ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2001 ES300 Interior Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 07:37 AM
nicksan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 ES300 Interior Noise.

Been trying to get some help...

Recenlty purchased 2001 ES300 has som interior creaks/rattles when going over bumps, etc.

-Ashtray area
-Driver side rear window plastics.
-Plastic around the gear shift makes some creaking sound when car is braking...

Any of you guys experience this?

I've test driven several of these cars (with colors I didn't like...hence didn't buy) and I don't remember hearing these rattles/creaks...

I expect some noise, but not types that would get on my nerves...I mean I would expect that from a Honda Civic, but not a Lexus ES300.

I was soooooooo looking forward to the isolated cabin experience.

Please help!!!
Old 08-11-04, 08:26 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

In my '01 ES, I also get a minor creak/rattle along the top of the dashboard. If I press hard on the dashboard, the creak stops. Sometimes I get a strange rattle on the passenger side when someone sits in the passenger seat and the car sits idle at a stop light, etc. Other than that, I don't get rattles or creaks at the ashtray area, the rear driver's side window or the gear shifter trim.

I think it's a known fact that almost every ES is not entirely quiet in the cabin due to these minor creaks and rattles, but the interior noise factor is far better than inside a Honda Civic, so we should be thankful for what we have
Old 08-11-04, 06:17 PM
nicksan
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Yes, I expect some noise.
No problem...and my ES does make other sounds.

But I think the pretty loude rattle by the ashtray and the CONSTANT creaking of the rear window area isn't normal or desireable.

If I can get rid of those noise, I can totally tolerate everything else!
Old 08-11-04, 07:42 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

i used to have a 00' es and i did realize some rattles, but most of them were from the sunroof. it like cracks sometimes. and i still notice that in my rx. i have also noticed while i had that vehicle that my passenger front window had like a air leak. i took it to get fixed, but i still heard the air coming through
Old 08-11-04, 08:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: 2001 ES300 Interior Noise.

Originally posted by nicksan

I was soooooooo looking forward to the isolated cabin experience.

Please help!!!
Did you test drive this car before you bought it? You have to remember, because of your leather interior, that creates a nice sound resonance chamber for creaks and rattles. I bet the creaks and rattles are nothing of a Honda Civic of the same year.
Old 08-12-04, 09:05 AM
nicksan
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I test drove it of course!
I did notice some creakes (plastic sound) but didn't bother me too much.
Also, there weren't any huge pot holes and bumps to test it out.
I live close to NYC and we have very bad road conditions but the dealer was out in the 'burbs so...

Anyways, yeah the car is definitely isolated than a civic or even my MDX.

I'm just hoping that the 2 distinct noise can be eliminated...then it would be truly a nice experience.
Old 08-16-04, 09:48 AM
nicksan
Driver School Candidate

I guess the true test for interior noise is driving on NYC roads with pot holes deeper than grand canyon. In fact some of the noise I only get when I go over these pot holes or road bumps.
Regular highway driving I don't hear the ashtray vibrating and rattling.

But the driver side rear door area, I always hear, no matter what the road conditions.

The plastic around the gear shift also...whenever I do sudden stops or accelerating I hear the plastic go "creak...creak...creak"...

I'm trying to be reasonable about the whole thing.
This is my first Lexus, and yes I am very proud that I was able to finally get a Lexus vehicle!

Man, if I could just figure out the Ashtray and the rear driver side window noise, I'd have so much fun...my Wife pokes fun at me because she thinks I am paranoid about the noise!

I'm taking it in tomorrow...there is so much stuff they need to take care of aside from what's on the "WE Owe You" form that the sales person gave me.
Old 08-16-04, 10:52 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my Wife pokes fun at me because she thinks I am paranoid about the noise!
All wives or girfriends think we're paranoid about one thing or another and that's what makes them so adorable. LOL

Last edited by amf1932; 08-16-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old 08-16-04, 07:02 PM
gmac1337
Driver

lol my car was rattle free until i hit 5 deep potholes all in a row at 50mph. i couldnt do anythign to avoid them so bam, right after hittign them the ashtray rattle started. turns out that my cigarettle lighter was the problem, the dealer gave me a new one and rattle dissapeared.
Old 08-16-04, 07:16 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by gmac1337
lol my car was rattle free until i hit 5 deep potholes all in a row at 50mph. i couldnt do anythign to avoid them so bam, right after hittign them the ashtray rattle started. turns out that my cigarettle lighter was the problem, the dealer gave me a new one and rattle dissapeared.
That's not good bro You should get your wheel alignment checked out right away, as well as your tire tread.
Old 08-17-04, 07:20 AM
nicksan
Driver School Candidate

Speaking about bad roads....on the way to the service dept. I encountered some construction...except they had no signs...so I was going kinda fast. The road was half-way paved so lane 1 and lane2 were on different planes...and I was switching lanes when this came about.

End result: a bunch of tar/rocks all over my car...seems like I lucked out with the rock chips but man that wasn't fun.

Anyways, I figured out the ashtray sound...like gmac, the lighter was the problem...it was loose...or the part that holds in its slot was going bad so it wasn't holding the lighter snug...so I took the lighter out and no more rattles. Told the service dept about this and they will take a look.

THANK GOODNESS!@#

But get this...as I was messing around with the lighter...nothing much...just trying to put it back into the slot...I saw some kind of electrical spark in the slot...and now my CLOCK doesn't work!

OH *****...

That's OK...I was on my way to the service dept...so I innocently told them that my clock gave in this morning...

Everything else works fine electrically...just the clock...I guess the lighter is connected to it and it shorted the clock out???

Anways...I noticed that passenger side dash near window started to creak this morning...kinda chilly today so maybe it's affecting the plastic.

But if that and the driver side rear window can be taken care of, it'll be AWESOME!!!

I'm hoping for the best!!!
Old 07-07-06, 10:37 PM
venomous
Driver School Candidate

Default Same issue

Yep sounds exactly like my problem. I just picked up an 02 CPO ES300 and the interior squeaks and creaks over even small bumps. My dad has a 99 ES and his car is WAY quieter than mine (thats saying a lot since hes deployed both airbags once). Im taking it in to have it looked at, hopefully they can do something about it and restore my faith in the Lexus brand.