ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: What was your first mod on the ES?
Lighting (i.e. halogen, HID, clear corners)
34.58%
Tint
23.36%
Wheels
12.15%
Suspension
3.74%
I.C.E (i.e. audio/video)
11.21%
Body-related (i.e. spoiler, body kit)
2.80%
Other
12.15%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

What was your first mod on the ES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-04, 07:18 PM
whiteguyz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Es3 bLk 94
Bulb change.
A little off topic but... where'd you get those SC wheels? Those bomb, but mad expensive online.
Old 03-30-04, 10:19 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20% tint.
Old 04-01-04, 12:03 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by AusLex300
First mod.. I changed my Toyota Windom Lexter Badges to the Lexus Es badges..

Sorry for being political. But this light thing has really got me.. I am going to have to join ClubDesklamp. com now!! hehehe

Chris
I think I'm going to have to join the real modifications club where people do major things as their first MOD like change their badges . What ever it is that you have done to your car that makes it different from stock CL people, then that is your MOD and enjoy it. By the way my first mod was 18" racing heart C2 Evo, thank goodness my car already had lexus badges .
Old 04-01-04, 05:15 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Stefwilli
I think I'm going to have to join the real modifications club where people do major things as their first MOD like change their badges . What ever it is that you have done to your car that makes it different from stock CL people, then that is your MOD and enjoy it. By the way my first mod was 18" racing heart C2 Evo, thank goodness my car already had lexus badges .
LOL funny one man, but I agree. Although I'm not a bulb type guy myself (i'm more for HID), if a person replaces something that was stock with a aftermarket, or upgraded part, then it is a mod.

For us 2nd Gen GS guys, 01+ tails are a mod, even though they serve no purpose other than improved looks. I think some bulbs can improve light output and give a crisper look so they can be a mod as well.
Old 04-01-04, 06:02 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Well, I dont even class changing my badges as a real mod anyway.. A Toyota is a Toyota, with or without Lexus badges.. Its all made at the exact same plant... As an ES is a Windom, to a GS just being an Aristo.. They are the exact same car.. The only reason I did eventually change my badges, was because over here, I would have something that was a little different from the norm.. But at the end of the day. A Windom driver knows that it is the exact same car as his... As Lexus's are just Toyota's anyway, I wouldnt put changing badges in the catergory of modding.. I would class it as an option?....

Chris
Old 04-01-04, 06:19 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by AusLex300
Well, I dont even class changing my badges as a real mod anyway.. I wouldnt put changing badges in the catergory of modding.. I would class it as an option?....
Not to get debatable here, but what about someone changing gold emblems to, say, the silver or black pearl kind? Would that be classified as a mod or not? I think that's an interesting thing to think about...
Old 04-01-04, 06:50 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Different impressions for different people.. I say that its an option.. They all come with some kind of badge, no matter what the color? But the badges are all the same, just different color.. Its still an ES, or in my case, Windom...

Chris
Old 04-01-04, 06:58 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I guess it depends on the person...

Whatever didn't come with my car when I bought it, I call it a mod. Simple as that.
Old 04-01-04, 07:51 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Yeah, I do agree its the thinking of the individual person.. Its good to have a good clean honest debate about it too... I guess I came about to my way of thinking for several reasons.. First off.. If you buy a new ES, and if you buy that ES without the optional navigation, and then a year later decide to have it installed. Does that count as a mod?.. After all it came as an option in the first place.. The fact that you buy without, and later decide to install it, doesnt mean that its wasnt meant to be there in the first place? Or designed not for it to be there? My thinking is also in the way that if it was designed to have a navigation system in it, why should it just be for a navigation system that the manufacturer desides?

I guess that if you physically change the original look of the car in a way that it wasnt designed, for either looks, or performance reasons. Then I say that its a mod!.. ie: tv screens in headrests.. Turn signals in the mirrors ect ect....Lights might shine a little brighter than another brand, but you are not changing the asthetic look of the vehicle in order to do it....Just the ability of the light to shine in a different way or brightness...

Just because this is my thinking, doesnt mean that I am right!..

Chris
Old 04-01-04, 11:23 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Custom intake I pulled from my wrecked Protege. (First week I ahd the car shut up!)
Then to a K&N filter in the stock box. (I still say only get an intake for the ES if you want the sound...)

Then 9005 Silverstars modded to the low beams (+10w 55w vs 65w)
OEM dim fog lights replaced with cheap(and still very bright) $7 Hella replacements.

Then 9005 low beams -> replace OEM phillips high beam.
Phillips 9006 6000K HID installed into the low beams at the same time.

Then came me... The god of audio & I ripped everything pertaining directly to stock audio (except antenna and power wire for the head unit) OUT of the car.
FYI Update on the stereo. I took the dash out & cut out enough material to fit 2 3" kicker speakers for funzies about two weeks ago. (Someone dared asked me why there was no sound comming out of them... B/C the first set I put in there blew hah. Kicker's RMA was easy enough to use.)

I just replaced two Brembo slotted rotors(front) & OEM Toyota(rear - obviously) with Autozone pads with 4 blank Brembo rotors. Hawk HPS pads on front, Akebono pro-act ceramic pads rear. Props to TireRack & Brandon (Enjoy the commision!)

Write-up to come in a few. (no pics)

FYI - My Silverstars should be counted as a mod by any rule simply because a 9005 does not fit in a 9006 hole.

IMHO Any upgrade that produces a fairly noticeable change from OEM should be counted.
Which is why I listed a $7 bulb in the same space as a $480 HID kit... There-Hence-Forth I say PIAA & Silverstars should count, just because they are a noticeable differance from OEM.
Old 04-02-04, 06:53 PM
Grif
Driver School Candidate

If we're classifying changing badges and bulbs as mods, then I'll submit my adjusting the drivers seat when I got in the 1st time as my 1st mod.
Old 04-02-04, 08:20 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

hahaha.. funny....

chris
Old 04-29-04, 03:32 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Not sure which I did first, put my CD changer in, or clear the front corners...
Old 04-29-04, 09:59 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Doing the lenses, I call a mod.. Adding a cd changer I dont.. When painting the lenses, you are changing the asthetic look of the vehicle.. Adding a CD changer is just adding to what it has originally come with, but your not physically changing anything? God, I havnt started this again have I? hahaha

Chris
Old 05-07-04, 06:30 AM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Technically a mod is a modification, right? So by adding a cd changer I modified my car

Honestly though, I couldnt care less about what other people think mods are

Quick Reply: What was your first mod on the ES?