ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2004 Lexus es330 wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-24, 11:35 PM
Calebpm30
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Lexus es330 wiring issue

So I just swapped out my entire ignition assembly (ig switch, lock, etc) and when I was reconnecting all the wires and putting everything back together, I noticed 3 of them in particular that I couldn't seem to find where they connect. And of course when I went to test out my new ignition, all the lights came on in the car but when I actually went to crank it, silence. No clicking or anything. Complete silence. And I'm guessing it's because one of those wires might connect to the starter but I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to post pics of the actual wires though so you'll know exactly which ones I'm talking about.

This one looks like it runs to the fuse box and I thought it plugged into the back of the lower dash panel but I didn't see where it could go

I'm pretty sure when I took this off that the wires were running to the bottom center hole, but I have no idea

This is the second one. As you can see, it runs to the gear shift box (as far as I can tell). Normally it would be safe to assume that it would connect to the center panel but nope

There's already a different set of wires that connects to it and I don't see any other places to connect it

And this is the last one. I'm almost certain that this one has something to do with my A/C but it doesn't fit any of the slots on the back of the a/c control box. Oh and if you couldn't tell, this is a hose, not a wire

Any help or insight you could offer would be greatly appreciated. This thing has been stressing me out lol. Oh and if you need any additional info that I may have left out then please just ask and I'll do my best to provide you with whatever info you require. Thank you!​​​
Old 06-11-24, 11:21 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

A strange predicament you got yourself into of forgetting where wires go to..

Originally Posted by Calebpm30
And of course when I went to test out my new ignition, all the lights came on in the car but when I actually went to crank it, silence.​
Are any of the Shifter Lights on the Dash On? If so, which light is On, P, R, N, D, etc.?

This one looks like it runs to the fuse box and I thought it plugged into the back of the lower dash panel but I didn't see where it could go
Thaat's an OBD2 Port for the Diagnostics Equipment, it's not supposed to be connected to anything, unless you have a Tool to hook up to it. It should go into the Metal bracket under the kick panel shown in the other picture.

I'm pretty sure when I took this off that the wires were running to the bottom center hole, but I have no idea
That's the Kick Panel I was referring to, under it should be a another, Metal panel secured by a number of bolts to the frame under the dashboard, there is a chance you can be missing it.

This is the second one. As you can see, it runs to the gear shift box (as far as I can tell). Normally it would be safe to assume that it would connect to the center panel but nope
Looks like something that connects to one of the Buttons on the Trim Panel that goes around the Shifter.

There's already a different set of wires that connects to it and I don't see any other places to connect it
Not sure what those connectors are, it would be helpful to take that picture from farther out for more clarity.

And this is the last one. I'm almost certain that this one has something to do with my A/C but it doesn't fit any of the slots on the back of the a/c control box. Oh and if you couldn't tell, this is a hose, not a wire
That's not even a connector, it's a Temperature Sensor for the Climate Control, it goes into a recess molded into the Kick Panel.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 06-11-24, 11:37 AM
Calebpm30
4th Gear

Thank you so much. As far as the shifter lights, I didn't even think to try and shift gears or anything so I'm not 100% sure and I'll have to wait till I get home. But I will say that when I turned the key over, the entire dash lit up, all the lights, power seats, radio, and a/c all worked. My main problem is that when I go to crank the car, nothing happens. No noise or anything, which I'm assuming thats why you asked if the shifter lights came on or not. I assumed one of those wires connected to the starter or something since my battery is holding a charge. Also earlier I noticed another wire that's connected to the same harness as the obd connector which I'm guessing is an ECU connector but again, idk.

It's right beside the wires that connect to my mirror controls

And here is maybe a better pic of the center panel
Old 06-12-24, 12:36 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

No noise or anything, which I'm assuming thats why you asked if the shifter lights came on or not.
The thing is that any car with an electric starter comes with what's know as Neutral Safety Switch, placed on the Clutch Pedal in Manual Transmission cars, and on the Shifter Lever on Automatic Transmission cars. The idea is to prevent anyone from attempting to spin the Starter if the car is in Gear, which will result in it jolting in a respective direction with unpredictable results.

In your case, the Neutral Safety Switch is located on the Transmission itself, there is little chance you disconnected it, but unless the Shifter is in either P or N position, the engine won't even attempt to turn over.

It's right beside the wires that connect to my mirror controls
Could it be a wire for said Mirror Controls..?

And here is maybe a better pic of the center panel
Didn't realize that you already have a Shifter Bezel nearby, the wire I was not sure about is a Cigarette Lighter wire.

P.S. Is it a Sport Design ES that you have? The wood trim is very specific..

Old 06-12-24, 11:30 AM
Calebpm30
4th Gear

Well I think I figured it out. I'm pretty sure someone stole my headlight relay along with my starter relay smh. At least it's not a much bigger problem I guess lol

Just wanna double check that this is where the starter relay would go. The diagram says so but you never know lol
Old 06-12-24, 11:02 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Stole ... a Relay....?

There is a first time for everything I guess.. Either way, here is a Fuse and Relay Diagram for your car, which shows the location of the Starter Relay as well.

It would be very interesting to ask the person that took it out for a reason behind it..