ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Test drove my first ES330 today -- have Qs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-24 | 09:56 AM
natesi
Driver

One other question (not sure if anyone knows): This ES330 has the original Lexus installed clear-bra on the hood and front fenders. It's not cracking but it is yellowing -- probably needs to come off soon. Do you think I need to be worried about the paint peeling off with it though? I thought these things only lasted 10 years, tops. But I'm guessing this car was garaged and that's what saved it. Still: 20 years on the hood -- makes me wonder if the paint will come off with it.
Old 02-01-24 | 10:09 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

No you don't have to worry about paint damage. I have a 35 year old car that had clear film for 20 years the paint under it was pristine. On the downside it was insanely difficult to remove it came off in tiny pieces.
The following users liked this post:
natesi (02-01-24)
Old 02-01-24 | 10:35 AM
Texasdeere
Rookie

New KYB Front Struts fixed my ES330's handling. As far as the shifting goes. It's when the transmission is warm or close to full temp after driving a while and pulling away from a stop with normal acceleration. I think it's either the 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th shift. It' random when it happens. Probably the shift programming everyone talks about.
natesi (02-01-24)
Old 02-01-24 | 10:42 AM
Texasdeere
Rookie

One thing I do remember, my 2004 RX330 with what I would assume is the same drivetrain always shifted fine. Perhaps different programing.
natesi (02-02-24)
Old 02-01-24 | 01:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texasdeere
One thing I do remember, my 2004 RX330 with what I would assume is the same drivetrain always shifted fine. Perhaps different programing.
Which is the same as the Highlander's I've driven, the programming must be different since the hesitation problem is not there.
natesi (02-02-24)
Old 02-02-24 | 03:19 PM
natesi
Driver

Just an update, if anyone is interested....

I called the dealership yesterday and talked to the owner -- he didn't know about the dash lights. He said he'd check it out and get back to me.

Just got off the phone with him: Said he said he took it on a pretty long test drive and couldn't recreate the issue at all, which is baffling since it did it to me twice. BUT all their cars come with a 3 month / 3000 mile warranty (that covers major engine and transmission failures) -- and he could also include the ABS issue as well. So that is nice.

In regards to price: He was only willing to come down $500, or install some new (cheap-***) tires on it at the full asking price (of $9990). I hate cheap tires, so not interested in that option.

He seemed like a really nice guy though and I appreciated the follow up. He said I can come take another look and do a closer inspection and another test drive, even if I'm not sure I'm going to buy it -- so that was really cool.

I'll probably pass though, just due to the price -- even though the car has a lot going for it. I mean, they are asking MORE than Carfax History Based Value in "excellent" condition (which is currently $9100). And I'm not sure if I believe there's such a thing as an excellent condition 20-year-old car. The inside is in like-new shape, but the exterior has a good amount of blemishes - including a crease in the front bumper and cracked paint. Aside from the tires, it still is going to need a very expensive timing belt service in a year and some other things (the two front door window motors looked like they were just about ready to croak, they washed the engine so I'm thinking the value cover gaskets could very well need to be done as there's no history of that on the lexus site, and it's never had a thermostat). Nothing crazy; just maintenance, but expensive maintenance -- a good set of tires is $900 after mounting and taxes, alone. For $10K the car should be damn near perfect. If the price were just a little better I'd probably jump on it -- I may think it over and consider a counter offer if the car has not sold in a couple weeks.

I think 2024 will be a buyer's market; not a seller's market -- and car prices will continue to come decline. So if I miss this one there might be some better values down the line. I spotted an ad for a 2005 ES330 with the same mileage for $9K, a couple hours north of me, which would be a better deal than this (1 year newer and more features). The 2005 had steering wheel controls as well as cooled seats - both of which would be a big plus, for me. That car appears to have sold, but just an example.

Anyway, thanks for the help, everyone -- I really appreciate it. Hope to make an ES330 my next car.

LeX2K (02-02-24)
Old 02-02-24 | 03:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by natesi
Just got off the phone with him: Said he said he took it on a pretty long test drive and couldn't recreate the issue at all, which is baffling since it did it to me twice.
No sales person is ever going to say, yes I drove it and I found the same flaw you did.
BUT all their cars come with a 3 month / 3000 mile warranty (that covers major engine and transmission failures) -- and he could also include the ABS issue as well. So that is nice.
Red flags and sirens. Sales people will say whatever it takes to get your money after they have it the after sales experience will be nothing but run around. They know most people eventually give up. I'm not saying all sales outlets are like this, but in my experience they all are to at least some extent. Accept the car AFTER any issues are fixed, until that point give them $0.

It is a sellers market for sure. Thanks for the update.
Old 02-02-24 | 03:33 PM
natesi
Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
No sales person is ever going to say, yes I drove it and I found the same flaw you did.

Red flags and sirens. Sales people will say whatever it takes to get your money after they have your money the after sales experience will be nothing but run around. They know most people eventually give up. I'm not saying all sales outlets are like this, but in my experience they all are to at least some extent.

It is a sellers market for sure. Thanks for the update.
Yeah, I questioned him about the warranty -- because I was curious how they could just ad an item to it, ala carte -- if it is underwritten by a 3rd party. Seemed like BS to me too. But once I talked to him about it more it seemed legit -- their basic 3000 mile powertrain warranty is not underwritten -- they guarantee it themselves. So they can add anything to it they want, at the time of sale.

I've delt with a lot of shady car lots as well as pushy a-hole sales people that care nothing about you and only want your money. This guy seemed pretty decent to me, but I do agree that in the car biz, you never know -- there's so many bad-actors it's hard to trust anyone. I'm always skeptical of anything they tell me as well.