ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

clunk, clunk, BANG

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-04 | 05:43 PM
garrick-co
Driver School Candidate

Angry clunk, clunk, BANG -threw rod - engine replacement HELP!

I thought I had a stuck valve but my ES 300 went clunk clunk a few too many times followed by a BANG, which was followed by the oil falling out & engine stoppage. I'm now trying to figure out what the damage is and what to do. Thus far I have been told to look behind the A/C compressor but am yet to find the hole. I did find a piece of metal that I think is what blew out. The options presented thus far are
(my fav) blown oil pump, replace 1-200.-
Threw a rod - options there are rebuild this engine, trade this one for a rebuilt, or trade this one for a remanufactured. Supposedly a remanufactured is way better than a rebuilt - it certainly is more expensive!
I've gotten all the way from about $1500 for a rebuilt lower end to $4750 for a remanufactured installed.
Any thoughts out there?

Update: I found the hole. It is in the bottom of the crank-case. Threw a rod! So, back to the options --
Now I'm being told a used in Japan with 30-40k miles is the best thing. This guy says Toyota engines are poor candidates for rebuilding and that Japan has strict laws about engine milage which puts these 'low milage used engines' as being the best option

Last edited by garrick-co; 02-04-04 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-03-04 | 09:26 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

rebuild your current motor for performance since you have the chance now... well, thats what i would do anyway
Old 02-05-04 | 07:54 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

get a junkyard engine for 300-500. and get it installed for a few hundred more.
Old 02-05-04 | 10:32 PM
garrick-co
Driver School Candidate

Seems a bit risky, a junk-yard engine? I'm feeling burned already! I'm skerrd 'o junkyard pulls -- there is virtually no assurance of anything. Thats why I didn't list it among the choices I'm looking at. If I were that broke I wouldn't be taking the other choices too seriously. I want some sort of assurance but I'm not nutty enough to be looking at the dealer installing a new motor (If I had that kind of budget I wouldn't be driving a '94 )
Yeah, I know its kind'a contradictory - one thought of doing what it takes to get it right the first time, and another of trying to keep the costs down as much as possible. {Hey, I'm a Libra} BTW, I wrote to Lexus Cust Svc, and will post whatever I get....
Old 02-06-04 | 01:06 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

{Hey, I'm a Libra}
I knew i liked you for a reason
Old 02-06-04 | 03:52 AM
garrick-co
Driver School Candidate

Don't'cha know, us Librans need three hands. <on one hand, abc; but on the other hand 123, but then again.........>
Anyhow am I the only person on CL faced with a engine replacment? Somebodyz holdin out
k'mon ! Hellp!
I suppose the quandry is this:
'low miles engine imported from Japan'
vs
'rebuilt engine'
with my connecting rod thrust thru the bottom of my crankcase my choices are limited but informed choice...
Old 02-06-04 | 07:13 AM
xsohaib
Driver

I would recommend getting a 97-01 camry engine and installing a supercharger on there. 270hp --> not bad!. No seriuosly, I would not want to go through the hassle of rebuilding an engine, the labor is always expensive and I think it may be a more expensive option, at the end; instead just get yourself one of those japanese inport engine and drop it in there.

Hope this helps

Sohaib
Old 02-07-04 | 01:56 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

I'm not really sure what year is your vehicle. But you can get an engine from a camry V6 swap it in. It's a lot cheaper that way. If you can't locate one let me know.
JPI
Originally posted by xsohaib
I would recommend getting a 97-01 camry engine and installing a supercharger on there. 270hp --> not bad!. No seriuosly, I would not want to go through the hassle of rebuilding an engine, the labor is always expensive and I think it may be a more expensive option, at the end; instead just get yourself one of those japanese inport engine and drop it in there.

Hope this helps

Sohaib
Old 02-07-04 | 02:19 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

for the price of a rebuild, you have upto 3 chances to get a good motor. Im sure you will do fine with your first try. There are plenty of engines out of wrecked cars, that have lo miles on them.

Dont get rppped off, by a rebuiild, etc.
Old 02-07-04 | 08:19 PM
garrick-co
Driver School Candidate

Default UpDate

Here's some Pix of the damage to my '94 ES 300, which threw a rod down thru the bottom of the crank-case these were taken looking up from the ground. If I got closer it would have given little reference to where it was, but further would have obscured the damage

BTW, I have found a '96 Camary engine - low miles and such. The recommendation of this shop is an off-duty Lexus dealership service staff, who shall remain unnamed. After having been told the dealership was looking at a billl of over $10k (gasp!) This other shop is selling & installing the engine for 1,600.- with a warranty. Seems like alot, and aliga does have a point, but I just want relaibility. We travel by car alot, that's why I got the Lexx!

pic one
pic two[

Last edited by garrick-co; 02-07-04 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-08-04 | 09:56 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Default Re: UpDate

What is your point? You asked for help, we gave you the solution. A camry engine doesn't cost that much, Probably run about $400. If you have the cash to spend, then bring it to the dealership. It would run you at least 5k. Spending more money doesn't mean better!!!!!!!!
JPI
Originally posted by garrick-co
Here's some Pix of the damage to my '94 ES 300, which threw a rod down thru the bottom of the crank-case these were taken looking up from the ground. If I got closer it would have given little reference to where it was, but further would have obscured the damage

BTW, I have found a '96 Camary engine - low miles and such. The recommendation of this shop is an off-duty Lexus dealership service staff, who shall remain unnamed. After having been told the dealership was looking at a billl of over $10k (gasp!) This other shop is selling & installing the engine for 1,600.- with a warranty. Seems like alot, and aliga does have a point, but I just want relaibility. We travel by car alot, that's why I got the Lexx!

pic one
pic two[
Old 02-10-04 | 12:24 AM
garrick-co
Driver School Candidate

Yes, JPI, I did ask for help & advice. I did get some, for which I am grateful. The answer? There is no single answer, that is exactly why I asked for input.
And it exactly those many choices I was conflicted by. To some extent you get what you pay for yet sticking solely to that sets one up for wasting money. I feel that I have struck what seems to my Libran sense of balance to be what will fit for me. In the interest of possibly helping others who might face this sort of thing, I have been trying to document the whole thing. I'm no authority, but when I found myself in this position I found little more than advertisements when searching for information. In that vein I plan to update this as things happen.
Summing up what may have not been clear above, I heard everything from 10k from The Lexus Dealer to 5k from a remanufactured engine installed, to Aliga's 3-500.- drop it in. The 'low miles imported from Japan' and the rebuilt engine were both 1900.- and another thousand for install. I'm too chicken to chance 'just a junk yard engine' even tho I could go thru more than one for the money. So, where I'm at now is 1600.- , with install, of a '96 Camary engine into my '94 ES 300.
Like everything else, the only way I'll really know how good of idea it is will be in hindsight
Old 02-10-04 | 05:20 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

i hate to tell you, your getting raped. Enough out of me, good luck to you!
Old 02-10-04 | 06:27 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Good luck to you sir.
JPI