ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Finally got my 5% tint

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-04, 12:50 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Window tinting is hazardous to your health! Anything that cuts your vision is a no, no as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-20-04, 09:00 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by amf1932
Window tinting is hazardous to your health! Anything that cuts your vision is a no, no as far as I'm concerned.
That may be true, but there are other states like Florida that highly encourage window tinting (even for household windows) in order to reduce interior heat and UV radiation.
Old 11-20-04, 09:04 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

maybe in new york, but in TX, LA, CA, AZ, NM, FL, OK, GA, AL, MS, and all of the other southern US its practically a MUST. you will FRY if you dont have it, especially if you are used to cold weather.

its still 70 degrees here in Ft. Worth and its Nov 20th...
Old 11-20-04, 10:36 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The glass supplied on Lexus's are already slightly tinted to reduce the UV radiation to acceptable levels and do not affect your outward visibility to an appreciable degree......especially at night, where you need all the vision you can get for safety reasons. Nobody is going to tell me that a car that has the added window tint is as safe as the cars that don't.

As far as the heat build up inside the car..........That's why Lexus's have powerful Air Conditioners.
Old 11-21-04, 12:06 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The slightly tinted windows are nothing. I know how the TX, CA, FL, etc. people feel... I am on Guam and I don't know what I'd do without tint. Sometimes I wish the driver's seat was cloth, I have to deal with the hot seat 365 days of the year.... Having 20% tint helps, I'd like the 5% on the sides maybe, but like I said, I'd have trouble seeing at night.
Old 11-21-04, 12:13 AM
93lexuses
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The glass supplied on Lexus's are already slightly tinted to reduce the UV radiation to acceptable levels and do not affect your outward visibility to an appreciable degree......especially at night, where you need all the vision you can get for safety reasons. Nobody is going to tell me that a car that has the added window tint is as safe as the cars that don't.

As far as the heat build up inside the car..........That's why Lexus's have powerful Air Conditioners.
My husband says the same thing.
I think it looks nice though.
Old 11-21-04, 02:20 PM
ARISTO*7
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5% is nuts.. i have a hard time seeing out my 20%. but still looking good.
Old 11-21-04, 04:48 PM
za3879
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tints

I think that tints are a very essential component to any car. Depending on the car, different percentages give different effects. on my 5.0, i have 5% all around cuz it just looks so much nicer. on the LS and ES, i have 30% which gives me the necessary sun deflection, and also a classy look without makin it too 'gangstuh'. every single car in my family including parents, sisters, etc etc are all tinted. its pretty muchthe first thing we do when we get a car.
Old 11-21-04, 05:26 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Tint does more than look cool. It reduces the interior temperature of the car by almost 20 %, thats quite a bit. A good friend of mine does window tinting Professionaly (owns his own shop since before i was born!!!), so i know all about it. It will keep your headliner adhesive from coming unglued. Down here in Texas that is a MAJOR problem, becuase the interior temperature of a car can reach that of an OVEN and will make the glue lose its adhesability (is that a word?) not to mention it keeps interior panels and leather from fading. I am seriously considering getting 5% on the rear and 30% on the front 2 doors, simply because i am tired of the fading panels. That and also, tint helps reduce dash heat warp, another major problem here in texas, and the only solution to fix the dash warp, is to replace the dash ($$$$$$$$$$).

its cheaper and more effective to get window tint. 35% yields good protection, and still allows you to see at night.

i personally do not see the problem with 5%, i had 2.5% on my contour's rear windows and i could see ok....just throw in some 55W Reverse Ligths if you are that worried about it. $15 a set at JCWhitney.

Nobody is going to tell me that a car that has the added window tint is as safe as the cars that don't.
no i wont tell you that...but what i will tell you is that when i had my accident in my contour, the ONLY thing that kept the glass from shattering and getting in my eyes and everywhere else was the fact tat i DID have wndow tint. the film kept the glass held together and kept it from getting in my eyes. so in a way, it is much safer. but i do see your point, limo tint does reduce your visibility to a degree, but if it wasnt safe, they wouldnt allow it in TX. believe me.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-21-04 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-21-04, 05:46 PM
BigRich
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just did it for looks !!

However, the car is black on black and the tint does help keep the leather from burning the **** outta me on those hot summer days..
Old 11-21-04, 08:23 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I too have noticed a big difference in my ES when I decided to add tint several months ago. I'm 100% happy that I made that relatively hard decision, esp. since I was worried about not seeing well at nighttime. In fact it hardly makes any difference when I see out the windows (35% all 4 windows, 20% on the rear). I was also worried about the tint interfering with the operation of the rear defogger and window antenna lines, but it has yielded no problems

Here's my tinting page (w/ pics)
Old 11-22-04, 03:33 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by lexusk8
I too have noticed a big difference in my ES when I decided to add tint several months ago. I'm 100% happy that I made that relatively hard decision, esp. since I was worried about not seeing well at nighttime. In fact it hardly makes any difference when I see out the windows (35% all 4 windows, 20% on the rear). I was also worried about the tint interfering with the operation of the rear defogger and window antenna lines, but it has yielded no problems

Here's my tinting page (w/ pics)
if done right, it will never lead to problems.