ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fixed Check Engine.TRAC off problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-04, 10:10 AM
zach
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed Check Engine.TRAC off problem

Well, I finally decided to into the dealership to have my 97's TRAC OFF/check Engine light problem looked at... They told me it was due to the oxygen sensor before the catalytic converter. Grr. I paid $180 back in March because I was told it was a problem due to the O2 sensor AFTER the cat. conv. They gave me an estimate for $307. I waited an hour and a half, and they fixed it, for a grand total of $302.88. How nice, they overestimated by $4.12. Anyway, the car started much better. I tested it by attempting to accelerate rapidly with the wheel sharply turned to the right.. Unlike last time, the car's traction control seemed to work because the wheels gripped the surface and the car sped off wonderfully, instead of the horrific lurching back and forth that it did when the TRAC off light was on.

All in all, I'm happy. Disappointed to have to pay more money, but glad the issue is finally resolved. I should be all set for my 1700 mile roadtrip now. Woohoo.

Oil change, tires rotated and balanced, new battery, new O2 sensor before cat... the car is good to go!
Old 08-17-04, 08:18 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad to hear you got it fixed by the dealership with no problems at all. We all know how expensive the service costs at a dealership can get, but remember that you automatically get a 1-year warranty behind any kind of service work the dealership does on your car. Just something peaceful to keep in the back of your mind while you're out there on your road trip. Good luck and drive safe!
Old 08-17-04, 08:59 PM
zach
Rookie

Well, I posted too soon. I was able to do my sharp acceleration and cornering maybe one more time, and then the Check Engine light blinked on as I pulled into my girlfriend's driveway. I got a sinking feeling. Sure enough, later, when I tried the sharp acceleration, the familiar lurching returned. I called the dealership (it was like 10pm) and left a terse message. I'll call again in the morning. I'm so upset

What's the best recourse? Have the $302 applied to whatever else is wrong? Would they even do that? It seems like they would be willing to be flexible, considering that they told me that the front O2 sensor was the problem and that it would fix the warning lights issue. GRRRRRRR.

And I leave in 36 hours... bah.
Old 08-17-04, 09:17 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Did Lexus run a diagnostic tool to check the source of the error code behind the TRAC OFF and CEL lights (I hope they did)? In any case, be demanding when you get in touch with Lexus service (have the service manager/director in on the situation too). You want flawless service work done on your Lexus, and it seems the service dept has failed to deliver that. Definitely no excuses at all. You also want to maintain a friendly and positive attitude in person so that they can understand the problem and work with you better.

Unfortunately, service "nightmare" stories do exist (and I've heard many of them on the Lexus side), so I hope yours won't turn out like that.
Old 08-18-04, 02:08 PM
zach
Rookie

I dropped my car off at at 9:20am. I waited an hour and a half before I was told what was wrong with it... "heated O2 sensor." Great. The service lady said not to worry, she'd take care of it. My dad came by and we had lunch and then worked for a while. At 2:10pm the service lady called me to say that it was definitely the heated O2 sensor, that she had to order it but that it was coming next-day shipping. I asked her if that meant I had to leave my car there, and she said, yes, because it's all taken apart. Great. I asked her if the heated O2 sensor was definitely the problem, and she promised me it was and that she was completely behind it. So now it'll be done "no later than 11am."

Good ---> Free

Bad ---> Overnight! WTF?! She said it'd take only half an hour to 45 minutes to put it back together in the morning with the part .. .so why couldn't she have it put together in the four remaining business hours? Argh.

Honestly, I still don't think that's the issue... I'm more worried about the charcoal canister or the Mass Air Flow sensor, from my reading on the CL forums. But she said they took everything apart and completely diagnosed it, so I'll just have to hope that they're right.

On another positive note, I ate a ton of muffins and drank a lot of tea at the dealership. Good stuff.
Old 08-18-04, 06:49 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by zach
I dropped my car off at at 9:20am. I waited an hour and a half before I was told what was wrong with it... "heated O2 sensor." Great. The service lady said not to worry, she'd take care of it. My dad came by and we had lunch and then worked for a while. At 2:10pm the service lady called me to say that it was definitely the heated O2 sensor, that she had to order it but that it was coming next-day shipping. I asked her if that meant I had to leave my car there, and she said, yes, because it's all taken apart. Great. I asked her if the heated O2 sensor was definitely the problem, and she promised me it was and that she was completely behind it. So now it'll be done "no later than 11am."

Good ---> Free

Bad ---> Overnight! WTF?! She said it'd take only half an hour to 45 minutes to put it back together in the morning with the part .. .so why couldn't she have it put together in the four remaining business hours? Argh.

Honestly, I still don't think that's the issue... I'm more worried about the charcoal canister or the Mass Air Flow sensor, from my reading on the CL forums. But she said they took everything apart and completely diagnosed it, so I'll just have to hope that they're right.

On another positive note, I ate a ton of muffins and drank a lot of tea at the dealership. Good stuff.
Zach look like they replaced the wrong a/f sensor. Or the wrong heated a/f circuit.
JPI
Old 09-10-04, 11:24 PM
zach
Rookie

Hate to bring this up again, but the light is back on. Unbelievable. I'm in Phoenix, Arizona, now -- what should I do? Can I take it to a Lexus dealership here? I have the receipts and repair documents from my dealership back in Indianapolis... will the one here honor the service? Or will I have to call Lexus and arrange something?
Old 09-11-04, 07:01 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by zach
Can I take it to a Lexus dealership here? I have the receipts and repair documents from my dealership back in Indianapolis... will the one here honor the service? Or will I have to call Lexus and arrange something?
1. yes you can bring it to any dealer. The service computer is nationwide so they should be able to look up the previous problem and see the corrective action.

2. if the problem is the same, then they MAY/should contact the previous dealership and work out some plan. How much time has elapsed since the previous service? Most dealerships will warranty for 90 days, I have even seen some warranty selected parts for up to a year.

3. if it is a new problem, you are on your own. It may be one of the other two O2 sensors. Usually when one craps from normal use, the other(s) ain't far behind.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 09-11-04 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-11-04, 09:46 AM
zach
Rookie

Less than a month has elapsed since the service... a little over three weeks.
Old 09-17-04, 05:50 PM
zach
Rookie

Well, I went to Scottsdale Lexus and they wanted $109, an hour's labor, just to look at it. I told them I'd go to Autozone and have them look at it for free. So I need to go there and have it looked at Argh
Old 09-20-04, 07:00 AM
jamesliz
Driver School Candidate

Default Engine Lite and Trac Lite Problem

Zach, I am interested in the resolution of your problem. Durung the evaction from Louisiana for hurricane Ivan I sat idling my 2000 ES 300 for four (4) hours in traffice in 90 degree weather with air on. Suddenly, both the engine light and trac off light came on. Not knowing if the car was safe to drive I returned home and evacuated in another vehicle. Something must have cooked. However, after I returned home, I started the car and the lights are both out and traction control seems to work. However, I have not driven it anywhere. If this happens again and I'm not located near a dealer is it safe to drive in this mode? Will it get me home? Also, since I have a 2000, I don't thing it's the CC. Please let me know what they finally determine was the cause. It must be heat related.
Old 09-20-04, 03:18 PM
zach
Rookie

James,

My check engine light always comes on first, seemingly at random. Its come on several times, and I haven't noticed any consistent cause. Oddly, I notice that when it's off (like after being reset at Autozone, the car starts a little easier and quicker). The TRAC OFF light comes on when I accelerate very hard, very rapidly (while the check engine light is on). The car lurches forward a few times, and then settles down. Its a very disturbing phenomenon and I try not to repeat it, because I don't know what will happen to the car.

It is safe to drive, just don't attempt any hard accelerations (well, you could try them, but I don't know what it does to the car). Apparently, the check enginge light and TRAC OFF are related, when the CEL is on it affects the traction control.

I called my Indiana dealership this morning, but haven't heard back from them. This is so frustrating. Once I find out what it truly is, I'll definitely post the findings here!
Old 09-20-04, 04:48 PM
jamesliz
Driver School Candidate

Zach, Apparently, Lexus linked the engine light to the traction system so that people would attend to the problem. In many other cars the engine light comes on and people do nothing about it. Some cars have them come on at certain mileage intervals. After talking with Lexus service manager I realized Lexus' motive. Don't get me wrong, I think any engine light on should be attended to, but Lexus added a motivator. You see, there really is no reason why the traction control needs to be shut down, that system is related more to the transmission, little to do with engine air mixture imbalance which usually is responsible for the engine light ( oxygen sensor, Mass Air Flow Sensor, Air Fuel Ratio Sensor, etc). Mine has stayed off for now. Let me know what they find. Sorry to hear that Lexus is no better at diagnosing than other car dealers; just more expensive. That's why I never go to a dealer for repairs unless I know up front what causes the problem. Keep me posted
Old 01-12-07, 06:09 AM
Lex99
Driver School Candidate

Bringing this thread back from the dead. My 99 recently tripped the check engine/traction light on. I verified that the traction control is not working.

Car drives perfect and gas mileage seems to be a little short from 420 miles to a tank to a mere 400. Could this be the O2 sensor?

Zach, did you ever, truely cure your problem? Thanks everyone for their input and time!
Old 01-12-07, 06:12 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Lex99, have you brought your car to an Autozone or Advance Auto Parts store to get the error code(s) scanned? If not, you should do so. It's a free service, and will give you the exact identification of the source behind the check engine light/traction control off problem. Just because the TRAC OFF light is on doesn't necessarily mean the traction control system is not working. When the CEL and TRAC OFF come on, the car is running in "fail-safe" mode, so your car should be OK to drive for a while. The problem is typically emissions-related (i.e. O2 sensors, charcoal canister, etc.)

Quick Reply: Fixed Check Engine.TRAC off problem