ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

es250 airbag

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-04, 08:16 PM
DJFX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default es250 airbag

I recently aquired a 90 model es250 that had a minor frontal impact after a couple of months of hunting parts im down to one last thing. Replacing the airbag i have a new bag but im having a time getting to the old one i removed the screws underneath the steering colom and the one behind the steering wheel and its loose but i cant seem to make it let go since it dosnt have tilt steering its a lot more troulble. am i gonna have to remove the whole dash panel to get to the back of the steering wheel and remove the 4 bolts holding on the airbag? if so any tips on this without damaging anything i saw the 4 big bolts underneath but didnt see any up top , is there another piece that needs to be replaced besides the bag itself like the deflator or it all built in there? what about plugging it in am i gonna get a facefull of it or will unplugging the battery make it safe? thanks for any info ive been working on this car but a while im ready to get the last step buttoned up.
Old 09-06-04, 09:03 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Unfortunately for you, the ES250 is a remarkably rare car and virtually noone on this site owns one.
Old 09-06-04, 11:20 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Re: es250 airbag

Originally posted by DJFX
I recently aquired a 90 model es250 that had a minor frontal impact after a couple of months of hunting parts im down to one last thing. Replacing the airbag i have a new bag but im having a time getting to the old one i removed the screws underneath the steering colom and the one behind the steering wheel and its loose but i cant seem to make it let go since it dosnt have tilt steering its a lot more troulble. am i gonna have to remove the whole dash panel to get to the back of the steering wheel and remove the 4 bolts holding on the airbag? if so any tips on this without damaging anything i saw the 4 big bolts underneath but didnt see any up top , is there another piece that needs to be replaced besides the bag itself like the deflator or it all built in there? what about plugging it in am i gonna get a facefull of it or will unplugging the battery make it safe? thanks for any info ive been working on this car but a while im ready to get the last step buttoned up.
You shouldn't have to remove the dash panel to remove the airbag from the wheel. You need to pop off one of the cover panels on the side of the wheel (opposite side of the cruise control switch) to access the bolts.
Old 09-09-04, 02:59 AM
DJFX
Driver School Candidate

Red face

duh 2 of them were right in site behind the cruise control and the other 2 i found by popping off the panel on the other side thanks for that i wish i saw them before i took out like 8 bolts lol. ok now the airbag. if i disconnect the battery for like 30 minutes to an hour then put on the new airbag is it gonna make the light go away since its now seeing a good airbag? anything i should be concerned with when installing the new bag to make sure it dosnt have a freak deploy? is the deflator built into the bag or is that something else i need to buy ? thanks again i cant wait to get the new one on everyone is like oh man your airbag is out and im like oh **** really? lol i hate it . thanks again .
Old 09-09-04, 10:00 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by DJFX
everyone is like oh man your airbag is out and im like oh **** really? lol i hate it . thanks again .
keep a motorcycle helmut behind your seat,
the next person that makes a comment......reach back, grab the helmut and hand it to them.

sj