ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How to speed up Emissions Readiness? To get ready for the SMOG check

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-24, 10:57 AM
mikek753
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to speed up Emissions Readiness? To get ready for the SMOG check

hello all,

Is there a procedure or steps to follow to get all required checks as Complete?
Without those readiness checks I can't start SMOG check.
I'm down to one - Evaporative Sys check.
Any ideas what it will take to get this check in the ready or complete state?
I'd like to avoid "drive for 300ml" or "drive for a week", but some specific details that can set this remaining check as complete.
I'm getting close to DMV renew deadline, I don't mind to pay CA DMV for the renew, but online it asked me to pass the SMOG at 1st.

Thank you

Old 06-07-24, 11:14 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

This may help. Let us know what, if any, fix worked. The car have any stored codes?
https://www.automotivelinks.co/monitor-evap-not-ready/
Old 06-07-24, 03:11 PM
mikek753
Driver

Question

thank you for the reply.

This is related to another P0420 ES330 how to proceed?
I replaced O2 B1S2 sensor, as result all codes were cleared, so I started new readiness cycle.

Yes, I read many info about drive cycle and I got very confused, as I can't find specific for ES330 model instruction, while many generic and for some other models and brands.
So far I think that the Evap readiness checks for cold starts and measures after the cold start only, where 10H has to be between those car starts.
But, I don't know how many cold starts are required?
The best I'll be able to do 2 cold starts per day.

Regardless what are on Internet, the SMOG check station tech told me I have to have all checks in complete to even start the check.
Old 06-10-24, 03:49 PM
mikek753
Driver

it took 3 nights to get the Evap readiness check. As it requires several cold starts after 8-12 hours.
Old 06-15-24, 04:51 AM
smwalker
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do not need EVAP ready in order to pass a state inspection.
In most states they allow any 1 Monitor to be incomplete and in CA they allow only EVAP to be incomplete.

Some inspectors might try to send you away, just be firm and ask them to run the test. If they wont file a complaint with the BAR and go to another shop.
Don't waste your time trying to get it complete.
Old 06-15-24, 03:33 PM
mikek753
Driver

Originally Posted by smwalker
You do not need EVAP ready in order to pass a state inspection.
In most states they allow any 1 Monitor to be incomplete and in CA they allow only EVAP to be incomplete.

Some inspectors might try to send you away, just be firm and ask them to run the test. If they wont file a complaint with the BAR and go to another shop.
Don't waste your time trying to get it complete.
the test station tech told me I have to have all checks in ready / green to even start the smog check, so I went out and had drove 3 days till I get the EVAP as ready
I don't know if another station will be ok to run the smog check or now for EVAP isn't ready
I didn't argue, I didn't look for another test station, as I had used this station for past 10 years

Yes, CA State is so special :-( , in another State no Smog Check is required at all ...
As I got the Smog certificate and CA DMV accepted it as I'm happy for now

I also don't know if the O2 sensor replacement was the fix or prev Cataclean or both?

Old 06-15-24, 03:42 PM
smwalker
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mikek753
the test station tech told me I have to have all checks in ready / green to even start the smog check, so I went out and had drove 3 days till I get the EVAP as ready
I don't know if another station will be ok to run the smog check or now for EVAP isn't ready
I didn't argue, I didn't look for another test station, as I had used this station for past 10 years

Yes, CA State is so special :-( , in another State no Smog Check is required at all ...
As I got the Smog certificate and CA DMV accepted it as I'm happy for now

I also don't know if the O2 sensor replacement was the fix or prev Cataclean or both?
O2 and cats have nothing to do with the EVAP monitor or EVAP system.

That smog station that told you that lied to you. This is the sort of situations that give CA a bad name when it comes to SMOGs. It's the stations job to perform a test, not turn people away and have them waste time and gas. I would ask them for a refund of $100 for your wasted time and effort or you will submit a complaint to the State Bureau of Automotive Repair. We got to put up with enough crap in this state to deal with people that do not want to do thier jobs correctly.

See section C: https://bar.ca.gov/industry/obd-test...ence#readiness
Old 06-15-24, 06:23 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by mikek753
…Yes, CA State is so special :-( , in another State no Smog Check is required at all ...
As I got the Smog certificate and CA DMV accepted it as I'm happy for now…
No smog check is required in CA if you reside in the right/exempted zip code.
Old 06-15-24, 07:55 PM
smwalker
8th Gear

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
No smog check is required in CA if you reside in the right/exempted zip code.
Yea but no one lives in those zip codes except a few farmers and thier dog's. Rest of us are screwed!! LOL
The following users liked this post:
Gunner41 (06-17-24)