ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

CD player repair in Los Angeles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 09:53 PM
jonrocklin
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CD player repair in Los Angeles?

CD ejection mechanism jams cds in my 2002 ES300 radio. Told parts are no longer available. Anyone know of a repair place in the Los Angeles area that can fix it?
Old 01-29-24, 07:41 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 379 Posts

I think what usually goes on is the springs get weak and the lube in the plastic gears dries. I had this problem on another similar vintage stereo/cd unit. A handy person or tech can indeed fix it, but they are hard to find, and DIY can be finicky.

Another option is a modern single DIN player, or Car-play type double DIN (which gives you a cheap back-up camera option, btw). The retrofit facia kits are surprisingly affordable, and then you can plug anything in quickly with a Metra harness adapter. The retrofit kits look totally factory and match perfectly; I can’t tell it’s not the original and I’m picky enough to notice stuff like that.

Retrofit kit:
Amazon Amazon

Ours has a double din with the camera, Carplay, which also provides hands-free calling, GPS route/map display, etc. Really not much money for what it is and gives vs. the cost of repairing 20+ year old tech.
Old 02-02-24, 11:36 PM
jonrocklin
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
I think what usually goes on is the springs get weak and the lube in the plastic gears dries. I had this problem on another similar vintage stereo/cd unit. A handy person or tech can indeed fix it, but they are hard to find, and DIY can be finicky.

Another option is a modern single DIN player, or Car-play type double DIN (which gives you a cheap back-up camera option, btw). The retrofit facia kits are surprisingly affordable, and then you can plug anything in quickly with a Metra harness adapter. The retrofit kits look totally factory and match perfectly; I can’t tell it’s not the original and I’m picky enough to notice stuff like that.

Retrofit kit:
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-8158...0079VS28U?th=1

Ours has a double din with the camera, Carplay, which also provides hands-free calling, GPS route/map display, etc. Really not much money for what it is and gives vs. the cost of repairing 20+ year old tech.
Thank you so much for your reply - your diagnosis sounds 100% correct. However, I'm tech challenged. If I understand your advice, can you recommend where I can get a cd player to fit into the facia kit? I want to keep the cassette player since its working fine. Is replacing the springs and lube the gears even possible for a reasonable cost or am I SOL finding a reliable repair place locally in the LA area that is willing to do it? Please advise if you or anyone knows of any. Many thanks.