ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: What problems you have run into in your ES?
Burnt out instrument needles or lights
45.52%
Valve cover gaskets or rear main seal (causing oil leaks)
29.92%
Failed heated seats
11.51%
Peeling of B-pillar (between front & rear windows)
19.05%
A/C defective
11.64%
Yellow or hazed headlights or foglights
35.29%
Transmission hesitation, or lag of acceleration
34.78%
Antenna
27.37%
Window regulator
18.67%
Motor mounts
15.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 782. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with your ES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-04, 07:00 PM
LexusDaisy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Dead CD Changer

My 96 has a dead CD changer.... electronic issue. Saw lots of comments about problems with them.
Should the ES CD Changer be on the list?

Car has 117,000 miles but I don't hesitate to take family on regular 700 mile trips. Could use shocks and struts, but they are still pretty smooth. Has some air leaks.

Had to replace front rotors and CV joints, and a driver side power window switch. Replaced timing belt at 115k, but it looked like it would have lasted at least another 50k.

Been a very good car, but not as reliable as my wife's 92 Camry 4 cyl; that thing only cost one power antenna and front rotors turned.... that is all in 98,000 miles.

The ES is way more refined and fun to drive so I don't mind the extra maint cost at all.... NOTHING like what a comparable domestic brand would have cost.... like a Caddy Catera or baby Lincoln
Old 11-29-04, 08:22 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by LexusDaisy
My 96 has a dead CD changer.... electronic issue. Saw lots of comments about problems with them.
Should the ES CD Changer be on the list?
Sorry to hear about the problem with the CD changer in your car. Unfortunately that's not too common of a problem for the ES compared to oil leaks and the like.

You have the option of having the changer repaired at a car audio shop, replacing the changer at the dealership for lots of $$$, or replacing the entire stereo with an aftermarket head unit equipped with an in-dash CD player. As you can see, you're not at a dead end with a messed-up CD changer
Old 11-30-04, 05:36 PM
LexusDaisy
Rookie

Default CD Woes

I sent the CD Changer off to the authorized Pioneer repair center who said it was electronic, and that they were not going to try to fix it. Pioneer did refer me to another outfit who said they would "analyse" the problem for $125, but did not guarantee that they could succeed, and that parts and labor could be several hundred more.

I am considering a new in dash unit, but like the speakers. Any way to use them with a modern head unit? Is there an adaptor, or is it not too hard to wire up the speakers? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-14-04, 09:26 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I haven't had any problems with the vehicle yet, 2001 with 45.3k on it. My "D" light in the gauge cluster is dim, but I'm guessing that's safety feature so the green doesn't blare you in the face at night when your headlights are on? (I always leave mine on)

As far as O2 sensors go, those are a problem in every car I've ever encountered. So far they've held up in mine, but this is the first winter I've gone through with it. My old Cavalier went in 4 times in 1 1/2 years for O2 sensors
Old 12-14-04, 10:04 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Don't worry about the 'D' light being a dim green when the headlights are on. The same thing happens on my '01 ES, my loaner '01 ES, and pretty much all the '97-'01 ES. Most likely designed straight from the factory.
Old 12-14-04, 05:17 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

98 ES300

1. the windows, they seem kinda week at times and the motor is pretty loud. I dont know if this is a
common problem for all ES's my year.

2. Strut mounts are all messed up, im gunna get them replaced pretty soon.

3. press hard on the accelerator and i hear this ticking sound, that's only if i have the window rolled down.
Old 12-22-04, 08:57 AM
92es300v6
Driver School Candidate

I have a 92 with 192,000 with a blown head gasket. Got it that way but waiting for the motor for after Xmas. I traded my 94 honda accorde ex for it. But I love sitting in it.
Old 12-27-04, 11:52 AM
Lex Diamonds
Driver

I haven't really had any problems with my ES as of yet (124k miles) but the only issue I have is that my paint is peeling on the bumper and on the front hood - I went to the body shop that supports the neighborhood Lexus dealership and the estimate came to roughly $2800 to replace/paint the front bumper and repaint the front hood. I'm not the richest dude out there but I held off on doing that job cause I know those guys are trying to burn me.

Hurts to see my baby all chipped up!
Old 01-04-05, 03:42 PM
johnnyt
Pole Position

problems would be the b pillar which i will paint in the spring
some lights are out in the instrument panel doesn't bother but the radio lcd burnt out and i bought and new lcd for it.
headligts yellowing bought a cleaner for it made it look brand new
other than that just routine maitance(150k miles on it now.)
Old 01-04-05, 08:02 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnnyt
problems would be the b pillar which i will paint in the spring
Regarding the B-pillar, I think you may be better off buying the pillar piece from the parts counter at the dealership (should be about $55-$60) since it may be cheaper than having it refinished at a body shop, and the new pillar already comes as clearcoated like from the factory. Just unclip the old pillar, snap on the new one, and you're all set
Old 01-05-05, 04:56 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had problems with both left and right front turn signals on my wife's 2000 es300. Right side went out at about 12K and the left at 29K. When the left side went out, the car was out of warranty but the Lexus dealer still covered it at no charge. I remember reading somewhere that Lexus has a design flaw in to 97 to 01's that allow moisture to get in and over time, corrode the electrical sockets .
Old 01-09-05, 11:31 AM
STAGED
Driver School Candidate

windshield a-pillar wind noise
Old 01-24-05, 01:19 AM
sOaRaHh
Driver School Candidate

I have the normal burnt out needle for my rev meter. The speedo, temp and petrol level lights are flashing in the middle.

engine stabiliser is worn which will mean the front engine mount is gone too.

tapet cover gasket is leaking and rear crank shaft seal is leaking too. i get a strange burnt oil smell from time to time which is said to be the oil leaking on the exhaust manifold.

fortunately one of my close friends works for lexus and will do everything for me apart for the rear crank shaft seal, he said to just use thicker oil (Penrite HPR15 will do).. plus cost parts!

my CD stacker, apart from it taking about 10-20 seconds to load a cd, is fine. It plays all CD-Rs fine!

Duy
Old 01-24-05, 01:21 AM
sOaRaHh
Driver School Candidate

and also, my bonnet struts are gone.
Old 02-16-05, 08:05 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Regarding the B-pillar, I think you may be better off buying the pillar piece from the parts counter at the dealership (should be about $55-$60) since it may be cheaper than having it refinished at a body shop, and the new pillar already comes as clearcoated like from the factory. Just unclip the old pillar, snap on the new one, and you're all set

found a great place for lexus parts where i'm ordering the pillar molding on the drivers side (left) for a total of $38.62 w/free ups ground shipping. Painted black and clear coated. Let you guys know how it looks when i get it.

http://www.newlexusparts.com/

Quick Reply: Problems with your ES?