ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Re-painting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-04, 10:33 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-painting question

I've been browsing this forum for quite some time and finally decided that I might as well join...so here I am. Anyway, in the next couple of months I expect to inherit my dad's ES. It is currently beige on tan, which looks nice enough, however I plan on getting some 18" chromes, lowering springs, etc.....My dilema is: do I paint the car a COMPLETELY different color or not?? I really like the deep burgundy color the ES got in 2000 as seen below (I hope).

(That is the stock color right??)

Anyway, is it a good idea to change a cars color entirely or am I better off to just get in re-done in its current color? Obviously if it was re-done, it would be completely sanded down, so the quality would certainly be there as I want the color to look as genuine as possible (as it is a Lexus afterall). So am I crazy to go a different color or what? I just wanted to here other people's thoughts on this issue....and I appologize if this has been asked numerous times before; if it has, just point me in the right direction.

Another quick question; if I decide to get the car re-painted; do I use factory paint, or something different like HOK or something??

Thanks guys....

Old 05-09-04, 10:42 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Hey, welcome to the club!... Some people are sticklers for keeping things down the line.. But as for me. I hate the beige color (sorry to anyone who has it).. So I say paint the damn thing... Next question is, do you want it 2 tone.. Or do you want to repaint the whole body?.. Good luck!... In my opinion, 2 tone gives it it's original V.I.P look... But each to thier own....

Chris
Old 05-09-04, 10:46 PM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to join our club...

-before u re-paint your car to a totally difference colour, u have to caution that your resale value will drop definitly....(but if you are not planning on to re-sell it, that would not been a problem for you)

-why you want to repaint it at first..? is there any problem on the paint or accident.? (fade..)

IMO.. try do the drop, rims, first to see how it look b4 u repaint it...
Old 05-09-04, 11:01 PM
W. David
Pole Position

I guess I should have mentioned that the reason I want the repaint is because the car has a few rather noticeable stone-chips on either side of the grill...which thanks to my canadian winters and the salt on the roads starts to develop a tiny rust spot every now and then.....this is not noticable from a distance, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so if I know it's there, it best be on its way. So, a re-paint of atleast the hood will happen, the main thing is do i change the color or not?

Also, in responce to MCV; gotta keep the two-tone, it really helps make the car IMO.

Also, I plan on having the car a few years...and in all likelihood, will drive the abolsolute **** out of it anyway so resale value doesn't matter that much since I will be getting in for next to nothing anyway (thanks dad).

Thanks for your replies guys........keep 'em coming!
Old 05-09-04, 11:58 PM
MRLEXUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i say paint it ONE solid color. see the reason i painted it one solid color is because i had a bad wreck and said what the hell and it became, IMO better that the stocks colors that LEXUS puts out. so ya, i was in the same boat as you when it came to painting my lexus. make sure to buy a HIGH Dollar paint so it would look better than the cheap paints. i promise you will love the color

Last edited by MRLEXUS; 05-10-04 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-10-04, 02:10 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey dude, welcome... Nothing wrong with painting it, I also went from beige to my current color, vapor blue metallic. What I would do is get some new wheels/suspension, then go for the paint..... Are your chips that bad? I dunno, but yea, whatever you do... post up some pics!