ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

A/F sensor advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-24, 02:32 PM
SmileUxA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/F sensor advice

Hello everyone. Recommend a good A/F sensor that fits my 1999 Lexus ES300(Canada). There are many different analogues, but it’s not clear which one to choose.
Old 06-17-24, 08:18 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Can you post your production date? I see 3 choices for upstream sensor aka A/F sensor. Or can grab the Denso upstream from Rockauto but I suggest you buy OEM from here price isn't much higher
https://www.amayama.com

Are you in Canada or Ukraine?
Old 06-18-24, 01:58 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

Here is a Parts Catalogue for your car, Canadian model specifically.

1999 model year is a Transition Year, it has new VVT-i engine attached to the old, pre-facelift exterior, which can make things confusing. Easiest option would be to look under the hood and check specifically which sensors you have, the biggest giveaway of the type of sensor will be the style of a connector, refer to the Part Numbers mentioned below.

Obtaining OEM parts would be quite tough I imagine, especially considering the scalpel prices, I may even suggest avoiding them, against any of my beliefs, for the concern of counterfeit junk, unless you know of a trusted place to get them. There aren't too many other brands to trust for a replacement, Denso being the second best option, NTK is a great option as well if you can obtain them locally.

Denso DOX-0500 would be the option for the Older style sensor, Denso DOX-0246 is for a Newer style, again, best bet would be to look under the hood to find out which one is it that you have. I am pretty sure that the only noticeable difference between those would be the Connector, their internal construction would be quite similar, aside from the Newer sensor possibly carrying some improvements compared to the old design. All that is to say that both of those Part Numbers are likely interchangeable, you can probably use either one if you can't find a direct replacement, here is a thread on how to De-Pin a connector to replace the Housing.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 06-18-24, 05:01 AM
SmileUxA
Rookie

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Can you post your production date? I see 3 choices for upstream sensor aka A/F sensor. Or can grab the Denso upstream from Rockauto but I suggest you buy OEM from here price isn't much higher
https://www.amayama.com

Are you in Canada or Ukraine?
Im in Ukraine. Production date was smt like september of 1998.
Old 06-18-24, 07:18 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/servic...tion_date.html
Old 06-18-24, 08:03 AM
SmileUxA
Rookie

09/1998 thx XD
Old 06-18-24, 10:32 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Can you post your VIN? This shouldn't be complicated but there are 3 part numbers for the same year. Where do you plan on buying the parts? If Rockauto then no confusion pick 1999 that's it.
Old 06-18-24, 10:52 AM
SmileUxA
Rookie

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

1999 model year is a Transition Year, it has new VVT-i engine attached to the old, pre-facelift exterior, which can make things confusing. Easiest option would be to look under the hood and check specifically which sensors you have, the biggest giveaway of the type of sensor will be the style of a connector, refer to the Part Numbers mentioned below.

Obtaining OEM parts would be quite tough I imagine, especially considering the scalpel prices, I may even suggest avoiding them, against any of my beliefs, for the concern of counterfeit junk, unless you know of a trusted place to get them. There aren't too many other brands to trust for a replacement, Denso being the second best option, NTK is a great option as well if you can obtain them locally.

Denso DOX-0500 would be the option for the Older style sensor, Denso DOX-0246 is for a Newer style, again, best bet would be to look under the hood to find out which one is it that you have. I am pretty sure that the only noticeable difference between those would be the Connector, their internal construction would be quite similar, aside from the Newer sensor possibly carrying some improvements compared to the old design. All that is to say that both of those Part Numbers are likely interchangeable, you can probably use either one if you can't find a direct replacement, here is a thread on how to De-Pin a connector to replace the Housing.

Can u tell me which one i need to choose if i upload photo of my connector? Im almost sure its dox 0500 but u write that dox-0246 is a newer one so i think it can be too because my MAF sensor shown in 2001 repair manual and i have weird EVAP system (different from 1997 and 2001 repair manual). So i dont know where is the truth
Old 06-18-24, 11:42 AM
SmileUxA
Rookie

Originally Posted by lex2k
can you post your vin? This shouldn't be complicated but there are 3 part numbers for the same year. Where do you plan on buying the parts? If rockauto then no confusion pick 1999 that's it.
JT8BF28G7X0158008
Old 06-18-24, 12:06 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by SmileUxA
Can u tell me which one i need to choose if i upload photo of my connector?
Below are the pictures of two different styles of connectors, just unplug yours and see what you have.

Im almost sure its dox 0500 but u write that dox-0246 is a newer one so i think it can be too because my MAF sensor shown in 2001 repair manual...
As written before, I don't think that there is a difference in performance between those two, as long as you can replace the Connector Housing (like it is described here), either sensor will work for your car I am pretty sure.

MAF sensor is a similar story, you could have a Transition unit that was later updated a little bit, a 1999 MAF sensor will be interchangeable with a 2001 model, even if it has a different Part Number, in that case it may even be preferable to go with a newer model.

...and i have weird EVAP system (different from 1997 and 2001 repair manual). So i dont know where is the truth
As with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle, as written before, you have a pretty strange year car, so there will be confusion about which parts to get. Your EVAP System for example is not as bad as you may think, it's a Combination of a Pre- and Post-Facelift ES, as they tried moving it under the Rear Subframe instead of keeping it under the Hood, replacing the Canister itself but not the Valves and Sensors, so it could be pieced together if needed, here is a thread about it.

Last edited by Arsenii; 06-18-24 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-18-24, 12:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

For reference fits production date 09/1998, 1999 ES300 Canada.

89467-41020 REAR
89467-48010 FRONT
89465-33120 downstream

Front is near radiator. Rockauto does not list any of the numbers above but there are about 7 different sensors that cross reference to the same part.

Old 06-18-24, 12:42 PM
SmileUxA
Rookie

Below are the pictures of two different styles of connectors, just unplug yours and see what you have.

As written before, I don't think that there is a difference in performance between those two, as long as you can replace the Connector Housing (like it is described here), either sensor will work for your car I am pretty sure.

MAF sensor is a similar story, you could have a Transition unit that was later updated a little bit, a 1999 MAF sensor will be interchangeable with a 2001 model, even if it has a different Part Number, in that case it may even be preferable to go with a newer model.

As with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle, as written before, you have a pretty strange year car, so there will be confusion about which parts to get. Your EVAP System for example is not as bad as you may think, it's a Combination of a Pre- and Post-Facelift ES, as they tried moving it under the Rear Subframe instead of keeping it under the Hood, replacing the Canister itself but not the Valves and Sensors, so it could be pieced together if needed, here is a thread about it.

Thx alot!!!
Old 06-18-24, 12:42 PM
SmileUxA
Rookie

89467-41020 REAR
89467-48010 FRONT
89465-33120 downstream

Front is near radiator. Rockauto does not list any of the numbers above but there are about 7 different sensors that cross reference to the same part.
Thx alot!!!
Old 06-20-24, 07:34 AM
SmileUxA
Rookie

Hello,

I have one more question what is the difference betwen CALIFORNIA SPEC, BRAZIL SPEC and my A/F sensor?
Old 06-20-24, 08:25 AM
SmileUxA
Rookie

89467-41020 REAR
89467-48010 FRONT
89465-33120 downstream

I have one more question what is the difference betwen CALIFORNIA SPEC, BRAZIL SPEC and my A/F sensor?

Quick Reply: A/F sensor advice