ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Thinking of Buying 2000 ES300... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-03, 08:20 PM
Geek
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of Buying 2000 ES300... Help!

Folks, I am looking for some help. I've never researched Lexuses before, but what seems like a decent opportunity has presented itself on a 2000 ES 300 Platinum Series.

What problems with the 2000 model year should I be concerned with?

This particular car has just under 40,000 miles, and was a private lease vehicle in Florida. I've sat in it and it seems to be in really nice condition. I would be selling my 2000 Accord EX V6 Sedan to pick this up. Is this a smart move?

Question... what upgrades made up the Platinum Series package?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-23-03, 08:50 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't think of any specific problems for the 2000 year, just the usual check the car's history, look for original VIN stickers on panels, etc. The Platinum Series featured special 5-spoke brushed aluminum wheels, special textured Regency leather, black chrome emblems, Platinum Series badging/mats, and golden bird's eye maple wood in place of the brown burled walnut.
Old 11-23-03, 08:57 PM
Geek
Driver School Candidate

Thanks squarehat. I've got the Carfax vehicle report and it looks good (one owner, private lease vehicle - explains the low mileage). I sat in the car and it seems nice. I still need to drive it and have a look at the maintenance records.

What are some of the options for the 2000 model year that would make the car worth $23K? It sounds like the Platinum Series, aside from the different wood trim, wood-trimmed steering wheel, and the rims (which I really don't care that much for), doesn't provide much in the way of interior options.

I know the car has the CD changer in the glove box, but other than that I'm not sure what options this car has.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-03, 09:07 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on the region where the car was originally sold, the car may have the optional heated front seats (controls would be by the shifter). Options that were considerably more rare included the upgraded Nakamichi sound system (there would be a Nakamichi logo on the stereo control unit), high intensity discharge headlamps (the reflectors look different, and there'd be an auto-levelling icon on the instrument display, and at night you'd definitely be able to tell the difference ), and finally, the rare Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), that was found mostly on cars sold on the West Coast that allows you to control suspension firmness via a switch near the shifter.
Old 11-24-03, 05:45 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

squarehat pretty much hit it right on the money... As he has mentioned, whatever options the '00 ES has could really add up the value of the car. The 'Platinum Edition' trim doesn't necessarily increase the value at all. This is what I learned when I sold my '96 ES Coach Edition.

Just wanted to add a note that the asking price of the car also depends on the region where it's being sold. In this case, it's Florida, and Florida is known to be a hot bed of new/used luxury vehicles being sold via the Internet (i.e. take a look on Ebay) and various auto auctions.

Low mileage cars will always generally be valued higher than their counterparts. At 40K miles for the 2000 ES, you're still under all Lexus factory warranties (until 50K for the basic, and until 70K for the powertrain), so that's a plus
Old 11-25-03, 08:00 PM
Geek
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Now for the important question... what is the max out-the-door that I should pay? The dealer is asking $22,995 right now (plus TT&L).

Thanks.
Old 11-26-03, 06:34 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Geek
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Now for the important question... what is the max out-the-door that I should pay? The dealer is asking $22,995 right now (plus TT&L).

Thanks.
That price sounds about right from a typical dealer. Never accept the 1st price on the spot, and try to negotiate with the seller (bargaining can save you lots of money and worries).