ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Joining the tint club..

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-04, 07:05 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile Joining the tint club..

Most of you may have noticed some of the "minor" modifications I've done to my '01 ES, including PIAA lighting, wood trim, and debadging the 'LEXUS' rear emblem. Hence, I have kept a relatively stock looking appearance to the car.

Not anymore... I took the plunge yesterday and got tint installed on all 4 windows (35% smoke), and the rear windshield (20% smoke). All I can say is, it looks great, matches the body color, and serves as a functional benefit of helping keep the car cool inside. Granted, I was a bit hesitant about putting tint in since I was worried of not being able to see well, but this isn't that much different than before.

The price was excellent, $159 plus tax, and lifetime warranty (for any fading, bubbling, cracking, etc.) The shop that did the tint is one of the highly regarded around CT, and I hope to get others to check them out as to give them more business

Here's what my car looked like before the tint.
Attached Thumbnails Joining the tint club..-rear-right-angle.jpg  
Old 06-26-04, 07:07 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

After pics of the tint, in the shop.

Old 06-26-04, 07:11 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Time to roll out from the shop

Another pic of my tinted ES.

Here's my inspiration... a random ES with 5% tint

Old 06-26-04, 07:11 AM
MRLEXUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice tint man now

THEY CAN'T SEE YOU!!!!
(lol)
Old 06-26-04, 07:17 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

That's it for the pics guys. Hope I inspire any of you to do the tint (legally hehe)
Old 06-26-04, 09:55 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

aaawwwhhhh crap, Doug! Now I gotta do it.

just kidding. Doug, it looks totally awesome.

I think you just put me over the edge to go and do it.
steviej

ps. when'd you get the pinstipes. I don't remember seeing them before on your car.
Old 06-26-04, 10:11 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, man, I can not drive a car without tinted windows. When I got my car, I put my wheels on for a couple weeks and drove around without tint. I felt like a fish in a fishbowl, the whole world just looking at me! LOL

Now I can hide a little bit! Car looks good, you are on your way.
Old 06-26-04, 02:41 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

Nice With the new formulations available it makes driving the car in the summer months so much nicer.

A nice thing about your tint shop is you have a pub next door...way cool!
Old 06-26-04, 02:46 PM
lexsterES
Pole Position

looks very nice lexusk8, props on your newest mod. The pics look very good, it makes the es look so much cleaner and cooler under the hot summer sun! enjoy.
..hum.. 35 and 20% you say...
Old 06-26-04, 04:15 PM
Burnout86
Driver

looking good. tint changes the whole appearance of any car (except red cars). my back windshield is 15%, rears are 2.5%, and front 10%. but im redoing 10% all around to have one solid shade.
Old 06-26-04, 07:30 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Your car is looking really good Doug
Old 06-26-04, 08:43 PM
gmac1337
Driver

Wow ur tint looks great man. After seeing 35% i think its plenty dark for my needs. I dont want to draw too much attention from the cops since they are a pain with tint laws in jersey. Great lookin car there man!

Last edited by gmac1337; 06-26-04 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-26-04, 08:46 PM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

looks good dude
hey we have the same tint 35% on sides 20 on the back windshield

EL GATO
Old 06-27-04, 08:44 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks everyone for the compliments All of my friends here in CT so far really liked the way the tint makes a big difference in the look of the ES. Like DGOT20s has mentioned, my car is on its way, slowly but surely

steviej: I know you mentioned before that you're thinking of doing the tint on your '02 ES, and I hope I convinced you enough to do it It will look good on your silver ES, esp. with the spoiler and Enkeis. The painted pinstriping came with the ES when I bought it last year.

I chose the 35%/20% tint package because that is within the CT state legal limit, and it enhances the darkened appearance all around the car without looking too dark. I got the recommendation from DGOT20s and Stefwilli, who have the tints on their GS and ES respectively. It's also wise to shop around and get quotes from various tint shops as they are all priced differently and use different kinds of tint films. Gather testimonials from others who had tint installed at the shops, and use your best judgement.

Overall I'm very happy with the new tint
Old 06-27-04, 11:44 AM
mcv30
Driver

Originally posted by lexusk8
Thanks everyone for the compliments All of my friends here in CT so far really liked the way the tint makes a big difference in the look of the ES. Like DGOT20s has mentioned, my car is on its way, slowly but surely

steviej: I know you mentioned before that you're thinking of doing the tint on your '02 ES, and I hope I convinced you enough to do it It will look good on your silver ES, esp. with the spoiler and Enkeis. The painted pinstriping came with the ES when I bought it last year.

I chose the 35%/20% tint package because that is within the CT state legal limit, and it enhances the darkened appearance all around the car without looking too dark. I got the recommendation from DGOT20s and Stefwilli, who have the tints on their GS and ES respectively. It's also wise to shop around and get quotes from various tint shops as they are all priced differently and use different kinds of tint films. Gather testimonials from others who had tint installed at the shops, and use your best judgement.

Overall I'm very happy with the new tint
Lexusk8:
Awesome tint job on your car by the way, I just wish I've known this sooner and before I got a tint job. Since I've basically probably the most person that spent money on a tint job; approximately $500 and haven't got a lot started on my car . But that's basically because stupid shops installation, and me being picky seeing little bubbles, or little fade, or different tone etc. especially on a less than 1 year old car. Basically with me it all starting with limo in the back window, and the back two sides and 35% in the front sides, then I couldn't see in the back so I had 20% mirror which looked ugly green, then finally took two times to replace cause of poor installation of unclean job and little bubble shown, then 5% in the front two windows, now finally 20% in the back window with black tint, and now i don't know 20% around or at least probably most likely go with 35% all around for the side window. I think SoCal Celsior put the best words for me to feel better, "you're just trying out different shades of tint." And that kind of made me felt better. If only life was easier when I'm not picky on things... But now I have to replace my rubber seal on the windows or weatherstrip cause of the stupid shops that cut it and cutting my roof mat near my defroster, which is more $ out of my pocket.

Last edited by 1mz-fe; 06-27-04 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Joining the tint club..