ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Im think BLOWER!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 09:35 AM
Lexus96
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Im think BLOWER!

Hey i was thinkin the other day that wat if i were to put a blower in my car. i have a 96 V6. i plan on actually doin this because it would be a one of a kind thing. but if u read this just dont read it post because i want opinions about this project that i might do.
Old 07-06-04, 10:34 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

blower or no blower, you're never going to be fast. I dont think i'd go blow a couple grand to gain 80 horses. If you want quick horsepower, get nitrous. If you go back and read the previous threads, many people have problems finding the right ECU that will comply with the 1MZ+TRD supercharger. They've got problems because there were no superchargers specifically made for the ES3 of any year it was ever made. That TRD SC was made to suit Solara's and Camry's. Have a nice day.

edited and inappropriate comments removed. Woogie, please do not continue this attitude and rudeness towards members of our forum or your access will be removed. You can PM me if you have questions about what was wrong about your post. davegs4

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-06-04 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 11:35 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Woogie, how's the BOV coming along?

Supercharging your car would be entirely too much work for the gains you would recieve, if you got it working. Sell your car and buy a new one. Or invest lots of money in engine work and have your car decently quick. Nitrous will help too. There have been MANY MANY MANY MANY posts of first time ES owners jumping on here and saying they are going to custom turbo or supercharge, then saying they are different from others because they will really do it.... it still hasn't happened. Only one turbo ES i know of, and he is anzchild's friend. Don't turbo or supercharge your es3, just drive it.
Old 07-06-04, 12:58 PM
TCwindom
Pole Position

I agree... even if you do it... you're still not going to beat much.

That's why i'm going all show, and not waisting my time on F/I

You'll end up breaking more stuff than you can imagine
Old 07-06-04, 01:24 PM
Lexus96
Driver School Candidate

but the thing is that the blower is much more powerful than a S/C and i plan to bore out the engine because the 1mz can take 350 hp. go to toyotanation.com and search for Tony the Tiger and u will know what im talkin about.
Old 07-06-04, 01:29 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Blue Print, Bore, Stroke all you want. All you're gunna do is mess it up. Even if you did all that, you wouldn't even be able to find an ECU for it. This isn't a dual four barrell carb driven muscle car where you can just do whatever you want an tune the carb. This is a fuel injected computer managed car.
Old 07-06-04, 03:40 PM
hoolcat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold up one sec! You can sit there and shoot down this idea... sure... But you then go and make the guy feel stupid buy typecasting him then telling him ge can't write and stuff. (I read the post before it was removed) Whats that all about? thats about as lame as it gets. forums should be fun and you should be able to get the info your looking for off them. Not some dude telling you what you are when he's never even met you! . LAME!!!!

Props to Club Lexus for taking that part out of his post.

Before you think about doing this. What kind of supercharger were you thining about? A roots or centrifugal style supercharger. I agree with most of the members it will be a ton of work and you will have a lot of problems. some big and some small. Now if you have a guy or know one who builds them than thats differant. To say it can't be done is wrong. You can supercharge a shopping cart if you want to! I know a guy at Bike shop (motor) that builds custom superchargers for cars on the side. HE tells me all the time that he can supercharge my car for 6K with labor and parts. Thats tons of cash$$$$$$$$. I'm not that good at math but like 40% of 188hp is like 80ish more HP. That would have cost me $75 per HP. WOW thats crazy you could just go buy a 95 Z28 camaro for like 6K and have a lot of fun tooling on that car. Rather than be the fastest ES300 a Honda civic has ever seen. Hay go for yours I would love to see it!and so would all the other Lexus owners even the GS and SC guys too!
Old 07-06-04, 04:05 PM
Lexus96
Driver School Candidate

thats the reason im mainly doing it. i want to be unique and have the power to show it in the end. now if u want to talk about the 1mz engine then u need to talk to tony the tiger on toyotanation.com because he is shooting for 700hp on that engine. and im curtain that i could come up wit a new ECU. yeah it will be a lot of work but after im done and have been successful i would feel pretty good about it. because im one-of-a-kind. not just some ricer or sum showy pimp that u see everyday. thats my whole belief on it and i do have somebody that could custom make me a few things when i need them. thanks for the reply's and i hope i get more after.
Old 07-06-04, 04:18 PM
MarkE
Driver School Candidate

Default Only 1 Turbo ES???

Well I'm attempting to add a part from a 1992 Supra Turbo in to my 1992 ES300

Waiting on parts to come in and final measurements so that my friends and I can actually start work in the main components. It's not going to be an optimal setup but hopefully it gives me some positive atmospheric pressure!

I attached a picture what I'm adding to my car and the approximate location inside my car.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Im think BLOWER!-turboplacement.jpg  
Old 07-06-04, 04:39 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

turbos are exhaust driven off the headers or the exhaust manifold, how are you planning to get exhaust from a V6 to fit on a turbo whose piping was orginally done for an inline six cylinder.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Go ahead and supercharge it, its your own money and your own car. All you're gunna do is waste money and eventually ruin your car. An ECU isn't something you can pull out of no where or find at an auto salon, ECU's have to be Written and created. The only way you are going to get away with a supercharger is if you go with a standalone fuel management system.

700 horses out of the engine - Have you considered the tranny one bit yet? 96's only came in automatic. Are you sure the automatics can take that much abuse? unlike a manual, you can't get "stage 4 racing clutches" for them. You're gunna blow out your flex plate and you're going to replace your tranny all the time. Consider the physics before you go and try something on an expensive vehicle.

If you wanted power and still have the option of being able to dropping good money into your car, i'd go for a GS3 or and iS3.
Old 07-06-04, 05:25 PM
MarkE
Driver School Candidate

Default Turbo...

Woogie,

That's what I'm measuring so I can order the right amount of pipe bends and what not. Then comes the cutting and welding. I would be in trouble if I thought I could use Supra up-pipes and down-pipes for my car...
-------------------
As for ECU, a piggy back computer can be used to handle the fuel management with the increase of air from the supercharger or turbo (and usually larger fuel injectors). I'm using an SAFC2 which allows me to compensate 50% +/- with what the air meter (I'm my case a sleeve type meter) reads and allows me to give basic control of how much the fuel injectors spit out.

An auto transmission would be the weakest link. You can get them built up - I believe the turbo 1mz camry with at T66 has a level 4 tranny but I'm not too sure on that. That car is very nice and has nothing untouched. many $$$ in that car
-------------------
All in all, an expensive project for me, but I'm using this as a learning experience and see how boost changes the engine characteristics with regards to handling and just to put a smirk on my face.

I already know I'm gonna want LSD after I get this all done.

Mark
Old 07-06-04, 05:51 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Sound like a very interesting turbo project then, i do have to say that i am very impressed. However, i dont think a direct bolt would be safe for the 1MZ in the long run. You should probably look into getting low compression pistons. I read somewhere that the 1MZ's are pretty vulnerable to busted head gaskets which in same cases can crack the head. As the head cracks, you can't just replace the head with a brand new head. New head + used block wont work too well together. Something is bound to blow.

-------------------------------------

Granted that automatic transmissions can be beefed up with converters, and plates what have you, as you've mentioned, it'll cost anybody a whole lotta money to get a real nice well built racing transaxle. Making the eS3 a quick car isn't like making a civic a fast car. hondas are very "universal" meaning you've got a whole lotta choices as far as an engine or transmission or any kind of engine combinations. Throw an LS VTEC engine onto a lightened civic with a little bit of money on a turbo and you can hit 12's in no time.

--------------------------------------

1MZ i dont think was meant for such abuse and high horse power applications. i mean look at the cars that it was put in. they're all entry level luxary cars. Even the solara isn't that sporty. personally, im not a big fan of slapping forced induction onto an engine that wasn't meant for it. The head, the block, the pistons, everything wasn't made to withstand all that pressure and all that heat and abuse.
Old 07-06-04, 05:55 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Woogie
turbos are exhaust driven off the headers or the exhaust manifold, how are you planning to get exhaust from a V6 to fit on a turbo whose piping was orginally done for an inline six cylinder.
That has nothing to do with the turbo, it has to do with the cars exhaust manifold. A turbo is a turbo, no matter what its from. Custom piping is the key to attatch everything.
Old 07-06-04, 05:56 PM
LexFather

Well everyone we all got to start somewhere. True some platforms are better starting points for
Old 07-06-04, 06:40 PM
hoolcat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is NO WAY a 1992 ES300 will have 700 hp. maybe on Monster Garage There isn't any part of that car that could handle that much power you would need new everthing and they just don't make that stuff for this car. It would snap all sorts of parts. when your done you can searve your 4 speed w/ overdrive for Thanksgiving dinner because it would be cooked! The are goign to run this "700 hp" 1992 ES300 on pump fule? this post has gotten way out of line. Think of it a "700hp" ES300 you want tons of real power buy a NIssan Skyline R34

Quick Reply: Im think BLOWER!