ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Great DIY stuff for ya all!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 07:55 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Great DIY stuff for ya all!

Im happy to be back and all set up again...

I was just going through some things here in Japan, and found out about some Japanese sites.. I found 2 great Windom sites, that have heaps of pics to look at, aswell as do it yourself stuff.. The first one is at this address: http://www.windom-owners.com It is however in Japanese.. Buttons are in English.. But I have a site to help you with that..

The second site I love is a great site for DIY stuff.. http://ww3.tiki.ne.jp/~lexus/ You will love this one.. Again in Japanese, but if you click the links to the right side, it will show you alot of stuff.. You should work most stuff out with the diagrams, but if not I have a translation program that can help with the text.. ..

Now lastly.. These pages are in Japanese.. So to get the information, you need to go into your settings, and set your computer so that it will read Japanese text.. Once that is done, you can then go to http://babelfish.altavista.com/ All you have to do, is copy the text you want translated, and paste it in the appropriate window, then translate it into the language you want... It will read funny, as it is not exact, but you will get the idea!.. Have fun with it guys!

Chris
Old 02-21-04, 08:16 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Fascinating stuff! I've been browsing through them for a few minutes now. I see an interesting section on the second one about doing mods to the instrument cluster. I've also noticed some differences between US spec models and these Windoms--one pic showed a button on the automatic transmission, next to the ECT Power button, marked "Manu", and another car appeared to not have a driver's airbag.

Thanks for posting this up, I can see a lot of mod ideas coming out of these sites

Addendum: Wow, somebody who's handy with a Dremel needs to do the DIY E-Class style mirror mod

Last edited by squarehat; 02-21-04 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-21-04, 09:05 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Hey thats ok.. Did you work out how to translate the info?

Yeah my car has the "Manu" botton aswell, but I dont know what it is for, I will ask someone here about that... That Mirror mod is next inline for my car.. We have external lights that we can buy in the auto shops here in Japan, but I always wanted it to be inbuilt. So I for one was happy that I found a site that shows how to do it!.. Thats next.. At the momment, I am in the process of redoing my interior.. It was silver, but I am trying to decide wether to go back to wood grain, or like the black interior of the new ES sports model.. I saw a pic of a new ES sports with black interior.. I liked the black wood grain I think it is.. So If anyone has any ideas as what will work well with an all black interior, please feel free to let me know!.. Im open for suggestion.. the next thing I want to do is chrome my grille.. I have seen a few older Windoms here that have chromed the grilles to make them a little more modern.. My car is silver, and I love silver cars that have heaps of chrome on them...

Chris
Old 02-21-04, 10:32 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG!! So many nice Windoms it makes me to want to cry. Thanks for the sites Chris!!

I really really want this lip....

Old 02-21-04, 10:38 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

There is a guy that lives up the road from me with the identicle same car (color wheels everything) and to be honest with you. I love the lip aswell, but in real life, it looks strange, as the rest of the car looks bleak.. What I mean is, that the ES's sit very high unless lowered, and so if you have a lip on the front, you need something along the sides to even it up..... You can get away with nothing on the back... Thats my delema.. I want that lip also, but have to find the side skirts to go with it...

Chris
Old 02-21-04, 10:40 PM
juan01
Pole Position

my car is lowered, that might help how much does that lip go for there?

amazing cars on the windom-owners.com. Man, I'm so jealous right now... I even saw some pics of someone doing the black housing DIY!
Old 02-21-04, 10:46 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Not sure on price, but when I find out. I'll let you know.. Yeah, they are great sites.. After I finish my interior (still scratching my head) I will start on the Mercedes style mirror lights, and then redo my front and back lights.. Cluster will be last!
Old 02-21-04, 10:55 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Thanks... I'll see if Robert can go shopping for me.
Old 02-21-04, 11:10 PM
juan01
Pole Position

MCV20's car is on some of these sites....

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...2FVincent.html

Why have you been holding out on us man?
Old 02-21-04, 11:35 PM
xsohaib
Driver

The needle stuff is especially helpful, I shall have that translated and will be posting a step by step of my own, because I thing most if not all es300 owners suffer from this problem. Another question, some people in Japan have like a navigation system in their 92-95 ES's what is that (aftermarket?)

Sohaib
Old 02-21-04, 11:46 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Yes, basically every new car here in Japan comes standard with Navigation.. This is not the case in other countries...As for older models, it is aftermarket.. Even Carolla's come with navigation here.. You can buy a base model that doesnt supply it, but it is a cheap accessory now in Japan.. We have many brands on offer here, so the competative pricing is good.. I guess it is taken for granted now... I have an after market Sony CD MD stereo with flat screen display.. Many people think it is a Navi or television when they first see it.. I am looking at a Navi TV CD MD with PC Memory card slot all in one to replace it with...Other thing's that come with vehicles in Japan are all round parking sensors. And as Japan has many tight ally's. We now have camera's on the front side spoiler that let us see left and right if any traffic is comming from either direction.. This is a great feature, as in small streets, houses are built up to the road side, and you cant get out far enough to physically see for youself... It display's the pictures on the TV screen for you to see before moving out...

Chris
Old 02-22-04, 12:01 AM
shp vcv10
Driver School Candidate

i cannot believe all that cool stuff is standard over there...

thats it! im moving to japan. who's with me? we can get a GB on airline tickets
Old 02-22-04, 12:41 AM
shp vcv10
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the great links...

the guy from the second one is really good. his work (esp. for the rear view mirrors) looks incredibly professional. i hope my hands are as steady as his when i do this.
Old 02-22-04, 01:28 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

old website

way too much for me to translate

some of the cars are nice
Old 02-22-04, 01:35 AM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

New for some people.. Hopefully someone can get some use out of the different idea's!.. I know I have enjoyed seeing something different... If you are having trouble translating anything, let me know, I can understand most of it...

Chris

Quick Reply: Great DIY stuff for ya all!