ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

License Plate Light Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 06:55 PM
a13n0rma1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default License Plate Light Bulb

How do I get to it?

Also how do I get the fabric off of the upper part of the trunk?

And, while we're at it, how do I get at the bulbs for the read turn signals/back up lights?
Old 12-08-04, 08:18 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume you are talking about a '97-'01 ES. Here's how you do it:

Accessing tailight bulbs (i.e. turn signals, brake and tail lights). The back-up lights are located behind the trunk lid, and there's a velcro "door" from which you can easily access the reverse lights and tail light bulbs. Can't get any easier than that for these ES tailights

For the license plate lights, use a small flathead and pry around the outer circular plastic covering of the screw, and it should pop out. See pic below of how it's done from my '01 ES

Old 03-25-05, 01:27 PM
mb12345
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi Lexusk8,

You have posted some very detailed instructions on replacing various light bulbs. I need to replace the license plate bulbs and the passenger side lowbeam bulb.

I tried replacing the license plate bulb by following your instructions. I could remove the plastic screw, but only half the assembly comes out. I didn't apply a lot of force for the fear of breaking it, but the whole assembly doesn't pop out. Is there any hidden screw or hinge to remove the assembly?

I also printed out the various instructions you had posted (both on CL and LOC) about replacing the passenger side lowbeam bulb. I removed the connector and pulled out the black rubber covering. But I just couldn't remove the bulb. I could see the hinge somewhere inside the casing. I tried different ways to remove it, but no luck. Which direction does the hinge open? And is it easy to put it back on?

Thanks again!!
Old 03-25-05, 02:02 PM
a13n0rma1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When half the assembly comes out, pull it towards the left or right, whichever side it fell out to.

You really do have to apply force with a lot of things, it's a shame.

And, for the passenger side assembly, remove the bolts holding the housing on and give it a reallllly good luck on the garage floor. It'll help you a lot next time you do a bulb change.
Old 03-25-05, 07:22 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mb12345
I also printed out the various instructions you had posted (both on CL and LOC) about replacing the passenger side lowbeam bulb. I removed the connector and pulled out the black rubber covering. But I just couldn't remove the bulb. I could see the hinge somewhere inside the casing. I tried different ways to remove it, but no luck. Which direction does the hinge open? And is it easy to put it back on?
You're halfway there. If you look carefully at the hinge that locks the back of the bulb to the headlight housing, you'll see that the hinge is actually "locked" to a crescent-shaped hook. In order to unlock the hinge, just push down on the hinge with your finger (wear a rubber glove if you have to) until it unhooks from the hook. Then release the hinge and away from the bulb, and you'll be able to easily remove the actual headlight bulb. From that point on, pull out the black plastic adapter piece from the old bulb to the new bulb (make sure it's oriented the same way), and reinstall the bulb in reverse steps as mentioned.

If you have any trouble with the bulb, we could meet up somewhere in Fairfield County, and I'll give you a good bulb instructional for the ES in 10 min
Old 03-26-05, 09:21 AM
mb12345
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusk8
You're halfway there. If you look carefully at the hinge that locks the back of the bulb to the headlight housing, you'll see that the hinge is actually "locked" to a crescent-shaped hook. In order to unlock the hinge, just push down on the hinge with your finger (wear a rubber glove if you have to) until it unhooks from the hook. Then release the hinge and away from the bulb, and you'll be able to easily remove the actual headlight bulb. From that point on, pull out the black plastic adapter piece from the old bulb to the new bulb (make sure it's oriented the same way), and reinstall the bulb in reverse steps as mentioned.

If you have any trouble with the bulb, we could meet up somewhere in Fairfield County, and I'll give you a good bulb instructional for the ES in 10 min
Thanks lexusk8. I will give it another try. I would be delighted to meet you and get some of your insight on maintaining the ES I live in Stamford and work in Rye Brook, NY (on the border of NY and CT, it is right next to Greenwich).