ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

I did a boo boo

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 08:31 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I did a boo boo

I feel real bad tonight, I had an accident in the ES. My wife talked me into taking her to the mall. I didn't want to go and was upset about it. I should have stood my ground and said no or let her go on her own. Don't know why she needed me to go anyway. Well, I was cut off by a guy. He went from the far right lane all the way to the far left lane to make a u-turn. I slowed to keep from hitting him. He shot me the finger. That's how it is here. People cut you off and they shoot the bird at you. I jammed on the brakes and a lady in a minivan was busy on her cell phone and rear ended me.
The accident wasn't all my fault but if I hadn't jammed on the brakes it probably wouldn't have happened. I am so pissed but happy my wife and I weren't hurt. I learned a lesson...I will never react to the finger again.
Old 08-15-04, 08:42 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Come visit NYC and we'll see how resistant your reactions are to getting the finger. It's a way of life here.

Did you get much damage to your car?

Glad you and the wifey are OK.

Last edited by amf1932; 08-15-04 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-15-04, 09:20 PM
iammikey
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmmm

Sorry for what? That lady behind you should have been paying attention to the road and not her phone. Make sure your insurance knows that!

"The accident wasn't all my fault but if I hadn't jammed on the brakes it probably wouldn't have happened. I am so pissed but happy my wife and I weren't hurt. I learned a lesson...I will never react to the finger again."

Your statement indicates you slammed on your brakes to prevent hitting the guy who cut you off and preventing him from being hit. Then again, it could have been this guy's intent to cause you to get into an accident with that lady in the van. It sounds like an insurance scam in CA.

Besides all that, Feel lucky and happy that it's only a car and it's engineering did what it was supposed to do and prevent death and serious injury to you and your wife. Don't get too mad at your wife as it could have been a lot worse and it wasn't her fault based on your description.
Old 08-16-04, 06:31 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about the "boo boo" reggiek, but never ever declare who's at fault in the accident at the accident scene. Let the insurance and the police handle the situation. Glad to hear you and your wife are OK, and I hope the lady who rear-ended you was OK too. Keep us informed.
Old 08-16-04, 08:58 AM
BigRich
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So how bad is your car?
Old 08-16-04, 10:50 AM
I DOGG
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Ok hot pants,Lets C the pics...
Old 08-16-04, 07:41 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Originally posted by I DOGG
Ok hot pants,Lets C the pics...

I'm slow, where's the hot pants coming from?
I did the thread to get support from my CL brothers and sisters....I don't wanna take pics of it.
Old 08-16-04, 07:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: Re: ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Originally posted by reggiek
I'm slow, where's the hot pants coming from?
I did the thread to get support from my CL brothers and sisters....I don't wanna take pics of it.
Don't mind him. Most of the things he posts on here are pointless. Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully you can get it fixed and back on the road in no time. most important part is you guys were able to walk away from it.
Old 08-16-04, 09:37 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: I did a boo boo

Originally posted by reggiek
IMy wife talked me into taking her to the mall. I didn't want to go and was upset about it. I should have stood my ground and said no or let her go on her own. Don't know why she needed me to go anyway.
Sorry to hear. In retrospect, I think you should be happy that you went. Otherwise, the accident may still have happened (who knows?) and your wife would have had to deal with everything on her own. I realize that she may not have been at the exact place at that exact time and may have reacted differently but sometimes these things don't matter.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that both you and your wife are doing well. The car will be OK in no time.
Old 08-16-04, 10:14 PM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hmmm

Originally posted by iammikey
Sorry for what? That lady behind you should have been paying attention to the road and not her phone. Make sure your insurance knows that!

"The accident wasn't all my fault but if I hadn't jammed on the brakes it probably wouldn't have happened. I am so pissed but happy my wife and I weren't hurt. I learned a lesson...I will never react to the finger again."

Your statement indicates you slammed on your brakes to prevent hitting the guy who cut you off and preventing him from being hit. Then again, it could have been this guy's intent to cause you to get into an accident with that lady in the van. It sounds like an insurance scam in CA.

Besides all that, Feel lucky and happy that it's only a car and it's engineering did what it was supposed to do and prevent death and serious injury to you and your wife. Don't get too mad at your wife as it could have been a lot worse and it wasn't her fault based on your description.
reggiek,
Sorry to hear about what happened. I sure am glad that you and your wife are ok.
I have to agree with iammikey the lady behind you should have been paying attention to the road not her phone.
I always ask my husband to go to the mall with me. He hates it, but he does go. We just went today and traffic was horrible. I had to blow my horn at some guy in a van. He almost hit me cause he came into my lane. He did it to me twice. The first time i slowed down and left him get pretty far ahead of me and then there was a red light and i ended up next to him. When the light changed and i went he started to come over into my lane again and that is when i blew my horn. I had no choice then to blow the horn cause if i didn't then he would have hit me for sure.
Old 08-16-04, 11:08 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

kick his ***, c-bazz.
Old 08-17-04, 09:53 AM
nicksan
Driver School Candidate

Yes, the ever pleasurable trip with the wife to the great place that is the mall.
I too live that nightmare...as I sit there with other husbands/boyfriends watching my life rot away in front of Ann Taylor Loft.

The pleasure of living...

Can't blame yourself for listening to your wife...it's better to sacrifice some time and comply with her wishes rather than dealing with the wrath that will follow if you don't.

Anyways, I do notice that in NY there are more bad drivers than ever...or maybe I'm paying attention more. These crazy people...in Mini-vans thinking they are Jeff Gordon driving in Daytona or something...women with chilren...A-hole in a bimmer..."I'm rich and you ain't" in a Mercedez E class...

I remember driving my Acura on GCP...Mercedez E-class was k*ssing my behind...trying to tempt me into racing him or just being an A-Hole...so I decided to speed up and switch lanes. He must have thought I initiated a start for racing...so he cuts in front of me. He started to tail gate a car in front of him...and we were in the right lane so the car was going slow while he was doing like 100 and I was doing 70...never saw it coming...he suddenly switches lanes and I am presented with a car doing 45 in front of me...slammed on the brakes at the same time checking all mirrors, realized that I was clear so I switched lanes...d*mn near got into a major wreck...my heart was racing.

Lesson learned...stay away from A-Holes looking for a thrill ride...man that guy WANTED to see me get hurt...he didn't care about the safety of me and the person in front of me...I purposely went on the right most lane to avoid this guy...yet he followed and provoked me...

So yeah, sometimes you cannot avoid stupidity...I get the bird all the time from all kinds of people...guys, gals, old folks, youngin's...parents with kids in the back...you name it...we got ghetto 'tude going on in NY!

Good clean fun for the kids...

So I try to avoid the crazies as much as possible...I am just thankful that I was able to avoid a wreck b/c I knew luck had a lot to do with it.

Years ago, I was stopped at the traffic light...car hit me while I was stopped! Guy was a drug addict with a wife and kids in the back...I had a lady friend in the passenger seat...thankfully no one was hurt...but that's just bad luck.

A lot of us fall "victim" to our enviroments...and having lived in NY for over 25 years, I have used the bird more than occasionally...in fact I think I'm ready to take it in for the 25 year service since it's feeling kind of soar from over usage!!! Road rage...it's a way of life...

Good luck on your insurance settlement...hope you get a good deal out of it...maybe your car will come out nice after body work...good as new!
Old 08-17-04, 01:34 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Glad you weren't hurt.

I know exactly how you feel and the attitude of drivers just amaze me. In any normal face to face setting people would respond differently but in a car, they feel they can provoke someone without recourse. Many carry firearms and are itching to prove their superiority if given the opportunity to display it. The belief in what is right does not seem to apply when driving unless you have blue lights and authority.

In 22 years of driving, I've had a handful of bird instances and one get out of the car confrontation. In retrospect, it was stupid of me to react...emotion is hard to control at certain times. It takes one incident to change life as you know it. Unfortunately we cannot pummel sense into some drivers but we can show maturity by being able to walk away and drive another day.

I hate cell phones. I think use of while driving should be There isn't anything that important that a person has drive while talking. If it is, pull off the road and continue the conversation. I can count that in 80% of the times when I'm being tailgated that it is by a driver on a cell phone probably talking trash.
Old 08-17-04, 02:37 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Originally posted by RA40

I hate cell phones. I think use of while driving should be There isn't anything that important that a person has drive while talking. If it is, pull off the road and continue the conversation. I can count that in 80% of the times when I'm being tailgated that it is by a driver on a cell phone probably talking trash.

Eating while driving is another bad one.
Old 08-17-04, 03:32 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything that distracts you while driving is a no, no.

Quick Reply: I did a boo boo