ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Just Got My HID 7000K

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04 | 11:50 PM
freakyplanet12
Rookie

i hate to say it but it's nice white...but ... if u look around.. u'll see that those kits will die.. pre-maturely.... u should try a retro... cuz i did the whole kit route... i just ended up doing a retro... a valeo retro.. to be exact...
Old 09-03-04 | 05:39 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

I must agree with freaky here. An HID retrofit will not only give you longer-lasting lighting operation, but also better lighting output and quality cutoff, something that's almost hardly achievable in certain aftermarket HID assembly kits.

This is why (for the '97-'01 ES at least) I'm hesitant of installing an aftermarket HiD kit into my non-HID headlamps, since there will be a lot of glare, the cutoff is either terrible or non-existant, and the lighting output will pretty much be crap For the time being, I'm happy with my PIAA Xtreme White bulbs (lasted more than a year so far).
Old 09-03-04 | 07:58 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

hmmmm..I have Phillips 6000K Ultinons that work fine in my 98. Never have any glare problems (Ie flashing from other drivers in 2.2 years). The light output is a lot better with my hids

http://home.comcast.net/%7E94gsxr110...after_hids.jpg

Last edited by mburnickas; 09-03-04 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-03-04 | 08:10 AM
freakyplanet12
Rookie

Originally posted by mburnickas
hmmmm..I have Phillips 6000K Ultinons that work fine in my 98. Never have any glare problems (Ie flashing from other drivers in 2.2 years). The light output is a lot better with my hids

hey big props to not getting flashed... but over the course of one year... i never got flashed either..( with my kit) i live in an area.. where most cars.... like.. 20-30% ( i think thats a lot) have OEM HID... i'm pretty sure the people here were conditioned to get used to hid glare.. as with urs.. up in MS or is it MT? for mass.. any ways... i just felt it was unfair to have glare for other drivers... i did it for the over all safety of other drivers and myselft... plus... it was something to do on my car. i never regretted it.

not trying to hate.. just trying to help. peace OUT!
Old 09-03-04 | 08:30 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

No problem. I got flashed all the time in my old F350 diesel with PIAA because it was so high up. The head lights were at my chest level ( I am 6' 2"). That truck caused issues while my HIDS do not.

True, when hids came out I was even like wha the hell. Now I could careless.
Old 09-03-04 | 09:02 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

is it possible to put 01 headlights onto a 98?
Old 09-03-04 | 09:17 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Do you mean the complete housing etc?
Old 09-03-04 | 09:34 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mburnickas

Mike, that looks pretty good. I don't doubt the quality of the Phillips HID kits; they're one of the best out there. Glad to hear you don't have problems with glaring or other people flashing you. The fact that I don't do much driving at night, however, doesn't justify myself purchasing an aftermarket HID kit

FYI, from my perspective, I do not see any difference between the '00-'01 headlamps vs. the ones on the '97-'99, although the '00-'01 ES has a factory HID option that has a different design pattern inside the headlamps.

Here are a couple pics of an '00-'01 ES with factory HIDs:

Old 09-03-04 | 11:02 AM
freakyplanet12
Rookie

Originally posted by Woogie
is it possible to put 01 headlights onto a 98?
Originally posted by lexusk8
Mike, that looks pretty good. I don't doubt the quality of the Phillips HID kits; they're one of the best out there. Glad to hear you don't have problems with glaring or other people flashing you. The fact that I don't do much driving at night, however, doesn't justify myself purchasing an aftermarket HID kit

FYI, from my perspective, I do not see any difference between the '00-'01 headlamps vs. the ones on the '97-'99, although the '00-'01 ES has a factory HID option that has a different design pattern inside the headlamps.

Here are a couple pics of an '00-'01 ES with factory HIDs:

dont mean to hijack... appologies.. but i was wondering if any one knows.. if i can transplant 97+ head light assemblies.. into my 92.. i've been comparing them .. size and shape are almost same it's just that i dont have $ to waste.... the reason being for this transplant is that newer es's have "clearer" plastic... therfore allowing more light passing through. my current head lights rob me of 20-30 % of my light output. with the transplant (with a lil modding to mount it) i would retro new HID's into them.... thats my plan.. but i just need some nudge from the guru's.

thanks!
Old 09-03-04 | 01:31 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by freakyplanet12
dont mean to hijack... appologies.. but i was wondering if any one knows.. if i can transplant 97+ head light assemblies.. into my 92.. i've been comparing them .. size and shape are almost same it's just that i dont have $ to waste.... the reason being for this transplant is that newer es's have "clearer" plastic... therfore allowing more light passing through. my current head lights rob me of 20-30 % of my light output. with the transplant (with a lil modding to mount it) i would retro new HID's into them.... thats my plan.. but i just need some nudge from the guru's.

thanks!
they wont fit... they dont even have the same dimensions... why dont you try wetsanding and buffing your headlights.. theyll look brand new
Old 09-03-04 | 03:21 PM
George Hsieh
Lead Lap

Default Re: NICE

Originally posted by I DOGG
What Island are U on?
My wife and I will be on Maui in 3 weeks.
We will be there for 2 weeks.
I am at Oahu... Honolulu... let me know if you are comming...
Old 09-03-04 | 03:26 PM
George Hsieh
Lead Lap

Originally posted by C to the O
lol..
yeah, blows my Silverstars out of the water!
Thankz I love it too... hehehe
Old 09-03-04 | 03:28 PM
George Hsieh
Lead Lap

Originally posted by gmac1337
awesome!!! how much $$? and where you get em?
I got them off from one of my frined's hand... he got a Mazda 3 brand new and he just brought the HID kit for it.. but he decided to sale the car after 2 months so he is driving G35 now.. so it won't fit his new car... so he sale it to me for $250...
Old 09-03-04 | 07:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by freakyplanet12

thanks!
You can transplant but you will have to mod the lights and possibly your headlights/bumper mounts to get the 97+ newer headlight assemblies to fit. Just because the lenses are free form (no lined lenses) doesn't mean it's better than the old ones. You have projector beams that are definitely good. Is it that your headlight lenses are pitted/fogged which is causing you your so called 20-30% lighting output loss? If so, nothing should stop you from obtaining a new oem or new aftermarket replacement housing and fitting HID's into your projectors. You will probably get a better light output with your projectors rather than the freeform clear lenses w/multireflectors found on the newer models.

My $0.02
Old 09-03-04 | 07:54 PM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

George,
Looks good!

Quick Reply: Just Got My HID 7000K