ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Instrument Cluster/Odometer Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-04, 06:24 PM
allkingz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster/Odometer Swap?

I did a search using "needles," "cluster swap," and "odometer" but still couldn't find a definite answer.

I'm looking to purchase a 94 ES300 and the speedometer needle illumination is out. I would like to swap it out with a new cluster, but I've read that the odometer will need to be recalibrated somehow. Can the DIY'er recalibrate the odometer on the new cluster or is this something that only a Lexus technician can do?

Or can the instrument cluster be disassembled in a way that the odometer can be transferred from the bad cluster to the good one?
Old 07-01-04, 07:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: Instrument Cluster/Odometer Swap?

Originally posted by allkingz
I did a search using "needles," "cluster swap," and "odometer" but still couldn't find a definite answer.

I'm looking to purchase a 94 ES300 and the speedometer needle illumination is out. I would like to swap it out with a new cluster, but I've read that the odometer will need to be recalibrated somehow. Can the DIY'er recalibrate the odometer on the new cluster or is this something that only a Lexus technician can do?

Or can the instrument cluster be disassembled in a way that the odometer can be transferred from the bad cluster to the good one?
I've had a few friends attempt to change their older speedo needles on their own, but calibration was a huge problem. I would suggest contacting OLT aka Lextech Lighting systems for assistance or questions. He is preferred CL vendor:

http://www.lextech.org/

Going to a Lexus service or parts dept would be too costly and definitely make it not worth it's while.

Last edited by flipside909; 07-01-04 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-01-04, 08:27 PM
allkingz
Driver School Candidate

I'm not interested in swapping the needles myself. However, I am interested in finding out what is involved with calibrating the odometer of a new instrument cluster. I couldn't find any info on what is required do this. Is this something that is done with a scan tool that plugs into the ECU or diagnostic port or is this done another way?

Or, can the instrument cluster be disassembled in a way that the odometer from the old cluster be swapped into the new cluster?

Like I said, I'm looking to buy an ES300 and I don't have one or have one available to pull the instrument cluster to see if this is a possibility. Otherwise, I'll contact OLT.
Old 07-01-04, 08:47 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm not interested in swapping the needles myself. However, I am interested in finding out what is involved with calibrating the odometer of a new instrument cluster. I couldn't find any info on what is required do this. Is this something that is done with a scan tool that plugs into the ECU or diagnostic port or is this done another way?

Or, can the instrument cluster be disassembled in a way that the odometer from the old cluster be swapped into the new cluster?

Like I said, I'm looking to buy an ES300 and I don't have one or have one available to pull the instrument cluster to see if this is a possibility. Otherwise, I'll contact OLT.
Yeah i'm not totally familiar with opening up the guage cluster but I do recall those needle lighting works off of a vacuum. OLT would be the one to consult for questions. Perhaps he can chime in on this.
Old 07-03-04, 01:58 PM
mnm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Instrument Cluster/Odometer Swap?

I just swapped out my cluster (96 ES) with an E-Bay special. It was advertised that "you can swap out your odometer and retain your mileage". Not true for me, unless there is some "magic" I'm not aware of, I had to basically use my original main circuit board and I used the newer character plate with the good needles to keep my true mileage. It really is not that difficult to do, just be careful with the flat ribbon cables (3 ea) that hook up to the main board and make sure you eliminate any static charge before you handle the cluster.
Old 07-03-04, 08:18 PM
allkingz
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Instrument Cluster/Odometer Swap?

Originally posted by mnm
I just swapped out my cluster (96 ES) with an E-Bay special. It was advertised that "you can swap out your odometer and retain your mileage". Not true for me, unless there is some "magic" I'm not aware of, I had to basically use my original main circuit board and I used the newer character plate with the good needles to keep my true mileage. It really is not that difficult to do, just be careful with the flat ribbon cables (3 ea) that hook up to the main board and make sure you eliminate any static charge before you handle the cluster.
Thanks for the info.

When you disassembled the cluster to use the original circuit board with the newer character plate, did you have to remove the needles?
Old 07-06-04, 04:27 AM
mnm
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: Instrument Cluster/Odometer Swap?

Thanks for the info.

When you disassembled the cluster to use the original circuit board with the newer character plate, did you have to remove the needles?

NO. Swapped out the plate with the needles attached. I'm not sure if I could get the needles off without destroying them. Years of heat cause them to get brittle and I would think that they would just break apart if much pressure is applied in trying to remove them.
Old 07-07-04, 07:23 PM
allkingz
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Instrument Cluster/Odometer Swap?

Originally posted by mnm
NO. Swapped out the plate with the needles attached. I'm not sure if I could get the needles off without destroying them. Years of heat cause them to get brittle and I would think that they would just break apart if much pressure is applied in trying to remove them.
Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-07-04, 10:11 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah the needles do get kind of brittle so you do gotta be careful with them. Like installing inglo guages, you really gotta becareful with the needles and like someone said earlier, the little interface bands. they're thin and sometimes if you bend them too hard, you can leave creases in them. Good luck.