ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Brake light on dash is going on and off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-04, 12:20 PM
SHICKS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light on dash is going on and off?

Does anybody know what this means. This is a 98 ES300. I don't drive the car, this is what my mom tells me. Is there a brake pad wear sensor? or maybe low brake fluid?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 10-27-04, 06:44 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The red 'BRAKE' warning light could possibly mean either low level for the brake fluid, or something is wrong with one or more of your ABS sensors. It has absolutely nothing to do with your brake pads.
Old 10-27-04, 09:49 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

mine does this, if i pick up the handle on the hand brake and then drop it real quick (dont let it click) then it goes away for a while...

i have a short in the sensor on the ebrake handle.
Old 10-28-04, 12:44 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i m sure its the fluid. I had the same issue with my 98 as well. Stupidly driving around with one hand holding the E-braks up to see if it was lose. lol.
Old 11-14-04, 09:56 PM
grnstreak
Driver School Candidate

how hard is it to pop open your hood and look at the fluid level?
Old 11-15-04, 06:13 AM
SHICKS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by grnstreak
how hard is it to pop open your hood and look at the fluid level?

Don't contribute negative comments if you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I stated in my first post "I don't drive the car, this is what my mom tells me." I am just going by what my 67 year old mother is telling me on the phone. Just wanted to know what to expect before she brought it in to the dealer.

Thanks for your help,
Steve
Old 11-15-04, 07:24 AM
grnstreak
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, is it really that hard for you to explain to your mother, whether the brake fluid is full or not?

67 or not... if she has a license to get behind the wheel of a car, she should be able to pop open the hood and look at the brake fluid level. If she can't do that, she shouldn't be on the road.

Is it worth it for a technician to charge your mother for labor, when the problem could be something as simplistic as brake fluid?

Check out my other posts... I must really NOT have any "CLUE" of what I am talking about.
Old 11-15-04, 08:29 AM
SHICKS
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, is it really that hard for you to explain to your mother, whether the brake fluid is full or not? - Actually no, I walked her through it long before you responed to this thread, she could not tell me because the fluid level looked to be at the full line.

67 or not... if she has a license to get behind the wheel of a car, she should be able to pop open the hood and look at the brake fluid level. If she can't do that, she shouldn't be on the road. Great response, because everyone who drives a car has the same in depth mechanical knowledge you do, which must be linked to her ability to drive a car.

Is it worth it for a technician to charge your mother for labor, when the problem could be something as simplistic as brake fluid? Yes, she should be charged, however on her most recent visit the fluid level was fine. I was just trying to research and gather infomation on this forum, I thought that is why ClubLexus.com exists in the first place.

Check out my other posts... I must really NOT have any "CLUE" of what I am talking about. - I don't doubt you knowledge of cars. I do doubt you ability to provide a friendly enviroment to users of all levels to post questions about their car, without your worthless sarcasm.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by SHICKS; 11-15-04 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-15-04, 09:11 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SHICKS......Calm down. Some of the posters on this site, as many others are not as tactful as you and I might like.
Old 11-15-04, 09:14 AM
grnstreak
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Brake light on dash is going on and off?

Originally posted by SHICKS
Does anybody know what this means. This is a 98 ES300. I don't drive the car, this is what my mom tells me. Is there a brake pad wear sensor? or maybe low brake fluid?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
"maybe low brake fluid?"
What was the point of stating this then?

Basic mechanics should be taught to everyone who drives a car. It's not pointless to show someone how to change a spare tire, check all the fluids, or do some preventative maintence.

In all actuality, fluid checks, and tire pressures should be checked everytime you get gas.

"you can give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day; Or you can show man how to fish, and he can eat for the rest of his life"

Sorry if im coming across as a bit harsh, but I feel that everyone can do at least PM and take care of their cars. Cars would last a lot longer if people actually took their time to take care of them.

Last edited by grnstreak; 11-15-04 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-15-04, 10:01 AM
SHICKS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by amf1932
SHICKS......Calm down. Some of the posters on this site, as many others are not as tactful as you and I might like.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-05, 08:10 AM
za3879
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is there an official word on this issue yet? I just recently started having this "BRAKE" light greet me now and then. Yet to check all of aforementioned.
Old 12-12-05, 09:10 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

It's the warning light indicating both low brake fluid level & that you're driving with the parking brake on.
Old 12-12-05, 09:35 AM
csaxon
Driver

Finally, a voice of reason.
Old 12-12-05, 09:42 AM
za3879
Rookie

Well i'm definitely not a moron to be driving around with the E-brake engaged. It must be the brake fluid and not an electrical problem then, per your indications.

Quick Reply: Brake light on dash is going on and off?