ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Brake light on dash is going on and off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-05, 09:42 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

1y, 3w, 4d, 23h & 51m later.

j/k.
Old 12-12-05, 03:14 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm having the same occurrence now on my '01 ES. After viewing the fluid reservoir and the various threads discussing this issue, I'm beginning to believe that my brake fluid is getting close to the MIN level, and the color of the fluid is not as light as before. I had the fluid previously changed as part of the 90K service when my car was at 86,700 miles. Now it's at 117,600 miles, and it's been almost 31K miles with the fluid, so it's probably about that time to get it flushed out and re-filled (already made an appointment for tomorrow)
Old 12-12-05, 04:16 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah its usually just a low fluid indicator. (though i was a moron in my last car and drove 20 miles with my ebrake on) lol there was no indicator light though....so im not a complete moron(plus it was a foot ebrake)
Old 12-12-05, 04:45 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Ya it's time 3 years / 36,000 miles.
Old 12-13-05, 11:35 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, I got the brake fluid bled, flushed and refilled today at a tire/service facility here in Orlando. It came out to about $100, and they were nice enough to check the pads and rotors for free. No more of the brake warning light (I still have no idea why Lexus thinks it has to do with indicating the life of your brake pads) I definitely felt a difference with the new fluid, as there is no more of that "spongy" feeling I felt before with the brake pedal. The braking is noticeably firmer (although I'm sure it will be a lot more responsive when I get a set of Hawk pads next time)

So folks, take the time to look after your brake fluid in your ES (i.e. check the color and level), as this like any other fluid under the hood deteriorates over time, and your braking system is probably the most important component in your car.
Old 12-13-05, 12:19 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I definitely felt a difference with the new fluid, as there is no more of that "spongy" feeling I felt before with the brake pedal.
The spongy feeling was caused by air in the hydraulic system. and when they bled the system they got out all the air. Remember that liquids(Brake Fluid) cannot be compressed.

Last edited by amf1932; 09-16-06 at 06:23 AM.
Old 01-11-06, 05:09 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

please host an image and copy the URL link.....cause the link you used is worthless.
Old 09-15-06, 11:15 PM
tqsmooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, this is what's happening to my 99 ES300. It's funny because when my girlfriend drives it the red BRAKE light turns on, that's the only way that I know theres a problem because when I'm in the car or driving nothing turns on. She tells me that it randomly turns off and on.

I'm gonna take it in to get the fluid flushed. Hope that works.
Old 09-16-06, 05:56 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's see if this makes sense ...

As the four sets of brake pads wear, the thickness of the pads are replaced in the brake cylinders by brake fluid. This causes the fluid level in the reservoir to drop.

In effect now, the brake fluid low in it's reservoir is an indicator that the brake pads should at very least be checked for thickness and near need of replacement.

The inner pads have a pointer attached to ride on the rotor when wear is extreme.
Old 10-14-06, 03:43 PM
Bottomsout
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tammy
Let's see if this makes sense ...

As the four sets of brake pads wear, the thickness of the pads are replaced in the brake cylinders by brake fluid. This causes the fluid level in the reservoir to drop.

In effect now, the brake fluid low in it's reservoir is an indicator that the brake pads should at very least be checked for thickness and near need of replacement.

The inner pads have a pointer attached to ride on the rotor when wear is extreme.

You sir are on it!

Same thing with a hydraulic clutch
Old 10-15-06, 12:44 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

If its not the brake pads, and if the fluid drop i suggest checking the brake line. i had a problem 1 time . the brake light comes on and off and i thought it was the e-brake but it wasn't. as i was walking towards the hood there was some liquid coming down from my car. to only find out that my brake line had busted. to make the problem worse i was 20mile away from home. so me and my friend decide to jack the car up and TAPE that sukker ( brake line) and hop on the freeway ( 3am in the morning, no cars. *stupid me* but i was lucky) and had my friend follow me home safely. and later replace the next day.

the point is, check everything... pads, brake resivor, brake line....
this can be a life and death situation .I and every here on club lexus doesn't want anybody to get hurt.
if you do have a problem with stopping and or see anytype of fluid coming from the line *STOP DRIVING COMPLETELY* and please solve the problem and if you can't. have it towed and let a professional get it done.

just wanted to say that...
Old 10-15-06, 12:57 PM
HaveBlue
Driver

Many cars also have a bias valve with a sensor to detect pressure differential between wheels. That will light warning light too.

Originally Posted by swifty562
If its not the brake pads, and if the fluid drop i suggest checking the brake line. i had a problem 1 time . the brake light comes on and off and i thought it was the e-brake but it wasn't. as i was walking towards the hood there was some liquid coming down from my car. to only find out that my brake line had busted. to make the problem worse i was 20mile away from home. so me and my friend decide to jack the car up and TAPE that sukker ( brake line) and hop on the freeway ( 3am in the morning, no cars. *stupid me* but i was lucky) and had my friend follow me home safely. and later replace the next day.

the point is, check everything... pads, brake resivor, brake line....
this can be a life and death situation .I and every here on club lexus doesn't want anybody to get hurt.
if you do have a problem with stopping and or see anytype of fluid coming from the line *STOP DRIVING COMPLETELY* and please solve the problem and if you can't. have it towed and let a professional get it done.

just wanted to say that...
Old 10-16-06, 07:39 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another reason the light may be coming on is becuz your leaking brake fluid. check your brake hoses, it happened to me, i noticed the light was on when i was driving and couldnt figure out why. soon i started having to press the brake pedal harder and harder to get the car to stop, when i checked the brake hoses, they were leaking badly evrytime i pressed on the pedal. took it in had the hoses changed for about $40 and its perfectly fine now. light finally came off .
Old 10-16-06, 10:27 AM
philES300
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar problem which i posted in the maintenence section. It is the E-brake light that comes on once and a while, not the other brake light. Faulty sensor maybe?