ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

sporty engine sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-03, 05:40 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

one... ive had 2 es300s, a 93, and a 94....

two... dont put the cone inside the airbox, put the cone at the bottom of the pipe going down so you have a cold air intake... then you wont need the large airbox and you will have that same sound.... you dont want long lengths of piping or windy tubes, makes it harder for the air to get to your engine.... simple, large pipe, cone filter at end....

three... i asked for pictures because i didnt think it was possible, and since you havent done it, i would say you aren't totally sure if it is either... because as of now, if you leave the airbox unclamped, i dont see how you would keep the charger up in the airbox anyway....

fourth... just leaving the airbox unclamped makes it take some warm air around the airbox while still pulling the cold air from the bottom of the piping...
Old 11-24-03, 05:44 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

haha look, this is from an old post i made when i first got this car.... trying same idea you had.... here was my idea.......
Attached Thumbnails sporty engine sound-airbox-design.jpg  
Old 11-24-03, 05:54 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

also, i did a search about intakes for ya on CL (was feeling generous, and i like looking at my old posts)

here's what i found....

buy a 92-93 toyota camry MAF adapter(sorry forgot that part), and you can attach the cone filter no problem...

here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails sporty engine sound-intake.jpg  

Last edited by EGainer; 11-24-03 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 07:35 PM
Lex3486
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well what I've done currently is much like that drawing of the idea you've posted; I attached my filter to the lid by taping it in with clear packaging tape which goes around all the edges of the filter and up and over the edge of the airbox so as to hold it in better and also to make an airtight seal so that the air that goes to the engine can only go through the filter, whereas if I were to attach it with string, there's still a chance that some unfiltered air may get in there, but we've got the same basic concept. I like that Camry pic you posted; notice the air flow sensor is HUGE! That's like mine. I'd like to convert it to the newer smaller one, but it has different connectors : (. There's a metal plate that the filter itself is attached to; this is what I was referring to earlier, is that plate. I don't know if that would come with a cone filter or if I'd have to buy/make that myself. I'd be perfectly willing to make it, but I'm not good enough at welding to make an airtight seal, plus I only have a tack welder, so it'd be really hard to do with my equipment. Anyhow, I wanted to add the airbox to ensure that it got only cold air and not hot engine compartment air. Also, I was trying to take into account the very real possiblity of water getting in the system; the way I figure it, if I were to make the filter in the airbox and not, say, at the end of the downpipe like most people do, then any water that may bet to the airbox will not make it into the engine b/c it'll just end up in the airbox, whereas I'd imagine that if the filter were at the bottom, water would have a slightly better chance of getting in the intake. I'm assuming all this b/c it appears to be the same thing that Lexus thought when they designed the stock system, b/c that's the way it's done. Really, all I wanna do is have basically the same design concept as the stock intake system only with better flow via a larger airbox, larger piping to the front of the car, and a cone filter-for that sporty sound. If I were to put the filter at the end of the downpipe, it'd be difficult to get to, so this is why I had the idea of putting it under the hood. I'm not an expert at intake systems though, so I'm sure my concept's got some loopholes in it. Maybe someone here could help me finalize it without changin my idea too much? Or is it so amatuer that it can't work at all the way I'm thinkin it could??
Old 11-24-03, 08:55 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

sorry i meant to say that you need to buy a 92-93 camry maf adapter... it will fit your car... that metal piece is called a Mass air flow Adapter....

also, the filter, if you did it with just the strings, it would work because the filter fits perfectly... i think the tape would get old and lose its adhesive ability

no airbox needed to keep warm air out, and no, water wont get into the system.... your intake terminates at the bumper anyway, putting a cone filter down there wont be bad, that is how a real cold air intake is.
Old 11-24-03, 09:43 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to do mine tommorow morning as soon as I get that camry MAF adapter. Egainer where did you get yours and how much was it. I also need the MAF sensor.

Last edited by Stefwilli; 11-24-03 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-24-03, 11:33 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

i tried to find you a camry maf adapter, all i could find was one on ebay for a toyota truck....

search for maf adapter....

i wonder if this would fit -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2444208522
(I couldn't remember the requirements for posting an ebay link, this isn't my product, just giving an example of one)

I wouldn't try to win that auction and use the filter and adapter... I would just buy another filter but use that adapter... i would find out the dimensions of the adapter you would need, and then email the seller to find out the dimensions of that one to see if it will work

just a suggestion?
Old 11-25-03, 01:19 PM
Lex3486
Rookie

Yeah, I'd like to know where to find one of those, and are they cheap? I didn't know anyone marketed those. Cool!
Old 11-29-03, 12:24 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

gettin back to the original problem.
The y pipe or flex pipe is broken and causing it to leak .
It normally happens when engine monuts break and cause too much play ,which flex the pipe too much and rip the outer sheild causing a leak.Buy the oem lexus toyoa one( same as the camry ) as other aftermarket ones are usually cheap and the springs don;t keep a strong hold.
If the o2 sensor had popped off then a cel would have come on as it wouldn't be in teh exhaust stream to heat up and collect info,so that is not going to be it..
Old 11-29-03, 02:22 PM
QueensLex
Driver School Candidate

I found out the problem today. There is a crack in a pipe under the car. I don't really mind it, and I'm not fixing it either. It probably was damaged when I hit a pot hole or something. Anyway, I'm selling my lex now. I'm selling it for $5,500. The Kbb value is $5,955. I want to sell it before the end of the year so I can get a deal on a 2003 model car. If you are interested pls. e-mail me. I can negotiage a very good price. The car is in excellent condition, and the only things I did was tint the windows and installed a wood kit.
Old 11-29-03, 04:45 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

you're going to sell the car with the cracked pipe on the bottom? maybe you'd better find out how bad of damage that will do if you leave it untouched... IMHO
Old 11-29-03, 04:55 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I found out the problem today. There is a crack in a pipe under the car.
I guess I was right about where the noise originated. Just call me the ace troubleshooter.heehee

Last edited by amf1932; 11-29-03 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-30-03, 05:47 PM
QueensLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by EGainer
you're going to sell the car with the cracked pipe on the bottom? maybe you'd better find out how bad of damage that will do if you leave it untouched... IMHO
Depends. I know people on purpose bang a hole in the muflers and exhaust to make that "sporty" sound. But seriously, I'll fix the problem before its sold. I don't really have a problem with it, so I'm not gonna fix it, unless someone wants to buy it. The mechanic says, as I expected, it does not interfere driving wise.