ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

BIG Problem...Driving me CRAZY. Need Help...Please..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 06:41 AM
Trippinond
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG Problem...Driving me CRAZY. Need Help...Please..

I have a 1997 Es300..100k..never crashed. excellent condition. But for the past 3-4 months i've had one problem that i cant seem to get rid of even after taking it to 3 different mechanics.

When driving, any little bump in the road..from the smallest thing gives off some rattling sound from the front. Its coming from both sides and sort of like something is loose...
I took it to one mechanic...he said to change the struts. did that..didnt help..
I took it to another mechanic, he said to change the stabilizer links..did that..didnt help.

I just took it to a 3rd mechanic, he tells me "everything looks new...i dont know what the problem can be"

Sometimes the rattling is worse than other times..but its there from turning the wheel..going on the smallest bumps in the road..and i'm starting to get gray hair from this...

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Danny
Old 03-02-04, 08:56 AM
sutandia
Driver School Candidate

I have a rattling sound in my 2000 ES that I isolated to be from the seat belt clamp on the passenger side.
Old 03-02-04, 08:58 AM
ganski
Driver School Candidate

Considering that I have basically an identical car (97 es 300, 104k, etc.), the EXACT same problem and am considering the same remedies, I wish someone could come up with an answer to this question! I haven't, as of yet, taken any of the steps you've tried; however, I have taken the car to two mechanics and both have said that everything looks fine and all they could suggest would be to replace the struts. At about $400 for that procedure, I'd like to at least be guaranteed that would solve the problem. Obviously, it didn't with yours - so maybe you've at least saved me an unnecessary expense - Thanks! Anybody have any additional input?
Old 03-02-04, 09:12 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Is it coming from the very front of the passenger cabin? If so, I think its from where the dash meets the windshield. Theres a thin slot that runs the length of the dash to allow defogger vent air through, and if you go more forward there is a rib that touches the windshield (the fact that it touches the windshield has nothing to do with the rattle) This seems to bubble up slightly, and I can hear it creak a little when I press down on it. Ive tried pulling it up and stuffing some polyeter and superglue in there to silence it, but it would require taking the whole dash apart... and it only creaks from time to time going over big bumps.

Im certain if you get in yer car and start pressing all over the dash where it meets the windshield you'll find the spot that bubbled up and creaks.
Old 03-02-04, 02:20 PM
Trippinond
Driver

No, the noise is definatly coming somewhere around the wheels, or strut towers...and slight movement int he suspension causes the noise so it cant possibly by the windshield.

Ganski - I'm glad at least one of us can save $400..

I'm considering taking it to lexus, but they charge $80 just for a diagnostic and they might not even get it right...

I'm really hoping for someone who had a similar problem or knows what the problem is to come fwd and help us out here...
Old 03-02-04, 02:52 PM
sk8er251cc
Pole Position

I have a 2000 and had the same problem with the passenger front seat belt.
Old 03-02-04, 03:03 PM
binelus
Pole Position

Lubricate your door joints (articulation). Check if it's noisy after you lubricate it.
Old 03-02-04, 06:52 PM
m0mentary
Rookie

I have a 2001 that also rattles, as far as I know my rattling comes from behind the pop out ash tray or A/C console since when I apply pressure to the black housing behing the ash tray, or the wooden panel where the shifter is where it meets the ash tray housing, the rattling is minimized. I also have the seat belt buckle vibration. For me I found that the rattling happened where the buckle is attactched to the seat, so my solution was to raise the seat up so that it pushed against the buckle. No more rattling there. Sometimes I also get rattling in near the doors and at first I thought it was the tweeter housing but Im not so sure anymore. Finally, for some reason I tend to notice the rattling more when the weather is cold. Im not sure if its just me, but does anyone else experience this?
Old 03-02-04, 09:40 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Possibly the motor mounts wearing out??
Old 03-02-04, 11:27 PM
Trippinond
Driver

No, it doesnt really sound like the motor mounts. I had bad motor mounts on my other car...its a different sound at different times of driving.
More when shifting from park into drive and the motor moves causing the noise from the motor mounts.
Old 03-03-04, 07:34 AM
bigsax
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem with my 95. No one could tell me what the noise was. It sounded like $h!t!!! But two weeks ago I put on aftermarket wheels and the noise went away. The noise was coming from my crappy centercaps on my oem wheels. i would check them before doing anything else.
Old 03-03-04, 08:49 PM
Trippinond
Driver

thanks for the heads up..i'll check the center caps tomorrow..but i doubt it..i have the is300 rims..the center caps seem like they are almost glued on. ill check anyway.
Old 03-03-04, 10:14 PM
George Hsieh
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that problem on my 98es too before... but I got it fix.....
I got it to Lexus dealer and they hear the sound come from the front wheel.... so they jack it up,,, didn't see any problem so they lower it down... after that I never hear that sound again.....( before that I had that sound for 3 months..) the dealer say that it might be when they jack up the car so high,,, the strut or something must reset it...... that is why they told me... and I am happy with that... because I never had to hear that again..... hope that helps
Old 03-03-04, 10:54 PM
hvac_tim
Driver School Candidate

Default Your axle is loose

I have a 98 ES300 with the same problem which also drives me nuts. I'm mechanically driven & finally had time to get under the car to find the axle causing this "clonking" noise when driving over small bumps (gutter pots, rough roads, etc...). I'm in the process to find out whether this is a recall problem since my car has never been in an accident & the axle seems perfectly fine. If anyone out there knows more about this, pls let us know.

hvac_tim@yahoo.com
Old 03-04-04, 06:42 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys this is a common problem on the ES300. Have your strut caps replaced. Make sure you put a new bearing also.
JPI

Quick Reply: BIG Problem...Driving me CRAZY. Need Help...Please..