ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Serious Engine problem??? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 10:29 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by steviej
IAC = Idle Air Control assembly. refer back to the begining posts in this thread.

briefly and roughly explained:

To clean these you will have to physically get at them. To get to the Throttle body, you have to remove the large hose that goes from the air box to the mechanism that holds the butterfly type valve (this is the throttle body). Soemtimes this area gets sooted up with carbon and junk. This garbage restricts airflow here. If you buy a spray type throttle body cleaner, make sure it says "safe for oxygen (O2) sensors" on the can.

The IAC is a separate assembly, usually bolting onto the bottom of the throttle body. It has a plunger or piston that allows for control of air passage when the car is at idle. Sometimes this plunger mechanism gets crudded up with carbon and gunk. This crud limits the movement of the piston and thus causes problems. The aperature and piston has to be cleaned so that total free movement is restored which in turns allows for better control of air movement at idle.

steviej
You're a wealth of info! I take it you've done this before, how involved is the process.
Old 03-03-04, 12:20 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very.....if you have never done it before.

not bad if you have some idea of what you are doing.

it is always nice to have a service manual next to you, just in case.

steviej
Old 03-04-04, 12:55 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Well I'm ashamed to say aside from fluid refills and an oil change and air filter change, I've not done much beneath the hood, so I'll probaby have to fork over the money, would you advise asking Lexus or Toyota to do the stuff you've done before they search for the root of my problem?
Old 03-04-04, 05:41 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lexus vs. Toyota service

This is a topic that's been rehashed many times in the past, but it really depends on what you prefer to be done, who you know, etc. First of all, these 2 dealerships share the same service parts/fluids 99.9% of the time, but Toyota usually costs less (maybe by about 60%, don't quote me on that). As far as quality of service goes, I'd say Lexus beats out Toyota from my experience. Lexus provides superior customer service; a relaxing waiting room with food, drinks and Lexus collectible stuff; and most of all, a Lexus loaner (if available)

I usually bring my car to Toyota for oil changes. Same OEM oil and filter as Lexus, only cheaper (I pay $22 every time). My 90K service will be coming up later this year (I have 83,XXX miles on my '01 ES now), so I will have to weigh my choice on either dropping my car off at Lexus (more money) and keep a loaner for a day or two, or dropping my car off at Toyota (less money) and unsure of how their loaner program works.
Old 03-30-04, 09:45 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

IAC = Idle Air Control assembly. refer back to the begining posts in this thread.

briefly and roughly explained:

To clean these you will have to physically get at them. To get to the Throttle body, you have to remove the large hose that goes from the air box to the mechanism that holds the butterfly type valve (this is the throttle body). Soemtimes this area gets sooted up with carbon and junk. This garbage restricts airflow here. If you buy a spray type throttle body cleaner, make sure it says "safe for oxygen (O2) sensors" on the can.

The IAC is a separate assembly, usually bolting onto the bottom of the throttle body. It has a plunger or piston that allows for control of air passage when the car is at idle. Sometimes this plunger mechanism gets crudded up with carbon and gunk. This crud limits the movement of the piston and thus causes problems. The aperature and piston has to be cleaned so that total free movement is restored which in turns allows for better control of air movement at idle.

steviej
Just another question, is the IAC at all related to something called the "EGR"? I took the car into Lexus AGAIN, the suggested the EGR would be clogged with carbon and cleaned it out for me. Perhaps I need to go back again and ask about the IAC? As the problem STILL persists.
Old 03-31-04, 05:28 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculator and does play a part in proper engine performance. The EGR usually has a series of trouble codes that will be set off if a problems exists. The dealership can also perform a series of tests on the EGR to isolate any potetial problem. These usually is not specific code for IAC failure, just the codes for poor engine performance associated with a faulty IAC.

also, check your PM.

steviej.
Old 03-31-04, 09:33 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculator and does play a part in proper engine performance. The EGR usually has a series of trouble codes that will be set off if a problems exists. The dealership can also perform a series of tests on the EGR to isolate any potetial problem. These usually is not specific code for IAC failure, just the codes for poor engine performance associated with a faulty IAC.

also, check your PM.

steviej.
Thanks for the explanation... I just got off the phone with a Lexus Tech. He says problems associated with the IAC would be evident upon startup. Since I have no problems with idle or startup he's thinking it's more something with the EGR valve, they tried to clean it out, by he recommends replacing it for about 150 bucks with labor. Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-04, 07:22 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

good luck......I'm still betting on the IAC.

If you spend the buck 50 ont he EGR valve and it doesn't fix the problem, will they give you your money back?

steviej
Old 03-31-04, 10:28 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll refund it the problem isn't fixed. But I like the way you think.
The tech told me today, that he's pretty sure it's not the IAC, since that would normally cause the engine to stahl (stall) upon starting. So I guess I'll go with the EGR valve for starters. I can tell ya, this problem is so annoying, it's never-ending. I half want to sell the car, but I without the cash, it's not a realistic option, and with 118k miles, I feel I've got a LOT of life left in this one. Thanks again for your suggestions. Let me know if you think of anything else it could be.