ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

well my lex got totaled today

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 06:35 PM
fog80
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well my lex got totaled today

i had a 96 es300 with about 95,000 miles on it.

still drove like a brand new car and never gave me problems.

i got rear ended on I70 by an suv and that pushed me into another car in front....which pushed me into the left lane and got clipped and then pushed back into the right lane and got hit again by a 18 wheeler but he swerved enough so he only blew out a couple tires by grazing me.

i guess the most important thing is that im ok.....my face is banged and bruised from the airbag but i didnt break anything.

the car has to be totalled......i went to the hospital in an ambulance so i dont even know where they took it.....the police hasnt called me yet....ill be calling them tomorrow to file the report and claim my insurance.

i had full coverage with geico and i JUST paid it off a few months ago....i only had the car like two years.

anyone have any idea what kind of insurance settlement im looking at?

it was in good condition....just bought from the lex dealership two years ago for like 13,000 with 60,000 miles on it.
Old 02-02-04, 07:27 PM
iammikey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you're well and sorry to hear about your car.

I am helping a friend of mine settle with her insurance company. She, too, totaled her car after some guy ran a stop sign and left the scene. Luckily, the guy was caught.
Her insurance and the opposing insurance only wanted to settle for low blue book value and did not want to consider fair market value. After a few persuasive phone calls to the adjuster and body shops (for repair estimates), we then presented them with 5 cars in the same condition as hers locally and their current retail prices at local dealerships. The adjuster commented that you can't argue with verifiable facts and that some companies know people will not go through the trouble to research values. Persistance pays off, just be reasonable.
Old 02-03-04, 09:56 AM
fog80
Driver

Originally posted by iammikey
Glad to hear you're well and sorry to hear about your car.

I am helping a friend of mine settle with her insurance company. She, too, totaled her car after some guy ran a stop sign and left the scene. Luckily, the guy was caught.
Her insurance and the opposing insurance only wanted to settle for low blue book value and did not want to consider fair market value. After a few persuasive phone calls to the adjuster and body shops (for repair estimates), we then presented them with 5 cars in the same condition as hers locally and their current retail prices at local dealerships. The adjuster commented that you can't argue with verifiable facts and that some companies know people will not go through the trouble to research values. Persistance pays off, just be reasonable.
cool cause i went to kelly blue books website and it only gave me two options.....trade in value and private sale value and i dont know which one the insurance company gives me.

im bout to start searching around for ads for a vehicle similar to mines.
Old 02-03-04, 10:38 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Insurance companies usually split the difference between retail value and wholesale value, but you can fight them if you're not satisfied with the settlement that they offer you.
Old 02-03-04, 12:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

if you cannot come to an agreeable settlement HIRE A LAWYER. The insurance company has them, and their job is to pay as little as possible.

The fact that you JUST paid it off is a plus, because you were not under any payments at the time of the accident, so no foul play, even though you were not at fault, every little cookie counts.

Fight until your teeth bleed and get what you want, if they don't see eye to eye, get the lawyer involved. They will usually try and lowball as much as possible. That is the adjuster's job.

good to hear you are still alive and well.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-03-04 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 12:43 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

IMHO take 66-70% of the differance between the trade-in value & the PP seller.

Take it in two major steps.

FIRST Settle on what you want for the car & get that in stone.

Only AFTER that should you have him start on the pain & suffering. Which... For all that would be starting over 2 grand for me... Progressive paid me 1g without much fuss when I wrecked a '93 rolla b/c their idiot CX ran a stop sign!

*edit*

FYI We're all glad you're OK mainly, but a thread like this has hijacked written all over it!

Last edited by Toysrme; 02-04-04 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-04-04, 11:54 AM
fog80
Driver

heres a few pictures.

i better get way more than a 1000....im lookin at five figures.
Attached Thumbnails well my lex got totaled today-lex.jpg  
Old 02-04-04, 12:14 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

awwwwww that is nasty...I'm glad you are ok......
JPI
Old 02-04-04, 01:49 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Yeah that looks very bad. Hope everything works out with the insurance.
Old 02-04-04, 02:44 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Freaking OUCH!
Old 02-04-04, 06:40 PM
adam1991
Driver School Candidate

They'll lowball you and stand firm--right up to the point where you acknowledge the game and how it's played.

Their job is to minimize the amount they pay out. You want what's fair. Those are two mutually exclusive objectives.

You need to manipulate the game so that they pay out what's fair.

If they won't pay what's fair, you need to create a new objective for them. Their new objective needs to be to get you to sign the release of liability. They can buy that from you, for what's fair. But you can't simply come out and ask them for the deal. You have to play the game.

Sometimes just insisting that you should see a doctor "just to be on the safe side" will get them to start thinking about minimizing their exposure some more. When they see their potential exposure suddenly go from $1000 to $100,000, they'll see $10,000 in a new light. They won't see it as way too much. They'll see it as what's needed to get you to sign the liability release. They'll suddenly decide it's an OK price to pay to get out of any more exposure to liability.
Old 02-04-04, 09:04 PM
fog80
Driver

regardless i got a lawyer, im meeting with him tomorrow and he is referring me to his doctor.

my body is in bad shape right now.....its hard for me to even get out of bed.....my stomach muscles hurt so i have to like roll out of bed.

i was wondering if a lawyer helps me get pain and suffering, medical bills and the value of the car.....he gets a third of what insurance gives me for my car too? that dont seem right.

heres some more pictures
Attached Thumbnails well my lex got totaled today-f9b9281b.jpg  
Old 02-04-04, 09:05 PM
fog80
Driver

another one
Attached Thumbnails well my lex got totaled today-f9b92800.jpg  
Old 02-04-04, 09:56 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow!!! Totalled is right! I can imagine what would have been if it was a smaller car.
Old 02-05-04, 03:07 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

^^^Once again proving that Toyota windows don't need a housing.

Quick Reply: well my lex got totaled today