ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

newbi who needs HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-04, 01:27 PM
nivram
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question newbi who needs HELP!!!!

Hay guys, I just bought a 1992 Lexus ES 300 with 130,000 miles about 3 weeks ago and its great!!!! But I do have one problem though, recently when I start the car to go out, smoke comes from up under the hood like I’m burning oil, and when I put the A/C on it smell like burnt oil coming through the A/C!!!! I check the car to see if it has a leak and it seems to have a small oil leak. When I checked the oil level it seems to be fine. Can anyone please help me figure out what’s could be wrong with the car and how much it will cost to fix it? Thanx
Old 05-12-04, 04:06 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. Stop driving it
2. Call the dealer and ask what the problem might be then check what they tell you (sometimes you have to trick them into telling you what the problem might be)
3.Don't take it to the dealer for service unless you want to pay out the ****
Old 06-02-04, 04:29 AM
bedanutz
Driver School Candidate

Post I have a similar problem

I also have a 1992 ES 300 with 125k miles on it. Last summer I started noticing smoke coming from the tail pipe, it usually only burns for like 20 seconds, still its nerve racking, Ive had the es for a couple of years, I love the car, its in great shape, and drives great, last week when i turned on the A/C I got the same smell while cruisin on the highway.
Last year I had some regular maintenance done on the car and my mechanic told me I had a minor oil leak from the rear valve cover gasket, and he also told me that it was a problem, but not anything to lose my head over, that I've got plenty of time before it turns serious. That was before I noticed the smoke.
Anyhow, I spoke to my buddy about it (he specializes in Toyota and Lexus), and he said it could have something to do with the valve cover gasket, you might wanna check that out, he says its about a $300 dollar job.
Old 06-02-04, 11:14 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

I think the majority of the votes will go to the rear main seal.

They blow like every 30K-90K on Camry engines with bad luck.
When it happens there is a very slow drip of oil onto the exhaust manifold. It's not hot enough to outright catch the oil on fire, but pleanty to make it burn off slowly causing the smell.
Old 06-03-04, 02:28 PM
bedanutz
Driver School Candidate

Question thanx toysrme

thanx for the advice brotha', Ive blown a rear main seal on another car, but never got around to fixing it, it never caused any major problems, but I love my Lex', and im gonna get another one this year (newer), I plan to stay with the es I have now, its a great running car, and "she sure is purty" , but i dont want any future problems with it, and I like to maintain it. I know the seals themselves arent expensive, but how much do you think the job will cost?, I know it wont be cheap, but if youve ever had it done or know more or less how much it will cost to fix, i would appreciate yoou letting me know, my guess is $800-1400, but again, as honest as I may think my mechanic is, when these guys see what your driving they like to take advantage (not that I let them). Anyhow rear main seal, good to know, thanx again, and please let me know what u think.
Old 06-17-04, 11:49 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Here's the essential question! "Is my rear main seal leaking, or is my PCV valve shot, causing my rear main seal to leak".
You *could* use this as an excuse to detail the entire engine. Then find what oraface the oil is comming from.

Hoover Toyota in B'ham seems to be pretty cheap around this forum for $725 on a ream main seal. Keep in mind they do have to drop the tranny to do it so heh... I have a buddy tech @ Limbaugh Toyota. They charge $60/h for labor. If you live in the B'ham area, I'd start with Limbaugh & then try Hoover. btw, from what my friend tells me, Limbaugh has some really great techs there.

Just take it to a mechanic you trust, or go to a Toyota dealer.
$4 Camry oil filter costs $31 from a Lexus dealer. AND IT STILL SAYS CAMRY FILTER on the outside LoL! (just an example for you)

btw, despite what some people have been told. All new car Toyota dealers are required to service Lexus. Same for every other automaker.

Last edited by Toysrme; 06-17-04 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-18-04, 05:15 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by Toysrme

btw, despite what some people have been told. All new car Toyota dealers are required to service Lexus. Same for every other automaker.
That's not true. If there's a Lexus Service Dept on the same property, you cannot bring your Lexus to the Toyota side. Now if the Toyota and Lexus dealer were seperate of each other and not close by, then you can take it in.
Old 07-02-04, 09:06 PM
hoolcat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put it this way I worked for Lexus of Manchester in NH In the back with all the service guys from Toyota and Lexus. (Lexus and Toyota are in the same bilding at the location) They don't let the Toyota guys touch the a Lexus. There are tests you have to take to be a service tech of Lexus. I bought my firtst ES from them and they didn't even let a Toyota guy give my car a state inspection. They are very serious about that stuff too. I seen two Toyota techs get fired for PDI-ing new Lexuses and and putting them on the lot with out being certified. Now if its just a toyota dealership than i guess they can do whatever they want. Put it this way there are things about a ES300 that a Lexus tech would know that a Toyota Tech who works on camerys would not.
Old 07-03-04, 01:09 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally posted by hoolcat
Put it this way there are things about a ES300 that a Lexus tech would know that a Toyota Tech who works on camerys would not.
Well see it all depends on what dealership you are at. All Toyota mechanics here in California are usually ASE certified meaning they can work on any type of vehicle other than Toyota obviously. I think alof the statements are based on opinion because mechanically there is nothing DIFFERENT that an ES300 or Camry V6 model has other than a different exterior and interior. Chassis and powertrain-wise, the cars are IDENTICAL. I'm sure you wouldn't know what a Camry V6 is like to an ES300/Windom since you did mispell Camry with Camery