ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Antifreeze type: does it really matter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 06:23 PM
bill5
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Antifreeze type: does it really matter?

I've read about some Toyota "long life" stuff that's supposed to be all that...but is it "necessary" or will regular stuff work fine, just maybe not last as long?
Old 04-06-24, 07:00 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

It's a topic still full of debate to this day, most likely from the old days and some very cheap or incompatible products. The thing is that there were cases of incorrect antifreeze not only ruining the seals, but actually eroding the channels in the engine, causing seals to leak even if they were brand new, as the surface they sat on is now worn away.

I doubt it's still such a menace this day, especially now where more or less everyone is using similar ingredients. With that said, Toyota coolant is among the best out there, some even use it in cars other than Toyota, and all that at a pretty descent price at some dealerships.

To answer your question, as long as you get some high quality, Ethylene-Glycol antifreeze, you shouldn't have any issues, just make sure to flush every bit of the old stuff out as a precaution, run distilled water through it until it comes out clean, and only then use the coolant of your choosing, better be safe than sorry. For the amount of times you will need to change it in car's life however, even if there is any price benefit, it is pretty much negligible.

P.S. Also, just realized that you have a 2004 ES330, please make sure to include Year and Model next time, as it actually uses Super Long Life, Pink coolant. While Toyota says it is *technically* compatible, all it means is that it won't turn into acid immediately, so I wouldn't rely on it. Here is a link to get it, they only sell it as 50/50.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 04-06-24 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-06-24, 07:52 PM
bill5
Driver

Yeah that's what I meant about the long life stuff. Frak. I already bought some general purpose (Fram) stuff. Silly me I figured pretty much antifreeze is antifreeze....
Old 04-06-24, 08:13 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bill5
I already bought some general purpose (Fram) stuff. Silly me I figured pretty much antifreeze is antifreeze....
Is Fram making Antifreeze now..? Boy am I getting old. Not like I trusted them before, and I for sure will not start now, so my biased list of suggestions is as follows - return it, give it to a friend you don't like, or get it to the hazard waste facility as soon as possible.

Frak.
And it's not even that much cheaper than Genuine OEM, man what are you doing with your life??
The following users liked this post:
Lexanna (04-23-24)
Old 04-06-24, 10:09 PM
bill5
Driver

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Is Fram making Antifreeze now..? Boy am I getting old. Not like I trusted them before, and I for sure will not start now, so my biased list of suggestions is as follows - return it, give it to a friend you don't like, or get it to the hazard waste facility as soon as possible.
Well you're honest in your bias, I'll give you that.

And it's not even that much cheaper than Genuine OEM, man what are you doing with your life??
Sorry I have no idea what this statement even means. "Genuine OEM?"
Old 04-06-24, 10:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Using genuine Toyota coolant is about the cheapest insurance there is. I am quite amazed the lengths people will go to not buy genuine parts especially coolant.

Well you're honest in your bias, I'll give you that.
Why are you asking for advice then ignoring it?
Old 04-06-24, 10:18 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Sorry I have no idea what this statement even means. "Genuine OEM?"
OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer, aka the companies that actually produce the parts that are installed in your car from the conveyor, Toyota doesn't make all the parts from scratch, most of them are sourced from other suppliers, which makes them a LOT cheaper. Some OEM manufacturers for Toyota are Denso, Aisin, Koyo, etc.

Genuine is just that, means that it is not a fake or counterfeit item that eBay and Amazon are full of. When you see a "Toyota" part with a 90% price cut on it, there is a solid chance that you are being taken for a ride unfortunately.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Using genuine Toyota coolant is about the cheapest insurance there is. I am quite amazed the lengths people will go to not buy genuine parts especially coolant.
Well you are not alone..

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 04-06-24, 10:22 PM
bill5
Driver

I buy "genuine" parts if I feel it's merited. I'm not going to any great lengths to do or not do so. Sometimes it's merited; sometimes it's not and it's just pissing money away for no good reason.

Why are you asking for advice then ignoring it?
1) I'm not ignoring it, I'm simply questioning it
2 ) Because by your own admission, it's quite biased and no reason given for such bias. What is it that has you so "anti Fram?"

Last edited by bill5; 04-06-24 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-06-24, 10:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I buy "genuine" parts if I feel it's merited. I'm not going to any great lengths to do or not do so. Sometimes it's merited; sometimes it's not and it's just pissing money away for no good reason.
That's your choice I'm not trying to impose my will. You made a thread asking, if you don't like the answers then ignore but don't know why you'd make a thread if you are simply going to ignore the advice.
1) I'm not ignoring it, I'm simply questioning it
You're looking for us to confirm your bias ironically.
2 ) Because by your own admission, it's quite biased and no reason given for such bias. What is it that has you so "anti Fram?"
Not all bias is bad have you thought of that? Of course we're biased, Toyota LLC and SLLC is proven to be incredibly effective and long lasting I've seen this in my own cars and many others the cooling system stays pristine. What am I supposed to do, look at that and say well I don't want to be biased so I'll ignore the results.

So use the Fram coolant and be happy, it's just as good as Toyota because we're biased. Fin.
The following users liked this post:
fortitude (04-07-24)
Old 04-06-24, 10:35 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

What is it that has you so "anti Fram?"
I have always known them as a manufacturer of Oil Filters up until now, and dubious ones at best, their quality, at least in the olden days, left a lot to be desired, just look it up, even if all the reviews and legends of busted engines are not true, Fram is the only company that managed to gather such appalling reputation around itself, no one else will have so many debates and conspiracies surrounding it, hence why I am so opposed to it, and hence my Clearly marked, Very biased opinion. I don't know, they may have changed while I wasn't looking, but this train is too far gone, I will stick with OEM wherever possible, especially for such negligible price difference.

Old 04-06-24, 10:39 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Almost without fail Toyota's with aftermarket parts end up with all manner of issues. You know what issues my Toyota/Lexus cars have? Almost none because I use OEM or OEM equivalent parts but that's just me. If Fram products meet your quality standards then great.

BTW I'm told the upper end Fram filters are decent but I don't care after dozens or even hundreds of oil changes I've done never had one single problem with OE Toyota filters. Plus the straight cut gasket on most filters is stupid, O-ring style is far better.
Old 04-07-24, 01:26 PM
bill5
Driver

That's your choice I'm not trying to impose my will. You made a thread asking, if you don't like the answers then ignore but don't know why you'd make a thread if you are simply going to ignore the advice.

You're looking for us to confirm your bias ironically.

Not all bias is bad have you thought of that? Of course we're biased, Toyota LLC and SLLC is proven to be incredibly effective and long lasting I've seen this in my own cars and many others the cooling system stays pristine. What am I supposed to do, look at that and say well I don't want to be biased so I'll ignore the results.

So use the Fram coolant and be happy, it's just as good as Toyota because we're biased. Fin.
Snowflakes Relax dude. I just asked a question. Never ceases to amaze me how some people have a hissy if anyone dares question anything they say in any way.

Originally Posted by Arsenii
I have always known them as a manufacturer of Oil Filters up until now, and dubious ones at best, their quality, at least in the olden days, left a lot to be desired, just look it up, even if all the reviews and legends of busted engines are not true, Fram is the only company that managed to gather such appalling reputation around itself, no one else will have so many debates and conspiracies surrounding it, hence why I am so opposed to it, and hence my Clearly marked, Very biased opinion. I don't know, they may have changed while I wasn't looking, but this train is too far gone, I will stick with OEM wherever possible, especially for such negligible price difference.
Thank you for that calm, rational answer. I didn't know that about Fram, which is why I posed the (apparently unpardonable for some) question.

Old 04-07-24, 01:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Snowflakes Relax dude. I just asked a question.
Nah, you came here looking for validation of your choice. Answer me this, are you going to buy Toyota coolant as strongly recommend? The answer is no.
Old 04-07-24, 03:17 PM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

I use AM/AM in my '04 and in fact everything else. As noted, make sure to do a proper flush with distilled water until it runs clear. It's been 5 years in the Lexus so far and I doubt it'll ever be changed out again.