ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: What problems you have run into in your ES?
Burnt out instrument needles or lights
45.52%
Valve cover gaskets or rear main seal (causing oil leaks)
29.92%
Failed heated seats
11.51%
Peeling of B-pillar (between front & rear windows)
19.05%
A/C defective
11.64%
Yellow or hazed headlights or foglights
35.29%
Transmission hesitation, or lag of acceleration
34.78%
Antenna
27.37%
Window regulator
18.67%
Motor mounts
15.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 782. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with your ES?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 02:33 AM
ih8fizzix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Hesitation

Hi I noticed that my car lags into 2nd gear, that was never really a major concern. However, lately it has a really hard time going past 40 mph, the rpm will go into the 6-7k range and nothing will happen, it will still stay at at the constant speed. The car wont shift into the next gear. But then after a couple of minutes after I let off throttle and gradually accelerate it proceeds into gear normally, and its also jittery getting into first and lagging in that gear as well.
Is this becoming a serious tranny problem???
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-03-06, 10:37 AM
abrarcool
Driver School Candidate

My front Motor mounts seem to be leeking and the power steering pump and rack a tad bit too
the car is a 1999 es at 110K last major service at 90 k service done was timing belt and spark plugs
Old 04-07-06, 07:00 AM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ih8fizzix
Hi I noticed that my car lags into 2nd gear, that was never really a major concern. However, lately it has a really hard time going past 40 mph, the rpm will go into the 6-7k range and nothing will happen, it will still stay at at the constant speed. The car wont shift into the next gear. But then after a couple of minutes after I let off throttle and gradually accelerate it proceeds into gear normally, and its also jittery getting into first and lagging in that gear as well.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209987
Old 04-08-06, 12:46 PM
rip921
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1998 Lexus ES 300 which has about 92500 miles on it. About 30 miles ago, I got my 90,000 mile service done at my local toyota dealership. I have had a check engine light on for over 20,000 miles. During this time that the check engine light was on, I never noticed any noises, or engine trouble or anything, and I would regularly get oil changes, and I was at my local auto zone today and asked them about my check engine light. It said there was a management control : Fuel to air metering problem. One of the codes was P-1153 i believe. They guy said that my car has 3 oxygen sensors, 2 of them are before the catalytic converter, and on my car the second oxygen sensor before the catalytic converter is faulty. Also I had another question , over the last 100 miles every time when I initially start the car and drive, the very first time that my engine has to change gears, I have noticed that this takes a long time, like the RPM's may reach 3000 or I'll have to let off of the gas to get it to change gears, but after this inital problem for the rest of the duration that I am driving that car it's fine. I only encounter this problem the first gear change after I have turned on my car. Finally one last thing, as far as I know I have not replaced my timing belt, I took my car to tires plus for a 60000 mile service but I am not sure if they replaced it. Could this be the reason for my gear problems?

Thanks for the help
Old 05-29-06, 12:13 AM
LexusDudez
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=zach]
It's back on again, and I'm trying to work with the dealership in Scottsdale to have it looked at again. Grr.

Zach, seems like you have quite a bit of challenge with that check engine light. I once went to a lexus dealer and one of the techs told me that a BAD "Gas Cap" might trigger the check engine light. Maybe thats your issue since nothing else seems to work.... Change a new gas cap and drive for few days to see if prob still presist.
Old 06-01-06, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if this was posted before... ok.. All 92-93 ES300s. Some say that they are known for the overheating problem. The antifreeze/coolant keeps on going low, the powersteering then leaks or dries up, well the MAIN problem is that the HIGH PRESSURE POWERSTEERING HOSE needs to be replaced. Then that will solve all the overheating and powersteering problems. Thehigh pressure powersteering hose usually costs around $300 at the dealer. Look around, it may be cheaper elsewhere.
Old 06-02-06, 06:32 AM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rip921
...Fuel to air metering problem. One of the codes was P-1153 i believe. They guy said that my car has 3 oxygen sensors, 2 of them are before the catalytic converter, and on my car the second oxygen sensor before the catalytic converter is faulty.
Yup. Same thing happened to mine last fall. Same code. Replace the rear bank O2 sensor. The part is about $200, it's actually been upgraded, there's a new part number for the improved sensor. You'll need an O2 sensor socket, and a ratchet wrench, drive it up onto a set of ramps to reach it. Not hard to replace, ya just gotta be a bit of a contortionist. My CEL light has been off ever since.
Old 06-19-06, 10:23 PM
JNALexus
Driver School Candidate

Arrow nice one

Hello, I'm Jared and I'm new here. I have a pearl white 92' ES 300 with 290,000 miles on it now, or a shade under that just waiting for that to change the oil again. The "problems" with mine are the valve cover gaskets are leaking a little but not so much as to call it a problem, sometimes when I start my car if its been sitting for awhile it will blow a little smoke out the exhaust but not too bad. Pretty soon here I will be replacing the power steering pump and all lines because that leaks horrible bad. My oil pan leaks a little bit but not bad and I might just get that replaced as well. The rear struts are worn out now and squeaky and I will replace all four with KYB struts since I heard on these forums that those replace the stock struts pretty good. I'm going to get my AC all checked out to see if anything needs replaced. Right now it blows COLD but in Nebraska the summers are hot so I want to be safe . My heated seats still work great, my instrument panel still is in good condition just a few tiny dim part in two needles, other then that awesome.
Old 06-20-06, 01:07 PM
Eclipsed
Driver School Candidate

2000 Lexus ES300... many issues with it. Its on the secound transmission, and is currently in the shop getting both knock sensors and thte sway bar replaced. Half the lights in the center counsle burnt out, the tail lights burn out 3 times a year, the cup holders don't hold drinks, the center consol storage compartment thingy broke, and is now being held down with velcro. The headlights HID sensor is broken, which causes my lights to aim up and blind everyone, I get many highbeams a day, and Lexus wants 700 dollars just for the sensor. The paint inbetween the windows is fading and peeling off also. The Lexus dealership has treated us like complete **** also, which is quite stupid saying its time for us to buy a new car, and they knew we where interested in buying another Lexus, but after our expierience, the Benz dealer will most likely be seeing us.

Overall, itts not a great buying experience on a car which MSRP's at 37,000.
Old 06-20-06, 02:36 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow Ben, that's a lot of problems on your 2000 ES, and most of them are pretty major too, especially the tranny and HID sensor. I too am on my 2nd transmission in my '01 ES (the first one was dying because of a malfunctional 'D' solenoid). However the car is riding smooth and solid, and if it weren't for the nice service people at the Lexus dealership who helped me out with the tranny deal, I'd probably be out of an ES for good. Sorry to hear you are dealing with loads of cr*p at your dealership Have you talked to the manager of the service dept at your dealership? You definitely don't want to be left hanging by a thin thread.
Old 06-21-06, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought another ES300 (92) like a month ago (after I crashed and sold my 93). The car has an oil leak. But the oil only leaks if the car is turned on (or running). It's not a head gasket, but it's located somewhere behind the engine. The oil drips onto the exhaust pipe (right under the engine) and then smoke comes out. (basically the heat from the exhaust pipe burns the oil) Also another leak (when the car is running) is right next to the right of the oil filter. I can't seem to fix both of these problems on my own. I don't want to take it to a mechanic yet, I want to know if these problems are fixable without a mechanic/dealer.
Old 06-21-06, 10:16 PM
99es300
Rookie

Default Memory seat failure

I posted this as a main thread- but was thinking I should also post this under problems. Anyone know how to fix the driver's seat memory function on a '99 ES300? Thanks.
Old 06-23-06, 07:23 PM
dallison
Intermediate

sounds like a mass air flow sensor. about $150 and less than 5 minutes to install. my 99 did the exact same thing

Originally Posted by ih8fizzix
Old 07-18-06, 01:28 PM
LineruaL
Driver School Candidate

My '98 ES has a problem with the AC/Fan. No matter how high it's turned up it's always stuck at a low speed. It was absolute HELL in my car for the two days after I got my windows tinted. My husband replaced the blower motor resistor this weekend, but it's still not working. wth? Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-07-06, 10:29 AM
BULL55
Driver School Candidate

Default Es Problem

I Have A 2000 Es300. Recently My Trac Off And Engine Light Both Came On At The Same Time. Also, When I Accelerate Hard, It Falls On Its Face Like Its Starving For Gas. Can You Please Help Me? Thanks......

Quick Reply: Problems with your ES?