ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

97 transmission concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-04 | 08:01 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Default 97 transmission concerns.

Hi folks, I'm relatively new to the forums. I recently purchased a 97 ES300 with 69K and full service history from Lexus Canada. The car has never been in an accident. My problems is that shifting from first to second can be felt at all speeds...basically it feels like the car "rolls" into second...there is no jerk or noise of any sort, just a slight pushing roll feeling into second gear.

Also, when I'm decelerating from 4th gear or higher, I've noticed that around the 3rd-2nd or the 2nd to 1st gear downshift, I can feel a slight shudder..once again no noise but a distinct shuddering.

After poring through the forums, I've determined my mounts are in good shape. I know the transmission fluid was changed about 20K prior to my purchase by Lexus ...would another transmission change/differential change make a difference?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated...
Old 10-28-04 | 12:56 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

My 97 with 110,000 miles is similar. It shifts hard, like a jerk out of first and sometimes 2nd. The rest of the gears seem fine. Also, when mine downshifts from 2nd to 1st I can feel a jerk then too. I had my fluid completely flushed about 5K miles ago at the dealership. This is a good thread ssultan, hopefully someone can help us out because I have been concerned for the same reason.
Old 10-28-04 | 01:12 PM
ssultan
Pole Position

Yup DK. I agree. I know that people like Lexusk8 have an indepth understanding of our cars. Hopefully we can both work through our problems with their help.
Old 10-28-04 | 08:15 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

If you are having weird transmission behavior on your '97 ES, and you checked out that the tranny fluid is OK, it may be possible that there is some clogging up of the fuel lines and/or fuel filter. This can happen when you are running poor quality or low-grade fuel. Try cleaning your fuel tank by inserting a bottle of fuel treatment cleaner. Any brand of cleaner is good, but I highly recommend Chevron w/ Techron concentrate (it can be found at your local auto parts store for around $6). Also, use reputable gas stations for fill-ups like Mobil, Exxon, Sunoco, etc. Don't go to a Joe-Schmoe filling station as the condition of their fuel is questionable.

It may be a long shot, but it's a good idea to also check out your spark plugs. If you notice any of them w/ burnt ends, replace the entire set. Spark plugs should be changed every 90K miles.

Good luck!
Old 10-29-04 | 06:48 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Thanks Lexusk8, but would fuel treatment and spark plugs have any effect on rough shifting between first and second gears....?
Old 10-29-04 | 08:08 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ssultan
Thanks Lexusk8, but would fuel treatment and spark plugs have any effect on rough shifting between first and second gears....?
I'm just saying that it's possible it might have an effect to the transmission rough shifting, but it never hurts to put in fuel treatment to your car. In fact, I do this on mine 1-2 times a year. Try it out
Old 10-29-04 | 08:15 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Thanks Lexusk8, will try it. This fuel treatment is not the same as the "fuel injector cleaner" additive...? I added that stuff a couple of times when I got the car...STP brand...concentrated. Didn't seem to do anything though.
Old 10-29-04 | 08:20 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

This fuel treatment is not the same as the "fuel injector cleaner" additive...
AFAIK, they're the same terminology.
Old 10-29-04 | 08:21 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Hmmm...okay so the cleaners are out. That leaves the spark plugs. I think I'll have a look at them sometime soon to narrow it down further. Thank for the ideas lexusk8.
Old 11-03-04 | 01:34 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

I use the same gas every time, 93 Oct @ Holiday. It is the highest octane in my area and probably the cleanest/best stations. I also have put in Chevron w/ techron a little while ago. I'm not freaking out about it or anything. I am a little concerned and the jerking is quite annoying IMO. I don't want to have to pay for a tranny rebuild, I'm in college now and wouldn't be able to afford it. Plus, the reason I got a Lex was for reliability.
Old 11-04-04 | 10:02 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

I agree. I'm not freaking out about it either, it's just plain annoying and usually it's just me who notices the slight rolling/jerking between first and second and vice versa. Other than that, the car has been an absolute pleasure to drive and own.
Old 11-04-04 | 10:18 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

I agree. I'm not freaking out about it either, it's just plain annoying and usually it's just me who notices the slight rolling/jerking between first and second and vice versa. Other than that, the car has been an absolute pleasure to drive and own.
I'll be honest that the slight rolling/jerking of the tranny does happen on my ES, but only when I take it out on the road for the first time on any given day (usually when I drive off to work). It also happens when I slow down a hill and then accelerate on some level road. This transmission behavior is dependent on the computer learning the road and driving patterns, so if any inconsistency in these patterns shows up, the tranny would feel a little jerky (but not to the point of strong hesitation).

All in all, I consider these patterns as normal and nothing for me to be concerned. You should be happy with your ES if yours exhibit the same kind of behavior as mine does.
Old 11-04-04 | 11:10 AM
ssultan
Pole Position

Thanks lexusk8...but I WISH Nope, mine isn't a rare occurence by a long shot. It's repetitive and consistent. Every first to second gear shift is a rolling/jerking shift...all others are smooth. Coming down, a slight rumbling is experienced between second and first as well.

I can sometimes/rarely feel the same rolling/jerking between second and third when accelerating hard but like you said, I attribute that as normal and don't worry about it. It's the first two gears that consistently display this behavior and worry me.

I was reading a bit online, do you think the accumulator associated with the second gear could be faulty? What about hooking up to an ECT analyser to determine if fault is electrical or mechanical/transmission. Are these expensive diagnostic checks if done by lexus? I'm assuming the analyser equipment is a bit beyond the scope of a diy project
Old 11-04-04 | 12:46 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

ssultan, the constantly repetitive jerking behavior b/w the 1st and 2nd gear shifts is definitely not normal at all. Maybe you can try to reset the ECU on your car and see what happens. This can be done by either disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery for 10-15 sec and reconnecting it, or unplugging and replugging the ECU fuse (location is noted in your owner's manual).

If nothing happens and you have run into all sorts of methods to try to remedy the problem, I'd say bring the car to the Lexus dealership and have the service dept determine the problem. It will cost you at least a diagnostic fee of $85 or so. Good luck
Old 11-04-04 | 01:17 PM
ssultan
Pole Position

Thanks again Lexusk8, as always your suggestions are most welcome. I will try to reset the ecu as you suggested tonight right after work. Will update you of any change. Meanwhile, I'm planning on taking it in for a routine oil/filter next week and will talk to the service manager.

Quick Reply: 97 transmission concerns.