ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

my new 19s... wiiiide

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-04, 01:53 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the wheels are tight, good choice..

I understand the concept of going wide, and I'm all for it....but those back wheels look like crap, I don't think the wheel should stick out like that.....looks lowrider style....flush but wide would be nice
Old 04-24-04, 02:25 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by el gato
flush but wide would be nice

just wait and see
Old 04-24-04, 02:58 PM
sk8er251cc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

front wheel drive
Old 04-24-04, 03:34 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Originally posted by HoeBag
id like to hear what everyones opinions are... whether theyre negative or positive, so dont hold back if you have somethin to say
i like the racing harts, i like how they go with the car and the sideskirts. i bet once the body kit pieces have been molded and the rear turned widebody, it would look nice. but that's just it... it justs look nice. would i like the car... no. would you care if other people didn't like your car? yes you would becuase you're aiming for a showcar and the whole point of showing off your car is to get people to admire it. what's there to admire about a staggered look on a fwd es300? nothing. if you're goal is to impress judges, then judges will be impressed on just the looks alone and forget that it's a luxury car or that it's a fwd. hell they might even give you a trophy. just remember that judges dont have to admire your car and that they would give you a trophy for best looking car just to be fair. it's like nywizards' gs300; you'd have to turn a really blind eye, forget that it's a lexus and judge the car by appearance. do people admire it... hell no! car shows are not suppose to be about pleasing the judges, it should be about the people WHO PAY to see your car admire it. im sorry hoebag but i wouldn't pay to see a staggered fwd lexus.
Old 04-24-04, 05:21 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

that would be cool in the imaginary world where the spectators passed out trophies and not the judges...
Old 04-24-04, 05:35 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 19's on es

Originally posted by HoeBag
that would be cool in the imaginary world where the spectators passed out trophies and not the judges...
Judging by your comment, I guess you really don't want to hear the not so good comments. I guess I'll keep quiet.
Old 04-24-04, 05:39 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm with sk8er and FLiP... why in God's green earth would you do that to a FWD car? If you're trying to set a standard for us ES owners, I'm sorry; you got the wrong crowd. If you want a staggered look, why don't you consider purchasing and modding a GS, instead of ruining the fine luxury solid looks of the ES?

If this all doesn't hit some sense to your head, here are some past quotes from a related thread:

This is from 1SICKLEX:
Onto a staggered setup on FWD, that is a no, no. Staggered is a functional thing for RWD cars. It allows more tire onto the rear, where the power delivery is. Staggered on FWD serves no purpose and you will get bashed for it. On the Acura boards, a couple guys did it and got FLAMED BADLY. It makes no sense on a FWD car.
And this is from Nabeel:
Wider rear wheels/tires on a FWD car? LOL!! I'm sorry, but that is really not a smart thing to do. Do you know anything about vehicle dynamics? An ES300 understeers enough as is, putting wider rear rubber will do nothing but amplify that handling trait. Sure, I understand that you want the looks, but in an emergency accident-avoidance situation, your car will not be able to handle as it is supposed to, and your chances of getting in an accident of far greater because the balance from the factory has been thrown out of whack. Going after looks is cool, but doing it at the expense of vehicle performance, safety, and function is flat-out dumb.
I assume like all of us, you use the ES as your everyday vehicle. With the new wheels and tires set up like it, you're going to produce LOTS of problems with your suspension components (stock or not) down the road. It may not be evident now, but it will happen. Not worth the risk, especially for a daily driver.

And I also assume you would expect "flames" by others on the display of your wheel/tire setup. HoeBag, THIS IS THE REASON THREADS GET CLOSED DOWN Not a smart move at all.

Thanks for listening,
lexusk8
Old 04-24-04, 05:48 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

actually i knew i would get flamed.. i dont really care...

im prolly the only one with the ***** (or crazy enough) to do a staggered setup on an es300.... you guys may not like it, but i do... i like the lips on the wheels, and if you think im crazy to do staggered on this car.. these wheels were on an eclipse before me, and you would be out of your mind to flame his car since itll be at SEMA next year

but anyways... i do respect yalls opinions, but telling me that it doesnt serve a purpose wont make me change my mind especially when my car will be a lot wider soon...
Old 04-24-04, 05:49 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 19's on es

Originally posted by lexusk8
I'm with sk8er and FLiP... why in God's green earth would you do that to a FWD car? If you're trying to set a standard for us ES owners, I'm sorry; you got the wrong crowd. If you want a staggered look, why don't you consider purchasing and modding a GS, instead of ruining the fine luxury solid looks of the ES?

If this all doesn't hit some sense to your head, here are some past quotes from a related thread:

This is from 1SICKLEX:

And this is from Nabeel:

I assume like all of us, you use the ES as your everyday vehicle. With the new wheels and tires set up like it, you're going to produce LOTS of problems with your suspension components (stock or not) down the road. It may not be evident now, but it will happen. Not worth the risk, especially for a daily driver.

And I also assume you would expect "flames" by others on the display of your wheel/tire setup. HoeBag, THIS IS THE REASON THREADS GET CLOSED DOWN Not a smart move at all.

Thanks for listening,
lexusk8
I'm with these guys. You must not have consulted a professional before you put these on. I asked the guys at my wheel shop about this an was told it was not safe. Plus, it doesn't look that good. I couldn't help it, I had to say something...only because I care about a fellow CL member. In the end, it's your car, no haters here, do what you like.
Old 04-24-04, 07:03 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Safety is not an issue... He's got more traction front and back than he did before...

What you people should remember bringing safety up is that he's added some traction in he front, and a lot in the back. The front end IS NOT going to spin any easier than it would have before, so that is really just a moot arguement.

^^^ This is why we also agreed that he needs a thicker rear sway bar, that would help the front end maintain traction a ton.

Last edited by Toysrme; 04-24-04 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 07:07 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

So I would be careful before the "This has no purpose" argue starts because I'm sure 75% of this board could be included for isntalling third party intakes... I won't go there, some people have hard feelings!

Last edited by Toysrme; 04-24-04 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-24-04, 08:46 PM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice... if you can make the front look like the back..( stick out).. it will look more even...and more flush.
other than that... everythings looks good...
Old 04-24-04, 11:33 PM
whiteguyz
Rookie

Gorgeous.
Old 04-24-04, 11:54 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

safety? i dont see what isnt safe about it... i know i need thicker sway bars.. not a prob

the car actually handles A LOT better than before with the 18x7.5

if its not yalls style.. i can understand that, this just sets me out from the crowd
Old 04-25-04, 02:43 AM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Well no ES's rolled off the shelf like this, and basically wasnt designed for it .. So thats why safety is always an issue... I think you do have an issue with people liking your car.. I call it a cry for acceptance.. But you never think of the down side to why you do things.. It may look good now.. But if something break's, its your accident!

Of course some people are going to think it looks cool, and say "Yay man, love the look".. But it's five seconds of aplause.... ... I'm with the other guys on this!

Chris

Quick Reply: my new 19s... wiiiide