ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 06:49 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)

A little background info...

Two years ago, I had the 90K done from my previous Lexus (1996 ES300 Coach Edition), and at that time, I didn't pay particular attention to the care and maintenance done on the car and what not. I ended up paying for everything on the 90K (plus an oil pan leak repair and rear brakes) for $2,200 Any smart-minded individual would say that's not the correct move at all from a savings standpoint, but at least I've learned my lesson since then

Now today, I have just sent my 2001 ES300 w/ 86,700 miles off to Lexus of Westport to have the 90K service done. This time, I informed the service advisor the following items not to be done on the 90K: wiper refills, battery, engine oil/filter, tire rotation/alignment, air filter, A/C filter, and transmission fluid. I had recently done all those services by myself and at other shops. I'm not sure how much I saved from the service chop, but everything else (including the timing belt and other fluids) will be done.

In addition to the 90K, I also had them to inspect the rough idle problem, and the driver's side window switch ('AUTO' function not working correctly).

An update of all the service results will definitely show up after the next couple of days.
Old 04-20-04, 06:58 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Talking Loaner

In the meantime, they gave me a free 2003 ES300 loaner (Alabaster Metallic), including a full tank of gas

The '03 ES had a more comfortable and quiet driving feel than my '01, and I was impressed with everything about how it looks on the outside (i.e. aerodynamic shape and design, consistent body lines, monotone color). Keep in mind that I had never taken a serious drive on a '02+ ES before, so my opinions have varied greatly about this car as opposed to before when I was just looking at the ones from the showroom
Attached Thumbnails My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)-es3-front.jpg  
Old 04-20-04, 06:59 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Rear quarter shot. I find it somewhat strange that the '02+ ES does not have a trunk keyhole
Attached Thumbnails My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)-es3-rear.jpg  
Old 04-20-04, 07:01 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

The seats in this ES are softer and more supple, and come in one of my favorite colors, light charcoal
Attached Thumbnails My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)-front-seat.jpg  
Old 04-20-04, 07:06 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

The GS-like instrument gauge cluster is a huge improvement on the '02+ ES. I love the indiglo blue backlighting on the numbers, and the display in the center portion of the cluster which monitors average MPG, real-time MPG, miles to drive before fill-up, and E/T (extended time?) Weird feeling an all-leather steering wheel (as opposed to the wood-and-leather wheel in my '01)
Attached Thumbnails My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)-driver-console.jpg  
Old 04-20-04, 07:12 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

The center console embraces an all-new look compared to the '01. Pretty much ergonomic to me, such as the heat seater buttons embedded with the console, and outdoor temp always showing on the LCD display. In-dash 6-CD changer is a nice feature, but I still prefer the cartridge style in all pre-'02 ES models. The chrome outlines on the left, right and bottom of the console are kinda blingy but OK to me
Attached Thumbnails My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)-center-console.jpg  
Old 04-20-04, 07:14 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

I like this new feature, similar to all the SC430 models. Pretty self-explanatory
Attached Thumbnails My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)-purse-holder.jpg  
Old 04-20-04, 07:17 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

The rear seating area has a couple of improvements: rear air vents, and cup holders on the armrest. The '01 also has cupholders, but they're located near the floor. Ignore the red smudge behind the passenger seat; it was already there when I got the loaner, I swear
Attached Thumbnails My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)-rear-seat.jpg  
Old 04-20-04, 07:24 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Default Last loaner pic

Although the same HP and torque on the engine as in that from the '01, it handles a little better, and the suspension is stiffened up a little (note the factory strut tower brace). The acceleration of the '03 ES is smooth and quick, but the transmission feels like it kinda slips at certain times (esp. going from gear 2 to gear 3). I remember reading that a TSB for all '02+ ES was announced for a software fix in the transmission system, so I guess this particular loaner ES hasn't undergone the "repair" yet.

The wind noise definitely reduced on this one, thanks to the framed doors and perhaps better industrial engineering

Can't wait to test more of the ES out on the highways tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)-engine.jpg  
Old 04-20-04, 07:37 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow! that's one hell of a loaner car! they must have loaned that one to you to tempt you to get one of those. the interior is so noice!
Old 04-20-04, 07:50 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's exactly like the Alabaster/light gray '02 ES I got as a loaner for two days this past November when my engine seals were being replaced. I loved the luxurious interior (although I thought my '96 with the perforated seats looked sportier), but I didn't like the lag of the electronic throttle. The '02 felt like it had heavier steering than my '96, but body roll seemed about the same. I also thought the Pioneer system on my '96 sounded better than the system on the loaner '02 (the 92-96 systems are very well soundstaged with the speakers on top of the dash).
Old 04-20-04, 08:59 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those cars have a GREAT interior, I especially like the footwell lighting (soft orange)
Old 04-20-04, 11:23 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interior is awesome...I never ever want to return the loaner car they give me!!!

so far, I've gotten an ES300, ES330, RX330, and IS300... can't wait till they get me a GS!
Old 04-21-04, 12:54 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

add a spoiler, change to silver and put in a wood grain steering wheel and you have my car (sans red smudge).

nice write up Doug.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 04-21-04 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-21-04, 05:18 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Nice evaluation Doug! Lexus has made a lot of strides with the new generation ES for sure! I had a chance to sit in an 04 ES at the Lexus dealer while getting some warranty work done on my 01'. The 04' also had the variable adjustable suspension system (no factory strut tower brace so I guess I know the answer to that question now). I found new ES quite a bit bigger while I was sitting in it myself which isn't that big of a deal really, just have a thing for the styling on our generation I guess, but the new generation is georgous nontheless!

Keep us posted on the rough idle issue. I'm courious to know what what the cause & the cure. When was the last time you did a complete tune up? & what specific parts did you use out of couriousity? & how much (ball park) are we talking to replace the timing belt? Just courious I'm only half way to 90k but something I will make a note of for when the time does come. Thanks Doug & excellent write up again!!

Bren

Quick Reply: My 2nd 90K experience (and loaner pics)