ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Clunking noise while releasing brake pedal on ES330

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-04, 07:49 PM
wijacket
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clunking noise while releasing brake pedal on ES330

Hi all,

Just bought an ES330 a couple of weeks ago and everything was great except for one nuisance: the front brakes sometimes make a clunking noise when I release the brake pedal to pull forward. This happens more often when the car stops then starts on a downhill slope. We noticed this problem when taking delivery of the car but the dealer's service manager said this was normal because the front brake pads were bigger than the rear ones. Has anybody experienced similar problems? Just wanted get your comments before taking the car to get the 1000 mile check up. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-04, 09:40 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This clunking noise is definitely not normal! I think the service manager is giving you the run around. Just because he's a manager does not mean he know's it all. In the past I've gotten some mis-information from service managers. I think his attitude is: maybe this noise will go away by the time that your car reaches 1000 miles. Ask him to show you the noise on another ES330 and if he can't, then I'd insist that it be corrected on your car, otherwise you will call Lexus support. They don't want you to call Lexus, 'cause it doesn't look good for your dealership.
Old 07-20-04, 09:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: Clunking noise while releasing brake pedal on ES330

Originally posted by wijacket
Hi all,

Just bought an ES330 a couple of weeks ago and everything was great except for one nuisance: the front brakes sometimes make a clunking noise when I release the brake pedal to pull forward. This happens more often when the car stops then starts on a downhill slope. We noticed this problem when taking delivery of the car but the dealer's service manager said this was normal because the front brake pads were bigger than the rear ones. Has anybody experienced similar problems? Just wanted get your comments before taking the car to get the 1000 mile check up. Thanks in advance!
Explain the noise. Is it a "CLACK" sound when you first apply the brakes going into a stop? If so, this noise is the pads shifting in the caliper. A Toyota/Lexus design flaw starting from the 92 Camry and current platform mates and other platforms.
Old 07-20-04, 10:07 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I have driven many Lexus automobiles(ES, LS, RX, LX, SC, etc), from 1990 to the present and I have NEVER heard this, "design flaw" in any of them, nor have I ever heard of anybody having this type of problem.
Old 07-20-04, 10:13 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by amf1932
I have driven many Lexus automobiles(ES, LS, RX, LX, SC, etc), from 1990 to the present and I have NEVER heard this, "design flaw" in any of them, nor have I ever heard of anybody having this type of problem.
You haven't been around them long enough then. Most people know abou this known sound. just do a search on it and you will see what i mean. I've discussed this before in the past.
Old 07-20-04, 10:37 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I have driven over 50 types of Lexus vehicles since 1990 and I have NEVER heard or felt this type of brake problem in any of them, so I feel that this isolated incident shouldn't be considered a "design flaw". I guess that the Lexus company feels the same way, since they never made any basic changes to the braking system. Also, what do you consider, "long enough"? Fourteen years of driving Lexus's gives me some sort of awareness about these beasts....wouldn't you say?
P.S. There are no TSB's issued for this type of brake noise on '02-'04 ES models, so once again I feel that this is not a normal noise, especially on a brand new car.

Last edited by amf1932; 07-21-04 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 06:45 AM
wijacket
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all that replied. Just wanted to clarify the problem a little: the noise only comes when I let go the brake pedal and start moving from a stop. When the car is moving I don't hear any noise while applying the brake to stop. Thanks again!
Old 07-21-04, 10:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I have driven over 50 types of Lexus vehicles since 1990 and I have NEVER heard or felt this type of brake problem in any of them, so I feel that this isolated incident shouldn't be considered a "design flaw". I guess that the Lexus company feels the same way, since they never made any basic changes to the braking system. Also, what do you consider, "long enough"? Fourteen years of driving Lexus's gives me some sort of awareness about these beasts....wouldn't you say?
P.S. There are no TSB's issued for this type of brake noise on '02-'04 ES models, so once again I feel that this is not a normal noise, especially on a brand new car.
Flip is correct. This is a common Toyota / Lexus condition. I, too, have posted this subject many times. It usually does not appear in brand-new cars......not until a few thousand miles. It not only affects Camry-based products but some other Toyota designs as well....I have seen and heard it on Tercels, Celicas, and my own IS300. Have you driven mostly new (or almost new) cars for the last 14 years?....That may explain your never having heard it. It usually is not very loud, either ...if you have the radio turned up or the A/C fan going you probably won't hear it.
Old 07-21-04, 10:28 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

That was my whole point.....we're dealing with a brand new car, not a car that has many miles. I'm certainly aware of the many problems that braking systems can be plagued with whether they be on domestic or imported vehicles since I was a service manager myself( years ago) for Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Studebaker, and Honda. The Lexus's that I drove were fairly new....loaners, rented or friends cars, and I was definitely attuned to any strange noises in the operation of these cars.
P.S. Read wijacket's description of his problem......it's not the same as the "many" listed problems in the past! It sounds like one of the calipers is not releasing properly.

Last edited by amf1932; 07-21-04 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-21-04, 03:51 PM
Burnout86
Driver

Arrow

check your control arm bushings dude. im pretty sure its that, becus mine car used to do that too.
if you really want to make sure its your bushings tho, get another person with you and a lug nut wrench.
now put the wrench over a lug nut and start torqing like your taking off a nut but really what you want to do is make the tire/car rock back forth and get the other person to look under/around the fender well for moving suspension parts (most likely the control arm moving....worn out bushings)
sorry if this explaination sounds confusing, i just got off work.
Old 07-21-04, 08:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I was a service manager myself( years ago)
I don't envy you in that department.
Old 07-21-04, 08:22 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Well you may have driven for a short period of time doesn't equate to long term ownership and such. I've owned a Corolla, Avalon, Solara and IS300 in my own possession, worked on and driven various years of Camrys (Gen1 to current Gen5.5, Solaras, and etc) and have heard this same brake characteristic. Perhaps you haven't experienced it since you probably don't know the symptom i'm talking about. Mmarshall knows that exact sound i'm talking about. Ask any Lexus or Toyota certified Tech not a service writer or desk manager. They know about it.
Old 07-21-04, 09:54 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Last summer I had a similar noise to what you describe. It was actually present for about 4 months. It was a clunk/thud noise that occured when I backed up and then stopped to reverse direction or when I came to a stop while turning into a parking spot or the driveway. Funny part is that it only came from the right front tire area. Never from the left. Several attempt were made by the dealer to locate the noise. Each time they said it was normal "free floating brake pad noise". I didn't buy it because the noise had not been there for 25,000 miles and all of a sudden it appears and is normal. I must add, why only the right and not the left "free floating brake pads" One day, frustrated, I was shaking the tires to see if it was hub or lug nut related and I was able to create the noise in my driveway. I left the car with a detailed explanation of what I had done to recreate the noise with the car standing still.

I got a call in the afternoon and it was in fact not "free floating brake pad" noise. Something had broken in the right front strut assembly. When asked, the service guy stated they have seen several of these broken struts.

The strut asssembly was replaced and I have never heard the clunk noise again. And I still have free floating brake pads.

PM me and I will send you the letter/write up of what I did.

steviej
Old 07-27-04, 08:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Apparantly in your case it was a strut, but not all Toyota/ Lexus products have struts per-se. The IS300, for instance, has a Honda-type double-wishbone front end...but still gets that clack noise from the brakes.
Guess each car has to be dealt with individually.
Old 07-27-04, 04:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by mmarshall
Apparantly in your case it was a strut, but not all Toyota/ Lexus products have struts per-se. The IS300, for instance, has a Honda-type double-wishbone front end...but still gets that clack noise from the brakes.
Guess each car has to be dealt with individually.
yeah in the case of the IS, it uses shocks for the double wishbone suspension.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise while releasing brake pedal on ES330