ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Creaking When I Turn The Steering Wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-04, 09:39 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Creaking When I Turn The Steering Wheel?

When I turn my steering wheel I hear this creaking noise, it is not high pitched creaking. I tried putting some grease on the steering column under the dash but it didn't do anything. Does anyone know what this is? Thanks
Old 04-03-04, 07:06 PM
cam2Xrunner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what you're hearing is coming from your front strut mounts. There is a bearing inside of the mount that can go bad. Have someone stand outside the car near the front wheels when you turn the steering wheel both ways to listen for any noise.
Old 04-03-04, 07:11 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

how would I fix that? Is it hard? You know a step by step procedure page? Thanks
Old 04-03-04, 07:53 PM
cam2Xrunner
Rookie

If it is in fact coming from the strut mount bearing, you are going to have to take the front struts out. Now is a good time to upgrage your strut sand springs(not nec springs, unless you want it lowered). Buy new strut mounts and also the bearings, from the dealer only. You might have trouble with the monroe or kyb ones. I'd rec taking this to a good shop or the dealer. it can be dangerous working with compressed springs without the proper tools and knowledge of how to do it. The labor for doing the struts is usually around 1 hour labor per corner. The mounts cost anywhere from 45-75 dollars. Not too sure on how much the bearings are. I'd go with these
tokico struts

And the eibach springs. If you want to go lower than 1.5 inches look into H&R or intrax or st springs, theres others too. the eibachs with tokicos will still give you a nice ride, and handle alot better.

As for the strut mounts and bearings go to the dealer for those. Don't worry about strut mounts for the rear.

If your going to get the new struts and springs another good idea would be to look into a large rear swaybar. Whiteline makes one and trd makes one.
Old 04-03-04, 10:25 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

crap, I have no where near that much $ right now, I am in college, still paying off the car, etc. Is this necessary if it is where the creaking is from? Thanks
Old 04-03-04, 10:31 PM
cam2Xrunner
Rookie

If it is the strut mount bearing it isn't that imp. to fix it right away. I drove my car like that for like 15k before getting really sick of it.
Old 04-03-04, 10:49 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

cool, thanks, I plan on getting her lowered eventually so I will do that at the same time.
Old 04-04-04, 12:13 AM
cam2Xrunner
Rookie

If you do it yourself make sure that you support the rear trailing arms when the struts are removed. If you let it go down its weight will pull on the abs line and ruin the senor. And if you bring it to a shop make sure to remind them of this. The sensor is pretty expensive.
Old 04-06-04, 08:38 AM
branshew
Driver School Candidate

Where is the creaking noise coming from. I hear one occassionally on my '95 ES when I turn, but the sound is coming from inside the cabin or just inside the dash. I don't think it is the struts at all, but something with the steering column itself.

If your noise sounds like it is coming from underneath the car or in the suspension, I would say it's the struts. If it comes from inside the car, then it is deinitely something else.
Old 04-08-04, 05:44 AM
one30boy
Driver School Candidate

I have the same creaking sound on my '99 es300 it goes away sometimes though and the sound seems to be coming from inside the car.
Old 04-08-04, 12:29 PM
njes300
Pole Position

I have the same problem on my 97. It seems to be coming from the steering column once in awhile.
Old 04-08-04, 12:41 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

i think mcv20 had a similar problem a while back. you could send a pm to him.
Old 04-08-04, 01:37 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Yeah, it sounds like it is coming from the column, that is why I tried greesing the U-joints under the dash. I'm not sure what it is.
Old 04-08-04, 06:11 PM
one30boy
Driver School Candidate

when u guys are turning your steering wheel is the car moving? i usually hear it while the car is at idle or stopped when im parking; i dont hear it while im making a turn around a corner.
Old 04-09-04, 08:31 AM
DK Audio
Pole Position

yup, it seems to happen when I am at idle or going very slow.

Quick Reply: Creaking When I Turn The Steering Wheel?