ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

P018 & 19 code

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-24, 08:35 PM
Spinderella
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P018 & 19 code

Hi everyone, my daughter has a 2003 es300. She had the waterpump and timing belt replaced because the waterpump was leaking. Well after the work was done the check engine light is on and the code says p018 & 19. My son in law did the work. Im thinking it should have gone to the shop. There are 279,000 miles on the car so it probably wouldnt have been worth it. Any idea how to correct this? The car seems to be running fine.
Old 02-09-24, 09:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

The code is P0018, crankshaft position sensor fault. P0019 means the cam and crank and not synchronized as expected. Most like the crank sensor is unplugged or damaged.
Old 02-10-24, 11:50 AM
Spinderella
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your reply. Where exactly can I find this sensor?
Old 02-10-24, 07:47 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

Here is a thread on the similar issue, which ended up being the Timing Belt getting misplaced, causing the codes. Try taking the Top Belt Cover to access the Camshaft timing marks, then use the Harmonic Balancer mark for the Crankshaft, and see if all of them line up correctly. One of the important takeaways from the thread linked earlier is that the Spark Plugs must be out to get an accurate alignment, otherwise you will keep fighting the Compression to get everything aligned.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 02-10-24, 08:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Arsenii
One of the important takeaways from the thread linked earlier is that the Spark Plugs must be out to get an accurate alignment, otherwise you will keep fighting the Compression to get everything aligned.
Or use the marks on the belt, this method is fool proof.

Old 02-11-24, 07:56 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Or use the marks on the belt, this method is fool proof.
^^^ THIS

Installation comments:
  • Ensure you orient the belt correctly. Mine had arrows showing which edge faces out. If you do not follow this point, the pre-established timing index lines printed on belt will not line up with cam/crank indexes’.
  • The belt will be installed in a counter clockwise direction. It is important, as you work through belt install, you keep the belt taught, removing the slack.
  1. Starting at the crank sprocket, find the dashed painted index line on the timing belt, line that up with the SPECIFIC index mark on the face of the crank sprocket. There are two marks, I show in the photo below which one to use for the belt install
  2. Then around the water pump pulley
  3. Then around Bank 2 - Left Hand cam gear (the one on the right as you face the engine) - The printed index line on the belt should line up with the index mark on the cam gear. - Ensure you have pulled any slack out of the belt without puling too hard which could move the crank sprocket
  4. Place a spring clamp on the cam gear securing the belt
  5. Then under Idler Pulley No 2
  6. Then around Bank 1- Right Hand cam gear (the one on the left as you face the engine) - The printed index line on the belt should line up with the index mark on the cam gear
  7. Place a spring clamp on the cam gear securing the belt
  8. At this stage, look at the index mark on the timing cover (I used a mirror). While the index line on the belt lines up perfectly on the cam gear index mark, it may show the cam gear/belt not lining up with the index mark on the timing cover, like mine did. This was due to slack. I slightly rotated the cam gear counter clockwise (the belt has already been clamped to the gear) and the index marks line up perfectly. This step is more of a reference check ensuring all is good up to this point.
  9. Then Idler Pulley No 1
  10. Then belt should be in place perfectly at the crank sprocket
  11. Double check your printed index lines on timing belt with index marks on crank/cam gears. They should line up perfectly.
  • I removed the spring clamps holding the belt to the cam gears after I installed & pulled the pin on the tensioner
Spring clamp I used was similar to this one
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...ther&gclsrc=ds