ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: What problems you have run into in your ES?
Burnt out instrument needles or lights
45.52%
Valve cover gaskets or rear main seal (causing oil leaks)
29.92%
Failed heated seats
11.51%
Peeling of B-pillar (between front & rear windows)
19.05%
A/C defective
11.64%
Yellow or hazed headlights or foglights
35.29%
Transmission hesitation, or lag of acceleration
34.78%
Antenna
27.37%
Window regulator
18.67%
Motor mounts
15.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 782. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with your ES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 08:23 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shortly after I merged into the highway, LOTS of white smoke started comming out my tail pipe. I stopped and looked under the hood. There was antifreeze/coolant in the radiator but not in the engine... (see pic)

I opened that cap that was on the corner to the engine there and there was no coolant in there. So I decided to add a gallon of coolant. I start my car and there's a lot of coolant flying out of my exhaust. The engine started shaking real bad so I turned the car off. I checked the oil and it seemed fine. I think a gasket is blown. I had it towed to my house and a day later I find that the oil is turning brown. I think water is leaking to the oil now too. Do I need a new motor or is it cheaper to rebuild the motor?
Old 12-01-05, 06:27 PM
MattB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many of these problems would be covered under a Lexus extended warranty? I'm considering buying a 2001 ES with around 50K on it and getting an extended warranty to 100K...
Old 12-02-05, 06:07 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MattB
How many of these problems would be covered under a Lexus extended warranty? I'm considering buying a 2001 ES with around 50K on it and getting an extended warranty to 100K...
Extended warranty generally covers anything that can go wrong with the engine, transmission, fuel injection system, and anything internal. It will not cover wear-and-tear items (i.e. brakes, tires, drive belts, mounts, suspension, all fluids).
Old 12-02-05, 02:06 PM
kate
Driver School Candidate

Default es 300 problem

2002 ES 300 bought used less than a month ago.. Front exhaust pipe already failed (leaks) at 60,000miles (probably happened a while ago, just wasn't addressed), no external damage to it . Mechanic says its manufacturer's defect. Lexus refusing to assist. Repair cost $1000. The dealer I bought the car from is not going to repair it. Warranty on this particular pipe in California is 70,000 miles, I am in Delaware and I am screwed.
Old 01-16-06, 03:20 PM
RSGLEX
Driver School Candidate

Cool re Steering issues

Originally Posted by Rene Jorda
Hi,

I am new to Club Lexus and find it very interesting that others are so willing to share their knowledge of correcting issues on their vehicles.

I own a 93 ES 300 and it recently developed steering issues. It becomes difficult to turn the steering wheel at the 4 quarters of the clock (12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock).In between these sticking spots, it steers normal. Any ideas?
Hi. If you havn't resoved this have your CV joints looked at. If they are failing they can cause some major steering issues as I've recently experienced!!
Old 01-16-06, 03:43 PM
RSGLEX
Driver School Candidate

Default ES300 issues

We own a 1992 Lexus ES300 with 200000 km which we've had now for aprox. 3 years. We have put on aprox. 55,000 KM or 34400 miles. The most annoying issue it currently has is sometimes the taillights won't shut off and the only way to get them off is to pull the tailight fuse on JB#1. This is an intermittant problem which can be caused by the integration relay or its I/O devises, the daytime running relay or its I/O devises, or the tailight relay which appears to be doing what its told. Troubleshooting is in progress but at the cost of these replacement relays I would like to be sure of what I need before I buy it. Anyone else have a similar problem? Other issues with this vehicle have included:
Antenna motor
Heat/cool servo motor
Seat heaters
Drivers side window swicth
Passenger side window motor
Drivers side door trim
Intake manifold gasket
Oil filter support O-ring (dripped on manifold causing smoke)
CV joints
This list could be worse for the vehicles age and despite worn leather is still a comfortable car to drive.
Old 01-23-06, 01:12 PM
cicerone22
Driver School Candidate

Default Front instrument panel lights

I just joined today, and followed the instruction on my front instrument lights; hit my palm several times against the plastic shield surrounding the plastic, and all the lights that were out came back on! Wow, this forum is fantastic. I have a 95 ES300 with 60,000 miles on it. Planning on keeping it, because other than the lights, I have never had any problems with this car.
Old 01-31-06, 01:25 PM
ih8fizzix
Driver School Candidate

My famliy just purchased a 1995 Lexus Es300.

The problems that the car has are as follows:
Antenna Motor
Both front heated seat switches
Radio Display light(s)
Climate Control Display light(s)
Bottom of the front bumper sags...the part where the fog lights are
( I've noticed that alot of the first gen. es300s do this)
Old 02-25-06, 06:24 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Hey guys, newbie here! Can't believe I haven't joined sooner. I spend too much time on my performance boating web sites I guess.

Anyway, my 98 ES300 has been the best car I have ever owned hands down. I've had the B pillar issue as well. Nice to know they are so easily replaced. And I learned to clean my throttle body regularly. My only other issue (currently) is my radio LCD. Damned dealer won't sell me one and wants $500 to replace it. We have a Lexus mechanic in our boat club who has offered to show me how to replace it. I just need to get the part. None on Ebay.

Anybody know where I can find one?
Old 02-26-06, 08:50 PM
Two bit
Pole Position

2000 ES300 with 57k miles. If you stomp on it, incredible amounts of lag then around 4k it kicks in. Cold days the tranny has a hard time shifting which sucks bigtime. 3(split) spoked wheels are dog ugly :-\

Other than that they're great cars and soooooo comfortable!

Last edited by Two bit; 03-03-06 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-05-06, 08:17 AM
papachino
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Macklin
I spend too much time on my performance boating web sites I guess.
Dang I failed that poll, I had six checked but the lexus still holds up. It wasn't in greatest care when it was given to me and I htnk the tranny has alrady been rebuilt, a couple times. But I plan on fixing her up to spankin new Maclkin, what kind of boat do you have? I only have a 90 Sea-doo bombardier that I want to get a new motor for so that I can get more speed
Old 03-05-06, 09:04 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by papachino
Maclkin, what kind of boat do you have? I only have a 90 Sea-doo bombardier that I want to get a new motor for so that I can get more speed
Current boat is a PowerQuest 340 Vyper....for sale. Time to move up.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8115.html
Old 03-05-06, 06:42 PM
papachino
Pole Position

you were pretty serious about that power boat stuff, let's see some pics of the upgrade.
Old 04-01-06, 12:58 PM
auric
Driver School Candidate

Default Peeling paint on side mirrors

My 2000 ES 300 with 98K miles has been a mechanical dream. However, The paint (millenium silver) has peeled off the arms which attach the side mirrors. I took the car to recommended body shop who said they could not repaint the arms because the paint would not adhere to the "chalky" material of the mounting arms. Has anyone had to deal with this problem?

I also experienced the peeling b columns and was happy to read on this thread how easily it can be fixed.

Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-02-06, 09:39 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auric
My 2000 ES 300 with 98K miles has been a mechanical dream. However, The paint (millenium silver) has peeled off the arms which attach the side mirrors. I took the car to recommended body shop who said they could not repaint the arms because the paint would not adhere to the "chalky" material of the mounting arms. Has anyone had to deal with this problem?

I also experienced the peeling b columns and was happy to read on this thread how easily it can be fixed.

Thanks for any replies.
That's odd. Did you take it to a Lexus-approved body shop? I've never heard of a body shop not being able to paint something simple, especially on a car as popular as the 2000 ES300

Quick Reply: Problems with your ES?