ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 04:08 PM
matt805
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie

Hi all, new to forum.
Don't own a Lexus yet, but will in the next couple weeks. I have been looking very seriously for months at buying a used 99 or 00 ES300. I would really appreciate any feedback you guys could give me on common problems , or things I might want to look out for when purchasing. All I've owned is my daily driver VW and my 54 Chevy, so Lexus is a whole new realm for me.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Matt
Old 01-13-04, 06:30 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Matt, welcome to this great forum

There are too many differences to name between a 1999 and 2000 ES300, but both are run by the same 3.0L, V6, 210 hp VVT-i engine. Where do you plan to purchase your Lexus from? If from a dealership, I suggest doing heavy research on the car(s) in mind before dropping by the dealership and getting hitched by a salesman or two. Ebay Motors is an excellent source to find eye candy and comprehensive descriptions of cars to compare.

The ES300 is generally a solid and reliable luxury sedan with relatively no major problems (has won many awards from J.D. Power & Associates and other auto magazines). Very different from an Acura TL, for example, which is most renowned for its transmission problems. As far as specific problems go, it's a good idea to ask the seller up front for the car's service and maintenance history. For the most part, you won't be disappointed with the purchase of the ES300

Don't hesitate to ask anything here

-Doug
Old 01-13-04, 08:30 PM
matt805
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Doug,
I will most likely be buying a 99 ES300 with around 50K miles.
They seem to be closest to my price range ~ 16000
I've been searching within 200 miles of here (pismo beach, CA.) and have found quite a few.
private sellers as well as dealers, seem to be no difference in price.
I am trying to get as much research together as possible,
that way, if someone with experience says to stretch and buy a 2000 because of....this or that problem on the 99, I will spend the extra money.
I figure the best place to learn about these cars is to go directly to the people who drive them.
thanks again.
Old 01-13-04, 08:42 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Welcome Matt (and I didn't mean to say it like that as a joke, lol )!
Old 01-13-04, 09:28 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In case your curious what changed between 99 and 00, here's the list I pasted over from the Lexus CPO website.
http://www.lexus.com/cpo/model_detail/es/300/2000.html

Changes Made To The 2000 ES 300

Standard Features:

- Chiseled front bumper
- Chrome added to grille bars
- Redesigned fog lamps and rear taillamps
- "ES 300" badge relocated to taillamp area
- Auto-dimming, electrochromic inside mirror and driver's outside mirror
- Trunk pass-through lock added
- Additional interior wood trim
- Rear headrests more recessed in seatbacks
- Redesigned front seatback pockets
- Multifunction, in-key remote entry system with rolling-code technology
- Standard audio system features Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL)
- Stainless-steel scuff plates added
- Child Restraint Seat (CRS) top tether anchor brackets
- New "Arista" fabric available in Sage or Black

Optional Features:

- New exterior colors: Mineral Green Opalescent, Millennium Silver and Graphite Gray Pearl
- Interior air filter available with Leather/Memory Package
- Dual-setting heated seats
- Brake Assist[1] added to VSC[3] system
- New 16-inch alloy wheels with 205/60VR16 all-season tires
- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with dynamic auto leveling
Old 01-14-04, 05:38 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Not to hijack the thread, but I've never heard of the "Arista" interior fabric feature standard in a 2000 ES. I wonder what it looks like, and whether this is fabric for the floor or for the seats (if one chooses no leather seats on the ES)

Also I have never seen the Mineral Green exterior color (have only seen the dark green color in the '97-'99 ES). I bet this Mineral Green is a rare color and perhaps a lighter shade of green, maybe more towards the silver side.

One of the features I definitely love is the ASL in the stereo system (it's also in my 2001 ES). When music is first played after the ES is turned on, it's nice that it's played at a lower volume for 5 seconds before it automatically turns up to its normal volume setting
Old 01-14-04, 09:12 AM
matt805
Driver School Candidate

Holy crap. I had no idea there were so many upgrades introduced in 2000.
Both the 99 and 2000 es300's are awesome cars no doubt.
But how about mechanically?
I mean, I'm still buying a car that thousands of people have been driving for 4 years.
Has anyone had more or less mechanical problems with the 99 vs. the 2000?
If anyone can throw in their 2 cents on problems they've had with these years, or maybe even direct me to another site where I can get reviews on these it would be great.
Thanks
Old 01-14-04, 06:14 PM
sk8er251cc
Pole Position

I've had no problems with my 2000 except one minor one. That problem is that one a/c vent in the front seat is loose, so it doesn't stay still. From my list of problems I'd say that my 2000 is a very reliable car. IMO the 2000 looks a lot more refined than the 99. The front bumper and tail lights give the car a newer more modern look. Here's a pic of my 2000 es300 with new wheels and lowering springs.
Attached Thumbnails newbie-bens-car-front.jpg  
Old 01-15-04, 09:01 AM
matt805
Driver School Candidate

Sk8er251.
This is exactly what I am looking to do. NICE ! ! VERY NICE ! !
I've seen a couple pics of cars on this site that look a bit too ricey for my taste, but your car has that mild custom clean look I'm after, and I think you are right about the 2000 having an improved overall appearance.
From what I am gathering, all problems I have found in all my research are extremely minor: floor vents, clogged IACV's, minor interior problems, etc... seems like all routine maintenence to me.
I'm just glad I havent heard things like blown trannys at 75K miles, or total power loss, 3 dead batteries in the same year, like in the Volvo's I was originally looking at....
Old 01-17-04, 04:42 PM
sk8er251cc
Pole Position

Exactly! Lexus is very reputable, and last time i checked Lexus was #1in least amount of problems per car. Lexus even beat out toyota and honda.

For some more reasurrance, my neighbor has a LS400 circa 92 or 93 and he still drives it. He's still in love with the ride quality and build quality after all these years.

As you said about lexus styling, with the es i'm not trying to make it something that it's not. No matter what car you have, if you want to mod it, than do what you will. IMO make the car into what it is. So with this car, the es, I have just complemented it's smooth styling with simple chrome five spokes and a decent drop.

I hope you join the lexus community, because it's great to have people that share the same ideas.
Old 01-18-04, 10:40 AM
matt805
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to throw this in here,
My wife and I went to the local Toyota dealer yesterday and looked at an 02 camry V6 se.
Nice looking car, and I thought it would be a bit more affordable, as well as lower miles than buying a lexus as I am still looking to do.
Came home and have since done hours of research on 02 Camrys.
Come to find out, they have various common major problems, which are often blamed by toyota as "design" problems, which they cannot fix.
Such as, warped brake discs, steering problems (i.e. wobbling, wandering etc.) strut failure, lagging response.....etc.
Has led me to believe, that although I keep reading the es300 is just a luxurious Camry..... its not.
And although Lexus is owned by Toyota...... It's a Lexus, and cannot be compared to a regular model Toyota .
Old 01-18-04, 04:55 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by matt805
Just wanted to throw this in here,
My wife and I went to the local Toyota dealer yesterday and looked at an 02 camry V6 se.
Nice looking car, and I thought it would be a bit more affordable, as well as lower miles than buying a lexus as I am still looking to do.
Came home and have since done hours of research on 02 Camrys.
Come to find out, they have various common major problems, which are often blamed by toyota as "design" problems, which they cannot fix.
Such as, warped brake discs, steering problems (i.e. wobbling, wandering etc.) strut failure, lagging response.....etc.
Has led me to believe, that although I keep reading the es300 is just a luxurious Camry..... its not.
And although Lexus is owned by Toyota...... It's a Lexus, and cannot be compared to a regular model Toyota .
Interesting observations Matt. I never knew that the late-model Camrys have those kinds of typical problems, and although both the ES300 and the Camry share a lot of similar parts, they cannot realistically be written on the same page, so to speak.

At any rate, it sounds to me from your post that your mind is leaning more towards the ES300 than the Camry, right? I hope so
Old 01-19-04, 07:03 AM
matt805
Driver School Candidate

No doubt about it, I'm buying a Lexus.
It actually really surprised me, (all the awful reviews the 02 camry had) , especially with it being in the top three selling cars.
Theres only one lexus dealer 30 min from me, all the rest are 3 + hours away, so I was trying to save myself some time and traveling by buying a loaded Camry instead.
Aint gonna happen......Looks like I'll be wheelin and dealin on the phone with a Lexus salesman and then crossing my fingers while on the ride to go pick 'er up. At least I can run carfax reports at home, your more comfortable negotiating at home than on their turf anyway ! !
Old 01-19-04, 05:41 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck on the Lex purchase!
Old 01-22-04, 04:35 PM
rukarims
Driver

hey man welcome to the lexus family....if I were you I would try to get a 2000 Lexus ES300. As some said before it is alittle more refined. The rear lights and the front bumper give it more of a modren stylish look. Good Luck with your search man.

- Ray