ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

99 ES300 flashing Trac Off and ABS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-24, 03:36 PM
Mrv8q
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 99 ES300 flashing Trac Off and ABS

Hello, I have these both these lights flashing. Shorting the pins in the diagnostic port has the cadence for the Trac Off light as 4-3. The ABS cadence is 2-2. The Haynes manual says the ABS flashing indicates a front left wheel sensor. No mention of the Trac Off sequence. Is the Trac Off cadence telling me anything? I’ve had the car 20 years and this is the first wheel sensor problem indicated.

thx!
Old 06-02-24, 05:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Traction control is disabled because of the bad wheel speed sensor, it can't work without that signal. Fix the ABS fault and the traction warning will probably go away.
The following users liked this post:
Mrv8q (06-02-24)
Old 06-02-24, 05:38 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Hello,

How did the issue first begin?

Code 22 indicates a malfunction with the ABS Actuator, a Solenoid that triggers the channels inside the ABS Module under the hood, at least according to the Factory Service Manual. It is a strange malfunction, as those cars are not known for those kinds of issues, and I've never seen one of those solenoids fail before, especially for no apparent reason.

Either way, it's pretty easy to check if the Solenoid itself has Resistance - below is a Diagram of the ABS Actuator Connector, which is located under the Hood, right in front of the Coolant Expansion Tank. Start with the Key out of the Ignition, unplug the Connector shown in the Diagram, then get a Multimeter set to a Resistance Mode and place one of its Lead on a Battery Negative Terminal, the other on Pin 6, and then on Pin 12 of the ABS Actuator, you should about about 1.2Ohm, some very small number. If you won't see anything, try checking any other pin, aside from Pins 5 and 3 to see if the procedure works and is done correctly.

An important note - the Pinout shown above displays the Pigtail, not the Connector on the ABS Housing, hence when you are looking at the Actuator, the Pin Numbers will be mirrored, you will need to start counting from the End. To make it easier, download the image above and quite literally Mirror it in any editing software, otherwise you will be checking the wrong pins.

Code 43 is is only there to indicate that the Traction Control System is unable to operate with the ABS Malfunction, and to prevent it from even attempting, with possibly dire consequences. Once the Code 22 is cleared, it should go away on its own.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 06-02-24 at 05:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arsenii:
LeX2K (06-02-24), Mrv8q (06-02-24)
Old 06-02-24, 08:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Code 22 indicates a malfunction with the ABS Actuator, a Solenoid that triggers the channels inside the ABS Module under the hood, at least according to the Factory Service Manual.
I've had this exact code, 1996 Toyota but replacing the bad sensor cured it. Hopefully that is the case here.
Old 06-02-24, 08:43 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I've had this exact code, 1996 Toyota but replacing the bad sensor cured it.
A strange code to trigger for the Speed Sensor, but Toyota has an even stranger logic for those sometimes, I would believe it more than a failed Solenoid.. Either way, there are a few ways to find out if the sensor is indeed at fault without replacing it just yet.

First would be to enter a Speed Sensor Signal Check Mode, to do that, you will need to make a new Diagnostics Tool using an old O2 sensor that can be found at any junkyard. Here is a thread on how to de-pin a connector, find an O2 sensor (the longer the wires are, the better) and cut its wiring, then splice 3 of its Male Terminals together in whichever way works for you, Wago Lever Nut may be the easiest.

Now use this new tool to connect Pins Ts and E1, isolating the remaining wire for now, then start the Engine and go for a ride, making sure to go faster than 30MPH continuously for at least 20 seconds. After that, stop the car, do not shut the engine off, connect the remaining wire of your new tool to Pin Tc and check the codes again, below is a chart showing all the possible codes to come out of this Check Mode. After you are done remove the tool and turn off the Engine.

A second method is a bit more involved as it requires taking the Splash Guard off, since the Speed Sensor wire connector is under it. Disconnect the Connector for a suspected Speed Sensor, then get a Multimeter set to AC Voltage and connect both of its leads to the sensor. After that, make sure that at least two of the wheels are blocked and the Parking Brake is engaged (at least for the front wheels) and shift into Neutral, then turn the wheel by hand and see if you will get any signal from the sensor, below is a video on what it should look like, even though it's the Crankshaft sensor shown, the idea is very much the same.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 06-02-24 at 08:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (06-02-24)
Old 06-02-24, 10:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Super cool info thanks! My 1990 Camry Wagon V6 has a similar diagnostic mode but all you have to do is jumper 2 wires and go for a drive. The ABS module is a discreet computer separate from the main ECU. ABS performance is extremely good better than my Lexus is can pulse the calipers faster.