ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Turbo ES Project - Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-05, 09:45 PM
AlecW81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to this forum so I don't want to come across as an ***, I just feel a bit of misinformation is being passed. 117k miles is nowhere near being "too high" to run large amounts of boost. The milage has very little to do with it, it's the preparations you make with the engine that matter most. Get some lower compression pistons (using a thicker head gasket may be easier and cheaper, but it's far from ideal) stronger rods, ARP hardware (if it's even available for an ES) and the correct supporting fuel mods and you'll be golden. Ideally you wouldn't turbo an NA car till around the 60k mile mark so it's had ample time to be broken in. Throwing forced induction into the mix on a relatively new car isn't the greatest idea.

As far as your turbo project goes, looks pretty good. I don't think I would have chosen the same location to mount the turbo, but then I'm still not terribly familiar with these cars, I've been in the DSM scene for the last few years. Somewhere more in the middle of the engine bay, between the intercooler and manifold would make for shorter intercooler piping and allow your intake to be in a more ideal position to draw in colder/denser air. Maybe after I pick up my own ES300 I'll be able to study the engine bay in more detail and have some more accurate advice. If you're planning to go with a stand-alone I'd definitely take a long hard look at A***s EMS. It takes a bit of tinkering to get everything pinned down the way you want, but it's a great piece of gear. You also might want to get some larger injectors if you plan on cranking the boost up some. The fuel pump should be sufficient for almost anything you plan on doing (as the OEM Supra Fuel pump is a very popular upgrade for several other turbo cars)

Good Luck, and Happy Boosting. btw, neglected to mention it earlier, but I'd definitely get rid of the Turbo XS Bypass Valve... a more reliable and better made BOV would be a GReddy Type-S or Tial, if you don't mind ghetto rigging a few things (and it looks like you don't) the stock BOV from a 1st Gen DSM is more then worth the $50 you can pick one up for.
Old 02-18-05, 04:51 AM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AlecW81
I'm new to this forum so I don't want to come across as an ***, I just feel a bit of misinformation is being passed. 117k miles is nowhere near being "too high" to run large amounts of boost. The milage has very little to do with it, it's the preparations you make with the engine that matter most. Get some lower compression pistons (using a thicker head gasket may be easier and cheaper, but it's far from ideal) stronger rods, ARP hardware (if it's even available for an ES) and the correct supporting fuel mods and you'll be golden. Ideally you wouldn't turbo an NA car till around the 60k mile mark so it's had ample time to be broken in. Throwing forced induction into the mix on a relatively new car isn't the greatest idea.
I not talking about a 117k motor with a slight rebuild, I mean someone who just takes this motor and slaps a turbo on it with no preparation, which most people on here would plan to do (upgraded internals = totally custom for this motor). The location for the turbo is much further from the manifolds than I would like, but if ya look at our bay in person, youll see that this is unfortunately the only realistic way to run a larger turbo. I would have had a nice HKS SQV BOV or something else similar, but our goofed out maf requires a bpv. Thanks for your input though -- always can use a good critique to see how I'm doing! I have a 2g dsm as well, so beileve me some of the parts of this setup really drive me nuts.
Old 02-18-05, 06:29 AM
AlecW81
Driver School Candidate

I would hardly call the HK$ SSQV a "Good" BOV. Anyone I know that's ever ran one has had nothing but problems, leaks, surging, etc. I'll definitely have to look more into the MAF on these, as I don't see how the MAF could be a factor in going with a BOV or BPV. As long as you routed the BOV back into the intake there should be no problems. However, if I were to turbo an ES I'd definitely run a standalone EMS and use a more accurate MAP sensor in blow through.
Old 02-18-05, 03:14 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlecW81
I would hardly call the HK$ SSQV a "Good" BOV. Anyone I know that's ever ran one has had nothing but problems, leaks, surging, etc. I'll definitely have to look more into the MAF on these, as I don't see how the MAF could be a factor in going with a BOV or BPV. As long as you routed the BOV back into the intake there should be no problems. However, if I were to turbo an ES I'd definitely run a standalone EMS and use a more accurate MAP sensor in blow through.

Theyve always worked quite well on my cars and friends cars, oh well. youre just out to start an argument arent you?
Old 02-20-05, 11:15 AM
AlecW81
Driver School Candidate

No, I'm not out to start an argument, in my experience they've been nothing but overpriced and ricey pieces of crap that never work properly.
Old 02-20-05, 11:22 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It worked well for me without any issues
Old 02-23-05, 01:51 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Here's the key to ripping out most of the front end parts of my car...
Attached Thumbnails Turbo ES Project - Pics Inside-dscn0998.jpg  
Old 02-23-05, 03:53 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

hoosier radials, in the true NHRA and IHRA style!
Old 02-23-05, 05:58 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

youve come along way grasshopper

looks great

congrats on the work youve done
johnny
Old 02-23-05, 10:18 PM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Looking great!!
Old 03-30-05, 01:15 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

So...ummm how fast is this thing now? Any numbers for us?
Old 03-30-05, 04:11 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Tracks just opened a week ago, give me some time to tune and we'll get some #'s

Today was the first really nice day of the year up here too...
Old 03-30-05, 05:01 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

nice setup congrats...we will all be waiting on the numbers
Old 03-30-05, 07:48 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

I was driving it around the nieghbohood like this earlier...

Neighbors stared and shook their heads lol
Attached Thumbnails Turbo ES Project - Pics Inside-dscn1029.jpg  
Old 03-30-05, 10:33 PM
George Hsieh
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

common.. let us see some video with some swooshing..

George

Quick Reply: Turbo ES Project - Pics Inside