ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Questions re: funny sound, brakes, lights and battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 10:14 PM
zach
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions re: funny sound, brakes, lights and battery

1) There is a funny sound that my 1997 ES 300 makes whenever I go over a bump or pothole. It is like a "thump, thump" that sounds like it comes from the back of the trunk. I have tried to tighten my spare tire and tried to duct tape down the plywood covering it. But that hasn't stopped the sound. It's so annoying, and I'm worried it might be something serious. Any ideas or suggestions?

2) My brakes are screeching, making a high-pitched noise when I come to a stop. Is this simply because they're adjusting to the Arizona early summer heat? How long does this process take, and is there anything I can do to alleviate it?

3) I'd like to get new headlights for my ES 300. I would like xenon lights, but I understand those can be expensive. Are there other HID lights on the market that would a) look good, b) be economical and c) be easy to install for a novice? Any recommendations?

4) Last week, I let my roommate use the car for a few days when I was out of town. When he picked me up from the airport, I noticed the dome light was on and brutally hot to the touch. He didn't know how long it'd been on, a couple days at the most. I turned it off. The car started fine all that day, and all the next Thursday and Friday. But on Saturday morning, the car refused to start at all. I got a clicking sound at first, and then nothing. I got a jump from a girl in the parking lot, and it's worked since then, though the starting doesn't seem as smooth as it should be. On Saturday, after I got the jump, I went to AutoZone and had their free battery and alternator inspection performed. The battery was declared in good shape, but with a low charge. The technician told me it'd last for another 3 to 4 months. The alternator was also in good shape, he said.

so... any suggestions to my multitude of problems?
Old 04-16-04, 05:48 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Let's see what I can do to help you out...

1) Have your struts, or better yet, your strut mounts checked by a local mechanic. I'm betting most likely the strut mounts since they sound like they could be on their way out.

2) Your brake pads are wearing thin and need to be replaced. Have them checked out ASAP before your rotors sustain any damage (FYI, the rears tend to wear faster than the fronts).

3) To get the similar HID look, I suggest looking into upgraded halogen bulbs for your low beams (H7 type), particularly from the brands like Sylvania, PIAA and Razo. They are cheaper ($50-$60 per set), and easy to install yourself. I'm currently running PIAA Xtreme Whites (rated 4150K color temp) in the low beams of my 2001 ES300. I understand installing an aftermarket HID assembly to a '97-'99 ES is a bit tricky process because it will involve some mechanical know-how and possibly some drilling for proper fit. One member has successfully installed the factory '00-'01 ES300 HID assembly into his '98 ES.

4) Hmm, low charge on the battery? Well do yourself a favor and get a new one before any problems show up down the road (i.e. getting stuck on a busy street).
Old 04-16-04, 06:57 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lexusk8 got 1 through 3.

on #4, tell your roommate he owes you a battery and to at least meet you half way. catch a DieHard on sale that way you only have to cop up $40 each. Nip the battery in the butt so that you ain't stranded out in the desert late at night in the summer.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 04-16-04 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-16-04, 07:59 AM
zach
Rookie

Thanks for the posts guys! sk8, I don't think the brake pads are wearing thin... I neglected to mention, they're brand new; I got them less than a month ago. And my front brakes are at 90% or so.
Old 04-16-04, 01:22 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

were they Toyo/Lexus OEm pads or were they Autozone or some other aftermarket. If they are metalic pads they will sometimes squeal a little upon light pressure then the squeal goes away with more pressure on the pedal. It may also be that the tech who did the brake pad replacement didn't put enough (anti-squeal) blue goop on back of the pads during installation.

squeal is a noise, noise is created by vibration

steviej
Old 04-18-04, 12:38 AM
Lexes397
Rookie

How long will the metalic pads sqeal for upon light pressure? I just got some installed the other day and I hear it squealin on light pressure, then goes away, then comes back again. Is it going to keep on squealing or is it going to stop after broken in?
Old 04-18-04, 05:49 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

that is a characteristic of metallic pads......turn your radio up.

steviej