ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: What problems you have run into in your ES?
Burnt out instrument needles or lights
45.52%
Valve cover gaskets or rear main seal (causing oil leaks)
29.92%
Failed heated seats
11.51%
Peeling of B-pillar (between front & rear windows)
19.05%
A/C defective
11.64%
Yellow or hazed headlights or foglights
35.29%
Transmission hesitation, or lag of acceleration
34.78%
Antenna
27.37%
Window regulator
18.67%
Motor mounts
15.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 782. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with your ES?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 12:30 PM
AzNMpower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just found this Lexus forum, my first one in addition to 2 BMW-related forums. First post!

Just got the '96 ES back from the dealer last week after asking them to do an inspection of the car. Getting the grocery list of issues (and stratospheric estimates), I came here and was surprised (kind of) to see so many of the same problems plaguing other ES owners. So lets see....

*cracked engine mounts need to be replaced......looks like I'm not alone
*backlighting issues.........not alone (and yes, I did bang plenty and hard on the dash as I read in the sticky) At least all the LED needles are perfect.
*antenna.......was fixed a few years ago.
*valve cover gaskets.............I see that's also common here.
*window regulator..........officially not a problem, but I know the front passenger one is gonna be the first to go south.
*transmission hesitation..........yea around 10mph it shudders a bit and seems confused, but all Toyotas seem to have this issue. Solenoid was replaced earlier this year when it really did go bad and prompted a check engine light and nothin but 3rd gear.

There's a couple more which I'll search or put into new threads.
Old 09-01-06, 09:23 PM
LAMF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got a 94 es300 today. one headlight lost its seal and is dirty and yellowish on the inside and one of the needles flickers after being on for a few minutes.

Anyone know how easy or ehard it is to remove the headlights and tail lights to clean them is??

and anyone know any easier way to fix the the flickering needle without buying a new instrument cluster??
Old 10-07-06, 04:59 PM
itsgina
Driver School Candidate

Mine's a '94 ES300; I've had it for 10 years and it has 193K+ miles. I love this car! It's had problems, but not all at once. They include:
Left rear window regulator went out (didn't bother to fix).
Side and front motor mounts replaced this year.
Can't keep the headlight lenses clear.
Instrument needles have been flickering for about 3 years.
Rear main oil seal leaking.
Antenna gave up the ghost long ago.
Motor for moonroof closed one last time (thankfully!) before one of the hurricanes hit 2 years ago.
Cracks in leather front seats and by seam of back seat.
O2 sensor causes CE light to stay on for past 4 years.
When you write it all down, it seems like a lot -- but I've put 170K on this car in 10 years and still wouldn't hesitate to do a long road trip.
Old 10-28-06, 12:02 PM
Pchaser
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusk8
My B-pillar had also peeled in my '01 ES, so what I did is replace the darned thing. Costed me about $60 from the Lexus parts counter; the part already comes as clearcoated. It is far better than the $100 estimate to have the body shop repair and re-apply clearcoat to the part. Just something for you guys to consider
did the same thing I got it a little cheaper though, funny thing is the pillars werent that bad very light peeling but I replaced because believe it or not someone stole them!!! ...u must be a crackhead to steal something as cheap as that!!

Last edited by Pchaser; 07-01-07 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-06-06, 11:29 PM
Alexbenz
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i notice the windows in the front move up slower the the rear........

the tranny kicks sometimes when i slow down to make a turn and then i hit the gas and thats when it kinda feels like it goes no where and kicks, the rpm's sorta drop......

thats all for now

hopefully it'll be good to me
Old 12-13-06, 05:12 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BULL55
I Have A 2000 Es300. Recently My Trac Off And Engine Light Both Came On At The Same Time. Also, When I Accelerate Hard, It Falls On Its Face Like Its Starving For Gas. Can You Please Help Me? Thanks......

Sounds like it might be an MAF sensor? I just had one replaced on my car not too long ago. Take it over to an Autozone and they should be able to scan the ECU for free.
Old 12-24-06, 11:34 AM
ssteward
Driver School Candidate

Hi..I am having a problem that the dealer is even having a hard time determining the cause of. I have an ES300 automatic and since the weather has turned cold it doesn't want to start. The engine is turning over and it trys to start but won't fire. We can hook up a battery charger and the car will start. The battery has been replaced and the alternator is good. Cables are fine too. Warm days the car starts just fine and runs good. Dealer did mention that it could be the "air flow sensor" but since they had it for 2 weeks and it started every day they couldn't determine the cause. Has anyone else run into this issue or have any suggestions? Thanks
Old 12-29-06, 11:19 PM
AdvanSC300
Rookie

I got a P0446 evap malfunction,I have to replace the charcoal canister because it leaks fuel!!Good thing I'm getting a discount on it!!
Damn California spec cars,Federal cars don't really have this problem!

Last edited by AdvanSC300; 01-03-07 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-03-07, 07:30 AM
cino135
Driver

97 es 300 w 155K+................engine light on, trac comes off and on. ran diag test and came up with code P 0773 shift soleniod E 5 circuit.
question is, should this matter be addressed ASAP? and what costs are we looking at here?
BTW, first time posting on site, been monitoring for a few months now and have thoroughlly enjoyed the professionalism and assiatance that has been exibited on this site.
( no mods other than clear corners as of yet)
Old 01-03-07, 07:41 PM
AdvanSC300
Rookie

You should get that shift solinoid fixed or replaced "asap" because your transmission may start shifting harsh or not shift in to some gears at all,if doesn't already do so,
thus will also affect your fuel economy if it does not shift into overdrive(aka 4th gear on a 97 ES300)!!
Old 01-04-07, 05:34 AM
cino135
Driver

Originally Posted by AdvanSC300
You should get that shift solinoid fixed or replaced "asap" because your transmission may start shifting harsh or not shift in to some gears at all,if doesn't already do so,
thus will also affect your fuel economy if it does not shift into overdrive(aka 4th gear on a 97 ES300)!!
many thanks for the response....................and idea as to how much $$$ we are looking at?
i manage an auto body repair facility that specializes in lexus vehicles (johnson lexus to be exact) and before i take it up there, i may try and have a friend/mechanic solve this issue. just dont wanna get taken for a ride.
again, thanks for the repsonse!
Old 02-06-07, 05:24 PM
TrackMonky
Driver

well i been on the forums awhile but when i went into my old account it wouldnt let me post but anyway...i got the typical problems of a lexus has......burnt out needles.....antenna broke(maKING that annoying sound...braggggehh.....and my ejr valve is bad causing my check engine light to come on.....
Old 02-08-07, 05:07 PM
snugbub
Driver School Candidate

Hi I am Sophia, I own a 2000 ES 3000 Platinum Series. I had the alternator replaced in Nov 06, and right after then my trac off/on light comes on along with ABS light. It doesn't stay on all the time. I had my mechanic check it out and they couldn't find any reason for it to be on. They suggested I take it to the Toyota dealership. Also today I hear my brakes squeak, the front brakes have been replaced within the past year, but not the back. Also about two weeks ago, my car felt like it was skipping. Then the check engine light came on and it started making a horrible loud noise. I parked it and had it towed to my mechanic and he said that who ever tuned up the car, broke or cracked a spark plug. They replaced the plug and ignition coil and it has run fine ever since. Total price $291.
Old 02-14-07, 07:02 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mcelligott
The guys with older model ESs are probably going to start running into the blwon headgasket issue a lot.
No the 3vz's shouldnt blow head gaskets unless frequently overheated. They are very strong engines with a bulletproof bottom end.
Old 02-14-07, 07:08 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
i notice the windows in the front move up slower the the rear........

the tranny kicks sometimes when i slow down to make a turn and then i hit the gas and thats when it kinda feels like it goes no where and kicks, the rpm's sorta drop......

thats all for now

hopefully it'll be good to me
Rear windows are smaller and lighter then fronts

Quick Reply: Problems with your ES?