea. It can be magic for motorcycles (saved me MANY carb rebuilds over the years) for that reason. Cars that are at least driven occasionally/gas not sitting a long time - it’s not as important. If you want to do a fuel system clean, Techron or Gumout Regane is much better - uses PEA as a cleaner (same as Techron in Chevron gas). Vastly more effective chemical vs. the harsh solvents in SeaFoam or B-12.

4- When you do the T-belt, don’t neglect the idler and tensioner pulleys. They wear out/age out also. I lost a t-belt on a vehicle at 150k miles (Acura/isuzu) because the dealer did not change the pulley, despite doing the t-belt.

5- Before you do the transmission fluid swap, consider running some seafoam or B-12 a few days or short period before the fluid swap. It will clean up the valve body. I’ve had great success with this on several transmissions.

6- - As to Valve cover gaskets, my guide is to reach back and run a finger along the back bank cover, towards the firewall, just below the cover/head seam. If it comes up with traces of clean oil (may be mixed with dirt so look closely), then you need to do it. If it’s not heavily oiled/slimy, then just check it every 10k miles or so.

Looks like a great car. Looks like it has been garaged so use 303 on exterior parts not waxed since you are in Fla., if it is not garaged all the time. Also, if you polish that R headlight to match the replacement L one, that will help it from hazing again as quickly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oro:
andrade922 (02-12-24), LeX2K (01-27-24)
Old 01-28-24, 10:45 AM
Texasdeere
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good find! Looks Very Nice!

You might try the My Lexus website. https://www.lexus.com/My-Lexus

The 2004 ES I just bought had an extensive service history that I was able to pull up after registering.

Sounds like you have a good plan to go over the car and just check out everything.
andrade922 (02-12-24)
Old 02-04-24, 07:50 AM
My99ES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned a 99 ES300 since new in 1999 and I'll just mention a few things that have gone bad with mine, so you can keep it on your radar:

- VVT solenoids ( I replaced both at one point)
- Knock Sensor (I still need to replace the 2 of these, but it causes the car to not shift into overdrive and it sucks. It's a real pain getting to it and I'll do both when I do the valve cover gaskets)
- Oil leaks in valve covers (I'm in the process of replacing these)
- MAF sensor (easy to replace. But you can also try cleaning it)

Good luck! The older this car gets, the more I love it! (BTW, I bought the "Coach" edition in 1999, and I believe that's what you have as well. It came with Coach leather bags and suit carrier. I still have them! I have the exact same color scheme and interior as yours).
andrade922 (02-12-24)
Old 02-10-24, 05:40 PM
somethingfornothing
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car. Too bad they had to ruin it and put in that awful transmission. As a result, the 97 and 98 were more reliable.