ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Brakes Squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 04:59 PM
electro992
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brakes Squeaking

My 96 has an annoying brake squeak problem at low speeds. When driving around in parking lots, or other slower areas, I can hear my brakes sqeak every time i press the pedal. It is worse when the car is cold, i.e. has not been driven for a while. After driving for a while, the noise is less, but is still there right before the car comes to a stop. Also, when I start up the car and back it out of the garage, I can hear a kind of grinding noise as i lightly engage the brakes to back the car up slowly. This also only happens when the car is cold. None of our other cars behave like this. The dealer checked the pads and they are in almost new condition. I''m not sure if they checked rotors or anything else though. Can anyone diagnose this problem? Thanks.

P.S. - I know I spelled the title wrong but I can't seem to change it...

Last edited by electro992; 07-06-04 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 05:10 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont get the grinding sound, but I get a squeel at times aswell.. I get the noise at low speeds also, but notice it is mainly after it has been raining?

Chris
Old 07-06-04, 05:17 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the brake pads are new and the squeak and squeal then that means that the brake pads that are put on there are probably "econo-pads"... the really cheap stuff. The cheap pads last longer but they are noisy as heck. To get rid of the problem, look into getting some better brake pads, yeah they wear faster, but they are a lot quieter. As for the cold squeals, a lot of cars do that. Again, it's all in the brakes. The pads aren't warm yet so it's still pretty hard.
Old 07-06-04, 06:32 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

woogie said it best. If the brake pads are "almost new", where did you have it done or what kind of pads did you put on. Most likey you have metallic pads, and they will squeal alot but they last along time. When your brakes squeal and you are not touching the pedal, that's trouble time. Solution, turn up the stereo or replace the pads with Toyota OEM pads.

As for the grinding sound when you first pull out of the garage....again, that is normal. Matallic pads will leave a "metal" dust on the rotors. The rotors are also metal. The surface is prone to oxidation especially in moist or humid weather. When you apply the brakes for the first time after a long non-use period, the pads wear off the surface oxidation and a "grinding" sound can be heard.

Next morning you go out to your car, peek at the rotors and see if they are slightly rust colored on the surface where the pads touch.

steviej
Old 07-06-04, 09:53 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

wow, couldn't put it better myself, steve. He's right. Oxidation - your rotors are made out of steel and steel is an alloy which means it is composed of many metals. Iron is one of the components in making steel and when iron is mixed with water or "moisture" as steve puts it, you get iron oxide, which is basically rust. As for your current brake situation, spend a bit of money on getting your brake pads replaced with some OEM pads or if you want, you can spend some money on some quieter pads. but the rule of thumb is, the quieter they are, the more they wear.
Old 07-06-04, 11:24 PM
AusLex300
Lead Lap

Stevie got it right, I just turn the stereo up!

I dont worry too much about little creaks and squeels.. In my case, its an 8y.o car, so it happens when anything gets a little older.. Its only if I put my foot on the brake and I dont stop, is when I will start to worry a little....

Chris
Old 07-06-04, 11:27 PM
ES Boy
Lead Lap

I got new brakes and rotors in the rear and they squeak like there is no tomorrow. It was really annoying at first, but I'm pretty used to it now. When I push down harder on the brake, it doesn't squeak as much. I'll occassionally get some squeaking when I'm not even pushing the brake at all, most of the time at about 40mph.
Old 07-07-04, 12:04 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

lol that's not good there buddy. Your brakes aren't supposed to make noises if you dont touch the pedal. Getting new calipers will definately solve the problem. Either that or there's something wrong with your parking brake cable. If your pads are rubbing with your rotors all the time while you're driving then you're going to end up glazing all over your rotors and have to get them replaced.
Old 07-07-04, 08:33 AM
electro992
Driver

Thanks for all the replies guys. However, I do believe that the pads are Toyota OEM. Is there something else that could cause this?
Old 07-07-04, 12:42 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

I think glazed rotors could cause that problem for you, check me on that because im not completely positive. Glazing - When you're on the brakes too much whether it be going down a hill or just plain rough driving, your brake pads get extremely hot. So hot, that the adhesives taht keep your brake pads onto the calipers begin to seep through the braking material and they end up on the rotor.
Old 07-07-04, 07:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally posted by electro992
Thanks for all the replies guys. However, I do believe that the pads are Toyota OEM. Is there something else that could cause this?
Did you make sure to install the anti shims?
Old 07-07-04, 09:23 PM
electro992
Driver

I have no idea, all service to the car has been done by the dealer. Is there a way I could check for this myself?
Old 07-07-04, 10:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Anti shims always come with Genuine Toyota brake pads. They're attatched to the steel backing plate.
Old 07-08-04, 11:45 AM
hoolcat
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I maybe wrong, But any noise from you brakes is bad. However it is common for pads to make some noise when they are brand new. This noise should not last more than a few 100 miles at the most! This means that the shop (or you) that did your brakes did not take off the protective coating on your rotors. In other words they didn't spray the rotor with brake cleaner.

IF brakes make a squeeking sound its most likely your ware indicator on your brake pad that is made to make noise ( at low speed so you can hear it) when the pad gets low. This is to remind you to get your brakes checked out.

IF your gettign a grinding sound you have warn out your brake pad in an area. As time goes on the scoring on your rotor will get bigger and the rest of the pad wears away. You want to get this fixed ASAP so you don't state waring into your caliper.
Old 07-08-04, 07:11 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by hoolcat
IF brakes make a squeeking sound its most likely your ware indicator on your brake pad that is made to make noise ( at low speed so you can hear it) when the pad gets low. This is to remind you to get your brakes checked out.

IF your gettign a grinding sound you have warn out your brake pad in an area. As time goes on the scoring on your rotor will get bigger and the rest of the pad wears away. You want to get this fixed ASAP so you don't state waring into your caliper.

hoolcat,
he said he just had new pads put on, so it shouldn't be the brake wear indicator.
The grinding only happens first morning, so it is most likely the removal of surface oxidation during the first application of the brakes.

electro992, maybe applicational of some addition "brake quiet" may stop what squeal you have. Squeal is noise and noise is vibration. If the brake shims are in place, maybe something extra is needed to stop the brake squeal when you have minimal pressure on the pedal. You said it yourself that more pressure on the pedal eliminates the squeal. I'm guessing you got excessive vibration in you pads.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 07-09-04 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Brakes Squeaking