ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

window auto up

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 07:45 PM
mmsafd
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried dismounting the motor from the reg tonight. I hooked up the motor and ran it through a couple of cycle off the reg. It acted a little funny at first kicking back some. Then went full cycle up and down. I then installed the motor on to the reg. I started it with the spring relaxed. I am assuming that is the up most position in the cycle? The motor moved the reg no issues. I reinstalled in the door. Installed the window. And after all that it does exactly the same as before. If I use the auto up it will not work. It kicks back down.
Old 02-22-24, 07:53 PM
mmsafd
Rookie

As for the blinking light on the RR window switch. I gave that one a try. There is a faint click in the door but that window will not roll down at all. I may need to help it a bit when I get a hand. I tried the RR door switch and the RR on the driver door same result.
Old 02-24-24, 08:51 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hmm, if I understand correctly, what happens in Auto Mode on the Front windows is it goes All the way up, then comes back down a few inches, if so, it is an incorrectly set limit switch. Kinda have to wonder if this more or less transition model even had a *manual* window limit setting procedure, aka pull the switch up for some time, as older 3rd-gen ES had a Physical switch on the regulator, here is a thread about it.

Depending on how desperate you are to get to the bottom of it, one of the options could be getting Techstream cable and trying to force the reset of window regulators, while it's not too expensive, could be a bit of a chore to set up, and I would get a separate computer for it, though it should be a LOT easier than it was for my 2000 ES300 as you already have a CAN bus for communication. You can also try investing into a proper Manual for your car, here is an official Toyota website, where for $20 you get full access for all the manuals out there for 2 days, you can download them as well to be used after the access expires.

One more thing, the Rear windows, it appears that you ran into the same issue that all 4th-gen ES owners will encounter one day with the window getting jammed due to a fault with a seal or something like that, here is a thread about it. It seems like resolving it the proper way it a bit too complex, especially 20 years after this car has been released, but slamming the door shut a few times while holding the switch Down seems to do the trick for the most part.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 02-24-24 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-25-24, 08:24 AM
mmsafd
Rookie

I did try the hold the button up and down thing. No help still not working correctly. It does go down properly both down and auto down. Also goes up. Just not auto up. Auto up goes all the way up most of the time then goes back down 2/3rds ish of the way.
Old 05-23-24, 07:28 AM
mmsafd
Rookie

Ok, this is definitely annoying. My driver window is a mess. If I try to use the auto up it goes up part way and then goes right back down. I can use the up position sometimes and it will behave. Other times it goes back down. If the car is not running the window will not go up at all. Auto up and regular up. Is that a voltage problem? Battery is new.

Both of the rear windows will not go down. I had them working but now they just click. It seem like they are stuck. I lubed the tracks with white lithium grease. I will try to force them down when I get someone to push the switch while I pull down on both sides.

These windows are a hot mess. Thank goodness the A/C works amazing. Are newer Lexus prone to these type of window issues also or just the older ones?
Old 05-23-24, 02:49 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

As mentioned before, the Front window goes part way down because it is not set correctly, and is sensing the Obstruction sooner than it expects, taking it as a hand jammed in the opening. To set it, my 2000 ES has a separate Button the regulator, I am not sure if it is the same for your model, probably not, to find out, you will likely need a Factory Service Manual for your car, here is a place to get it.

As for why it won't go Up at all if the engine is Off, not sure, it could be more than one factor, like for example a damaged Return Spring in the Regulator putting the full load on the Motor, which it's not designed for. How quickly does the Window go Down compared to lifting back Up?

The rear windows, it's a pretty common occurrence among those cars, there was a flaw with the seal if I understand correctly, jamming the window. Sometimes you can go around it by slamming the door shut a few times while holding the Switch in Down position.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 05-30-24, 07:06 PM
rigged87
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Damnit you guys made me realize i do have this issue. I just never use the auto up feature on the drivers side. Only down, so i didn’t notice until trying today. It won’t go all way up. It stops about 3 inches short. Same spot each time, so clearly the end point is set incorrectly. I tried the hold down and up for certain amount of time and the slam door method. Nothing working so far.

guessing i have to take it apart. Should have gone with a used OE window motor
Old 05-30-24, 07:08 PM
rigged87
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

literally the exact issue I’m having. Wasn’t until i got this new motor installed. Should have gone used with low miles

Originally Posted by mmsafd
I did try the hold the button up and down thing. No help still not working correctly. It does go down properly both down and auto down. Also goes up. Just not auto up. Auto up goes all the way up most of the time then goes back down 2/3rds ish of the way.