ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Struts and Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-04, 08:49 PM
chadmg7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Struts and Brakes

I was talking with one of my friends today and she has a Toyota Avalon. Her car has about the same mileage as mine (90,000 or so) and is around the same year (97).

She said she found out that she needed new struts when she heard a clunking noise from the front of the car.

Well, I am well acquainted of the infamous 'clunking' noise, as many members here have had the same problem.

I have posted about this before, and gotten some good theories about what it could be. (Something about the top of the struts?) The noise seemed to get worse in the winter. Well, I am thinking about getting new ones because I think that this might solve the problem. What do you all think? And do you think all four need replacing? I really want that noise to be gone.

Also, my local mechanic put new brakes on in mid-November. He said that all four pads needed replacing, as they each had about 10% left on them. I paid about $300-$350 I believe. Is this a good deal? One mechanic friend of mine said that you rarely have to replace the rear brakes, and that it was fishy. Did I get ripped off?

I think he put metallic pads on, and maybe that I had the nice ceramic pads before, because every time I first start out after the car has been off for some time, they squeak annoyingly loud for the first couple brake applications. Is this normal? Is is just wearing off the rust that has formed while it has been sitting?

I wish I would have asked here before getting new brakes. I am thinking that I should have gotten the nicer brakes (ceramic) and that he did not tell me that they are available (I just found out about them from this site, a few weeks ago).

Thanks for your help everyone! Sorry this is so long!!

-Chad
Old 02-16-04, 08:47 AM
neck
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Struts and Brakes

Originally posted by chadmg7
I was talking with one of my friends today and she has a Toyota Avalon. Her car has about the same mileage as mine (90,000 or so) and is around the same year (97).

Thanks for your help everyone! Sorry this is so long!!

-Chad
if you just got the pads replaced, then 3xx is a bit much considering msrp OE pads are prolly 80 (at least w/ a toyota camry v6 i think).. but then again, you do drive a lexus and the stealers do need to make money some how.

as for pads, you should stick w/ OE lexus/toyota pads if ur not upgrading the brakes, since they seem not to squel as much. i had a tough time w/ PBR matellic pads.. they kept squelling even when i put on the red anti-squeal stuff..

hoped that helped.
nk
Old 03-03-04, 09:19 AM
DoWNSHiFT
Driver School Candidate

you got ripped off for paying ~350 for a brake pad replacement...looks like your mechanic took advantage of you