ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What else might be needed?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:00 AM
bullrider
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What else might be needed?

I did a search and didn't find this question posted already though with hundreds of pages of results it might be out there somewhere.

My much loved 2005 ES330 and I were involved in a fender bender the other day - I was merging onto a road at the same time as someone in the middle lane was moving over to my merge lane. The front fender took the brunt of the damage. I took the car to a body shop and explained that 'it's 20 years old, it doesn't have to look perfect, just presentable' and got an estimate of $3420 which is most of what the car is worth. I love this car but just can't justify paying over three grand to fix it when I could replace it with a much newer ES350 for about 2x that price. The parts list for the estimate is for all very expensive new OEM parts ("because it will go together better") and includes a new bumper fascia. If it was a fairly new car I would expect and insist upon OEM parts but not in this case, and I let them know money is an issue as I'm the one paying. It's got 192K miles and everything works on it. The accident didn't damage anything mechanically, the car drives fine, the AC works, nothing else is wrong that I can tell. I do have some automotive interest and experience and I'm going to try and make it presentable myself. All it needs is 'presentable' as it's already one of those cars that looks great from 20 feet but up close you see the flaws.

The driver's door and hood seem undamaged, the front bumper fascia got ripped loose but is intact save for a couple of retainer holes. The car also needs inner fenders on both sides and probably a driver's side headlight (though not a $255 OEM one as was in the estimate) and the styrofoam bumper thing which is half gone, as well as a few other things. If I do this myself, when I take off the driver's front fender, what is behind it that may also require replacement - or can what's behind there if anything likely be bent straight?

Last edited by bullrider; Today at 09:01 AM. Reason: format
Old Today, 09:52 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,069 Likes on 2,580 Posts

There's quite a few smaller components any of them bent?
https://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/...er-bumper-stay

Perfect job to source from a help yourself salvage yard is that an option for you?
Old Today, 10:18 AM
bullrider
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Until I get the fender off (maybe have a chance this weekend) I won't know what is underneath it but a pick it yourself boneyard is a great idea. I'll look into that.